Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you can use 80w/90 or strait 90w in that model. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
im confuse beetween udt and gear oil 90/ i dont want to damage my tranny

80 and 90 weight oils are oils that came out many, many years ago - they provide great wear protection where "grinding" and pressure is applied between teeth on gears etc .....

it is very thick - and it sticks to metal parts, leaving a film behind that helps the next movement of the part being lubricated.....but it is very thick - O yes I did repeat myself - in the states, like Florida - that will never be a problem, the temps there rarely get below freezing.....now in Montana - the temps are cold as ....well you get it! 80 w oil does NOT flow well in the cold, the oil is almost "hard" and pumps very high but does not get where is should in a timely manner.

In the time where the older tractors were made - 80 and 90 w oils where the standard....and some still use it !!!! But the newer tractors have tolerances that are so much tighter and parts are being placed much closer together to perform better - thus a "newer" oil was designed to help lubricate those parts.
A newer thinner oil that moves easily when cold YET protects BETTER than a heavier oil.......and now with S-UDT2 ....you have an $$$$ oil that will not break down, it is synthetic and will well worth the price over the long run if maintained properly.

The question I always ask - if you owned a car from the 50's and it said in the book "use straight 30w oil" would you ?????? I would say hell no!!!! But why not????? Because oils like everything else are constantly being improved.

the "new" oils are sooooooooooo much better than before, thus cars running 300,000 before they give out.....

Should you place UDT in there if you could get it ???? sure - but as others have said with some validity - the oil is thinner and will ease by the 30 year old seals and may find a way out of those seals!

I will bet in the near future that UDT will become harder and harder to get .....because the "newest" udt will take its place...

ON all oil bottles - there are "symbols" and acronyms that tell what the oils specifications are .......each year or years those letters and number change to a higher letter or number due to the fact that the oil is an improvement over the oil that it is replacing.

the simple term that will catch 99% of it is that newer oils protect better and do not break down like the "older" style oils, even dirty oil is good oil, as long as the filter continues to do it's job.

I hope this helps a bit!:)

now UTD .....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That hydraulic pump will pump both fluids equally well.