Drain Fuel from B7100?

etmccaus

Equipment
B7100DT
Feb 11, 2014
Michigan
Kick myself for this, but a combination of life and finances means I haven't had the opportunity to wrench on or tend to the B7100 in about a year. Haven't fired it up in that time, either. That said, I'm now working to get it up and online again. Obviously, fluid changes are good (and I'd like to do them once I can get it out of the storage shed it's in), but I'm wondering -- should the diesel in the tank be one of those very fluids I should change out? If so, what's the best way I can drain the diesel from the tank?

Appreciate your advice -- I'm used to gas going bad in tractors, but diesel's a whole new world to me. :D

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I am not sure if diesel will go bad in a year or not. However it is easy to drain out so to be on the safe side; just disconnect the fuel hose where it goes in to the fuel filter and let it drain into a bucket. While draining observe the flow of fuel. It should be a steady stream until the tank is almost empty. If it just dribbles out then you have an obstruction in the tank and you will need to find out what is blocking the flow and remove that.
With the tank drained change the fuel filter. After filling the tank you will need to bleed the fuel system. Check back if you need advice on bleeding.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Diesel will be fine unless you have algae growing.

I'd make sure the battery was charged, check oil, check radiator, fire your tractor up, run it for 30-40 minutes then change the oil.

I'm running some diesel now I bought from a homeowner 3 years ago because he couldn't get service on his oil burning furnace, and his tank was full.

I paid him .90 a gallon. When I got it all pumped out he asked me what I was going to do with it. I told him I was going to run it in my tractors he had a real puzzled look on his face!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Kick myself for this, but a combination of life and finances means I haven't had the opportunity to wrench on or tend to the B7100 in about a year. Haven't fired it up in that time, either. That said, I'm now working to get it up and online again. Obviously, fluid changes are good (and I'd like to do them once I can get it out of the storage shed it's in), but I'm wondering -- should the diesel in the tank be one of those very fluids I should change out? If so, what's the best way I can drain the diesel from the tank?

Appreciate your advice -- I'm used to gas going bad in tractors, but diesel's a whole new world to me. :D
My tractors can sit for long long time and never had a problem. If you lived in Southern state with high humidity and temps for a lot of the year then stuff can grow in the diesel.

Standby generators, while being started weekly for an exercise cycle, have the same fuel in their tanks for years.

In your shoes I would try to start it and when the opportunity arises add fresh fuel to whatever is in the tank.

Dave M7040

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would check the tank with a flashlight - see if it looks "good" - then I would glow the plugs for a long time - more so than normal! I over glow mine, now in the summer - I still hit them for 10 seconds, it does not like to fire without a little prewarm of the chamber!

Ohio Logan

Equipment
B6000E, Case W14B, Dodge Cummins, dump trailer
Jun 25, 2015
Clinton
Diesel fuel if CLEAN has a pretty good shelf life. When I store diesel over 6 months I use some type of diesel fuel conditioner. There is lubripricity (possible miss spelling) diesel fuel has a lubricating value. You lose this lubripricity after a while that can cause issues with your injection pump. As far as micro organisms in the fuel or "critters" if you have clean tanks, NO water you will be ok. There is a chemical, hard on humans that will kill the micro organisms you can add to fuel. If there is black sludge that smells like a septic tank in the bottom of your tank, throw out the fuel and clean then tank and or lines.

There was a great article in a camping magazine Sams Clubs, a diesel fuel chemist - engineer had a 4 page article about cloud point, micro organisms, handling practices, storing of diesel and a host of other "neat things" about diesel. A good article for any diesel user to have in his or her possession. Signed Logans Grandpa