L3830 fuel control solenoid

PBjr

Equipment
L3830
May 16, 2015
WOLCOTT
Hi, I'm inquiring about the physical location of the fuel control solenoid on my L 3830 to test an electrical problem. There is a clicking / relay sound, sometimes while running and sometimes waiting for the glow plug light to go out, and the tractor dies. Pete

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Hood up, right side of tractor.

From fuel filter or oil filter, go up at about a 45 degree angle and perpendicular to engine center line.

Cylinder with wiring connector on front of engine.

For doing your own maintenance, a workshop manual and illustrated parts list are a big time saver.

PBjr

Equipment
L3830
May 16, 2015
WOLCOTT
so far I've switched the glow & stop solenoid relays, cleaned all grounds & connections, measured resistance of solenoid coils ( 16 & 1.5 ohms ), checked 12v at both pins of the solenoid cable with key in 'on' position & everything appears to be OK. I can check continuity of one wire (black/red stripe ) from solenoid to solenoid relay but can't find where 2d wire (black/blue stripe) goes. Checked availability of solenoid at dealer & they said they've only sold 1 in 5 years. any ideas out there? Pete

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
If you're talking about the two wires coming off the engine stop solenoid, they are tied together in the wiring harness.

The engine stop solenoid relay coil is supplied power through the safety circuit, or operator presence control (OPC).

I would tap in a indicator between the relay and OPC timer to see if the OPC circuit is cutting power to the relay, and thus the solenoid.

If it is the OPC circuit, then there are about four components to troubleshoot.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
PBjr,
I just PM'ed you a link for a download of the WSM for your tractor, should help in sorting out the cause of the fault.