How important is the inner air filter on L3800

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I purchased a used tractor last weekend and little by little been doing a little cleaning up and maintenance. I could see the paint on the tractor was pretty scratched up so I initially had fears it was a rough tractor. But talking with the owner he said he did the 50 hour service and the scratched paint was from hydraulic hoses running over the fender from the loader to a 3pt snowblower. Kind of careless I thought, but I could under stand it.

Anyway, tonight I went to change out the air cleaner and it was just black. When I took it out I realized he never even installed the inner air cleaner. So how much dirt has my tractor eaten? Do I need to clean this thing up and get rid of it ASAP before it starts having issues? Or is the inner air cleaner not really a big issue?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I purchased a used tractor last weekend and little by little been doing a little cleaning up and maintenance. I could see the paint on the tractor was pretty scratched up so I initially had fears it was a rough tractor. But talking with the owner he said he did the 50 hour service and the scratched paint was from hydraulic hoses running over the fender from the loader to a 3pt snowblower. Kind of careless I thought, but I could under stand it.

Anyway, tonight I went to change out the air cleaner and it was just black. When I took it out I realized he never even installed the inner air cleaner. So how much dirt has my tractor eaten? Do I need to clean this thing up and get rid of it ASAP before it starts having issues? Or is the inner air cleaner not really a big issue?
I would get two new ones, as far as getting rid of it, I would not, just cause it sucked some bad air....if running well - I would get it a new breathing tube and let it run!!!:D:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The second filter is only an option for use in extremely dusty environments.
Most likely it never came with one and therefore has never had a second filter in it. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
The L3800 did not come with the inner or second air filter. Clean air is paramount to a diesel engines longevity. Replace the old filter and get the inner filter. Better a little too much than not quite enough. Ed B

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA

Fargo,

I wondered about that also when I changed air filters on our L3700SU. North Idaho Wolfman said it right. It's primarily for extremely dusty conditions. My dealer confirmed that also.

I run with just the one filter and keep a spare.

Can you find out where your tractor was used? If it was used in a coal mine or loading some noxious chemicals it might be a concern. Most likely all is OK.

Burt

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Dude, you're over thinking this tractor stuff. :eek:

I only run a single filter here...

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Get the inner filter and run both of them. I actually changed my L3000 over to the dual filter system. Why would you not run it if all you have to do is put one in. Like the others said it's for dusty conditions but why not spend a couple more bucks for the added protection. Go look at a Grand L, it will have a dual filter and so will the M series tractors.

That $10 filter doesn't seem like much but multiply that times 5000 tractors and Kubota just saved a chunk of money by leaving that filter out of the cheaper tractors. At least all you have to do is stick the filter in, I had to replace the entire air filter system.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Thanks guys. Good information. I never realized the 2nd filter was an option. I thought it came with it and the guy ditched it. The tractor was used for everything from mowing to cultivating to snow blowing. So some extremely dusty stuff and some not so much.

I don't think I'll do anything rash like sell the tractor. But I did get both filters and installed both right away. Thanks again. You all have a good 4th of July.

Bluegill - I found humor in your comment. I over think everything. I guess the tractor stuff is no different for me. Just something new. Thanks for all the advice. You've been helpful for all my concerns.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Glad to be of help Fargo. You have a very good tractor, enjoy.

Oh & I'll likely add the second filter on mine when the org needs changing. :cool:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Fargo, just to add you don't need to change the inner filter except when it's dirty. And as long as the outer filter does it's job the inner should be good years of use. I went to a Cat school years ago and they told use it's actually better not to remove the inner filter unless it's being changed.
I always keep one on hand just in case but I've had the same one in my tractor for a few years now.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Fargo,

The outer filter is designed to be washed. And if we "turneth to the great owners manu-wail..."

