BX2360 - Fuel Guage sending unit

Charlie165

Equipment
BX2360
I am having the loss of power issue after running for a while which is well documented in these threads.

Looks like I too am heading for the fuel tank debris issue.

I am interested in the "Fuel Guage sending unit" rusting issue that has been mentioned (and pictured) on a couple of posts.

Would someone please tell me where this unit is located and tell me if can I remove and examine it without removing the fuel tank.

Thank you in anticipation.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I am having the loss of power issue after running for a while which is well documented in these threads.

Looks like I too am heading for the fuel tank debris issue.

I am interested in the "Fuel Guage sending unit" rusting issue that has been mentioned (and pictured) on a couple of posts.

Would someone please tell me where this unit is located and tell me if can I remove and examine it without removing the fuel tank.

Thank you in anticipation.
Charlie,

I have had the same issue with my BX2350. The fuel gauge sending unit is located under the left fender. To remove the sending unit you have to remove the ROPS, the seat, the floor pan, ALL the control handles, and the fender (left and right are 1 piece). THEN you can get to the tank. It is a royal pain to get at it. Mine had a BUNCH of big rust flakes in the tank that were plugging up the outlet regularly. After getting the old unit out, I painted the new one with an epoxy paint (HOPEFULLY preventing future rust) and put it in. Getting the BX back together meant the whole project took me about 12 hours of work time over 2 days. Because mine is out of warrantee, the dealer quoted me nearly $300 to get it done. Fixed income says NO WAY ! ! ! When I took the old one to the dealer for replacement, they said that they had NEVER had to sell one of those for a rust issue. They claimed that there was never a Kubota issued correction for this problem.

ANYHOW, long story short, I got it together after a LOT of cussing and struggling. Fuel gauge work great now. Will have to wait and see if the rust issue comes back.

I would suggest that if you are mechanically inclines AND have the metric tools, go ahead and do it yourself. Otherwise, get it to the dealer. BTW, the new sending unit cost me about $65 from the dealer. Had to wait 2 days for it as they did not have in stock.

Dave

Charlie165

Equipment
BX2360
Dave,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I was afraid of that!!!.

Now I need to decide whether to give it a try or start saving up!! Meanwhile that bush hogging will have to wait as I can only work about 10 minutes before the problem rears its ugly head.

What I don't really understand is why debris (fuel restriction) only kicks in after the tractor is hot. Anyway the symptom that I see and is also described by many others, seems to usually work that way ...whether it is rust flakes, stinky bugs or other tank debris.

Thanks again and wishing you a happy 4th July.

Charlie

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dave,

What I don't really understand is why debris (fuel restriction) only kicks in after the tractor is hot. Anyway the symptom that I see and is also described by many others, seems to usually work that way ...whether it is rust flakes, stinky bugs or other tank debris.
I have a BX2360, and this is the first I've heard of "rusting" issues with the sending unit. Will certainly keep an eye out for it. It's not the best design - look for BX Fuel Gauge threads.

I think the reason it only happens when engine is hot is because it takes some time before the draw of fuel leaving the tank pulls it to the fuel line's outlet from the tank. Then, it starts to sputter.

If their not reliable anyway, I'd be apt to skip the whole sending unit altogether.