BX24 runs rough and stalls

citykubotaboy

Equipment
Kubota BX24 and RTV500
Jan 6, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
My bx24 just recently started running rough and stalling. Has 250hrs and is maintained according to the serice intervals in the manual. I assume its a fuel issue and was thinking of draining fuel, changing fuel filters and filling up with new diesel...any other thoughts/ideas?

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Fuel pump????? It is located near the the fuel filter mid way under the tractor. It looks simular to another fuel filter, however it is metal looking. Hope this helps.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Do all the easy things first drain the tank and change the filters, and if it is still running like a POS then I have to assume it is still under warranty the call the dealer.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
"Recently" there's been a bit of cold snap does it have the right dose of anti-gel?
First thing I point to is the fuel tank or lines. A couple reasons; I had stink bugs get in my tank and intermittently cause that problem as they plugged/unplugged the outlet hole. Plus, a handful of folks here also had problems with slime build up in the fuel line or fuel return line from the delivery pump to the tank. Low hours use, a partly full tank and humidity leads to an algae slime build-up that chokes off fuel circulation.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
STINK BUGS IN YOUR FUEL????? Dude ya gota put the cap back on when your done fillin it,,,lol,,, Im just funnin with ya, but I know down here in the coal country I have never had any stink bugs around the diesel. But I guess that dont mean nuttin as them critters seem to show up everyplace. And everything else could be a good reason. I dont know about the fuel around the Burgh, but I have been running so called off road fuel (same fuel dyed red and no road tax) in the orange thing since I have had her, could be he might want to try a different station,,, Just MHO you understand

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
This model had no fuel-filler-neck screen. There are slots, like the pressure relief slots on a soda bottle, on the threads of the filler neck. I figure the stinkers crept up in the slots; then when the cap was unscrewed they just fell into the tank. Talk about a come and go problem. Plus they were black when wet with fuel, in a black plastic tank, so even when drained the tank looked spotless. Weird stuff happens.

citykubotaboy

Equipment
Kubota BX24 and RTV500
Jan 6, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for all your input...change the fuel filters last night and that did the trick...running like a champ again so bring on the snow and I'll plow it!

pilot

Equipment
BX24
Jul 3, 2015
Seattle, Washington
My bx24 just recently started running rough and stalling. Has 250hrs and is maintained according to the serice intervals in the manual. I assume its a fuel issue and was thinking of draining fuel, changing fuel filters and filling up with new diesel...any other thoughts/ideas?
I need to check for debris in tank maybe partially blocking outlet hole.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you check for debris in tank maybe partially blocking outlet hole ?
Good advice, but Read Post #8 :)

And I sure hope he would have gotten it figured out by now, check date on posts, that post is 3 1/2 years old. :eek: ;) :D

pilot

Equipment
BX24
Jul 3, 2015
Seattle, Washington
Good advice, but Read Post #8 :)

And I sure hope he would have gotten it figured out by now, check date on posts, that post is 3 1/2 years old. :eek: ;) :D
oops, I'm new on here and didn't look for a date. Anyway trying to fix this same problem on my bx24 and my next step is to check the bottom of the tank and probably the line running to the first fuel filter. Tractor starts up fine and then after a minute or so loses power and idle drops then after 15 seconds or so it powers back up and runs ok for a minute or two then repeats the power loss again over and over again, usually doesn't die though. Also seems the fuel gauge is not reliable so I am wondering if it is rusted up, maybe rust from it is clogging the exit hole in the tank as I read happened to someone else.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No apogees needed, just didn't want you to go unanswered, as it happens with older posts.

Yes a blockage in the tank can cause those issues.
Check that, and allege growth.
I've also heard that the fuel pump going out on those models can cause the same type of symptoms as it just is not moving enough fuel to keep up.

pilot

Equipment
BX24
Jul 3, 2015
Seattle, Washington
No apogees needed, just didn't want you to go unanswered, as it happens with older posts.

Yes a blockage in the tank can cause those issues.
Check that, and allege growth.
I've also heard that the fuel pump going out on those models can cause the same type of symptoms as it just is not moving enough fuel to keep up.
Funny you should mention the fuel pump, I originally checked that and it seemed to be working fine, now that I think about it seems it was sort of sputtering fuel out and not a steady stream.