EVERY 100 HOURS

CLEANING AIR CLEANER ELEMENT (SINGLE ELEMENT TYPE)

1. Remove the element.
2. Clean the element:
1. When dry dust adheres to the element, blow compressed air from the inside, turning the element. Pressure of compressed air must be under 30 psi.
2. When carbon or oil adheres to the element, soak the element in detergent for 15 minutes then wash it several times in water, rinse with clean water, and dry it naturally. After element is fully dried, inspect inside of element with a light and check if it is damaged or not. (referring to the instructions on the label attached to the case.)
3. Replace air cleaner element: Once yearly or after every sixth cleaning, whichever comes first.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I do the same as bull dog and usually just change the outer filter and leave the inner one. I think out of thirty pieces of equipment this year, I've only replaced one inner air filter.

On a side note. Sometimes the filters turn black from carbon from the exhaust. This depends on where it's pointing, height, and relationship to the air filter. Sometimes it comes from a leak at the exhaust manifold too. If it's carbon you can tell by the smudges they leave on your fingers :rolleyes:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with replacing once a year but when did K&N start making filters for tractors?

I've never seen or heard of a paper filter you can wash.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I agree with replacing once a year but when did K&N start making filters for tractors?

I've never seen or heard of a paper filter you can wash.
I too was surprised to read the post about washing a paper filter. Was that in the manual for a L3800 or some other tractor with a different type of filter? Maybe Kubota has some small equipment that uses the old foam filters???

In regards to K&N I no longer use their filters in my vehicles either. I don't think they filter as good as paper. They can also really make a mess of mass air flow sensors if over oiled. And unless you are really winding up your engine at high rpm, the airbox is most vehicles will flow enough air. So no real performance gain either. But thats a topic for another forum.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Nope.

That was directly out of the 2012 L3800 Operators Manual and directed at the one and only part number for that machine.

The confusion may be because cotton and paper are seen as mutually exclusive opposites. In reality, some paper filters are thick and flexible, almost like cotton. As I remember, mine has a screen on the inside which helps support the filter element. Once, while in a hurry, I let the filter dry in the sun for a couple hours and then put it on the tractor slightly damp and started it and let it idle. It went from damp to bone dry by the time the engine toasty-meter got off the peg.

I have hosed off a couple filters and they change in color a little but, the innards still seem clean as can be when I take them off later -at least compared to the outside! Filters and fresh oil: The keys to a long and trouble-free life.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll pass on the filter washing unless it's a K&N type. It cost my friend 10K for a new engine last year (not filter related) so I'll spend a few dollars on a new filter instead of trying to reuse one. I don't blow mine out with air either so when it gets that dirty I'll just stuff a new one in.

M9000 cost $23 for outer filter and the L3000 / bobcat 325 cost $13ea for the outer. I only change once a year so that's just over $4 a month if you break it down that way. Just my opinion, but it's not worth the risk to keep using old filters.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
I was a heavy equipment mechanic for about ten years. We had a local filter cleaning outfit that would pick up and drop off once a week. We would get about three or four washing out of a new filter and they would do the light bulb test on every filter before returning them. If they failed after the washing, we would not get charged. They had some sort of ultrasonic tank full of a soap solution that would clean them and then just a good rinse and dry. The machines that I worked on all had inner filter, but that was not only because of the dusty environment, it was a safety measure because in that kind of environment, it is easy for something to happen. We primarily used WIX filter because they made alot of the ones for the companies and crossed over to OEM numbers.
The last point I would like to make is that yes, the inner filter is there for a back up. It is the same micron rating as the outer, but out here in Oregon, we have so much moisture the it deteriorates the paper fibers and I change my filters annually. That come from most manuals. You know, change your filter every 250 hrs or annually.
Put a new filter in, if your in really dusty conditions or just want the insurance, put in an inner and enjoy your tractor.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
...The last point I would like to make is that yes, the inner filter is there for a back up. It is the same micron rating as the outer, ....
Thats interesting. I assumed the inner filter had a smaller micron rating. Thats good to know. I imagine that its possible for dirt to get through the first filter and caught in the 2nd, even though they are the same micron rating. But it does give comfort that the 1st filter really should catch everything.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
You also have to take into consideration that is was a production enviroment and down time for service work was not looked upon as a neccesity. There was usally no blow down or hose off before the air cleaner was opened up, and when the POUNDS of dust came off when you changed the outter filter, you understood real quick why there was an inner one. Most homeowners take much better care of their equipment from what I have seen.