Wood Grapple Build

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Cobbled up some linkage for my original idea for rotating the grapple. Also machined a restrictor fitting to slow down the hydraulic cylinder. Drilled the hole to .040".

Want to do some sea trials with it this weekend to see what works and what doesn't.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Humm, can't say I'm digging this phase of the build. :eek:

Please tell me I'm wrong if I am.
Your going to use the roll function of the bucket to control the twist of the grapple? :confused:

Sorry, but I see way too many issues with it being attach and rotated is such a manner.

I would opt for a electrically controlled split of the third function (or just adding a 4th function) over a mechanical linkage attached to the cross beam of the loader.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looks like it works great! I would have expected no less. Very enjoyable to see your stuff being built & satisfying to see it function so well. :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Really neat!

The drive for the rotator isn't what I expected, but that's ingenious. (Honestly, not really sure what I expected, but that's your Rube Goldberg addition you were dreaming up, correct?):)

Looks like weight/length have no issue with your tests, and probably could handle larger/heavier stuff easily.

The attachment plates to the SSQA frame would look really cool with some painted orange and black flames and/or shark teeth on the grapple jaws, with eyes, like the WWII fighter planes! Make up a name for your custom grapple, and paint it on the plates with the flames!!

Thanks for sharing - really enjoying it!

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Humm, can't say I'm digging this phase of the build. :eek:

Please tell me I'm wrong if I am.
Your going to use the roll function of the bucket to control the twist of the grapple? :confused:

Sorry, but I see way too many issues with it being attach and rotated is such a manner.

I would opt for a electrically controlled split of the third function (or just adding a 4th function) over a mechanical linkage attached to the cross beam of the loader.
Well, I figured I owed it to myself to at least give my original idea a try. Didn't take much to link it up. I like the idea of controlling all the functions of the grapple with one hand, and I can control the curl function with a nice touch. I like the way it felt during the sea trials so I might just keep going. I can always switch it over to the linear actuator without too much trouble.

OTT (and most every other forum) does not host videos, uploading and linked them as you did is the correct way!

Very cool!
Thanks Kenny! Its been so long since I posted a video I couldn't see the forest for the trees!

Looks like it works great! I would have expected no less. Very enjoyable to see your stuff being built & satisfying to see it function so well. :)
Thanks Foot! How is the new lathe coming along?

Really neat!

The drive for the rotator isn't what I expected, but that's ingenious. (Honestly, not really sure what I expected, but that's your Rube Goldberg addition you were dreaming up, correct?):)

Looks like weight/length have no issue with your tests, and probably could handle larger/heavier stuff easily.

The attachment plates to the SSQA frame would look really cool with some painted orange and black flames and/or shark teeth on the grapple jaws, with eyes, like the WWII fighter planes! Make up a name for your custom grapple, and paint it on the plates with the flames!!

Thanks for sharing - really enjoying it!
Thanks RCW! Yeah, that was the Rube Goldberg I mentioned earlier. I was pleased with the sea trials and how things were working. Plan to use it for logs not much bigger than in the video.

One thing I don't like is the lack of vision. Would like to move it all the way over to the left but keep the weight divided between the loader arms. Gonna' stare at it awhile and see if the light bulb comes on.

Was thinking of naming it "The skeets". (Just kidding skeets!;))

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Seeing it in action made me more of a believer in it! ;)

Just the negative side of me, but what happens if inadvertently hit the roll out, and you roll the unit too far forward?
Will it damage anything?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Seeing it in action made me more of a believer in it! ;)

Just the negative side of me, but what happens if inadvertently hit the roll out, and you roll the unit too far forward?
Will it damage anything?
As you see it right now, yes. The plan calls for some way of stopping the forward roll before it gets that far. Thinking two heavy duty chains from the torque tube to the ssqa frame. These would be attached right next to the loader arms so as not to bend the tube.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
One thing I don't like is the lack of vision. Would like to move it all the way over to the left.

Was thinking of naming it "The skeets". (Just kidding skeets!;))
Watching your videos, was wondering how much you could see. If anybody can come up with a solution...you'll get it.

Flames, etc. are from my Harley days, I guess....Black goes with orange on Harleys. ;)

For names, how 'bout Skeeter (no offense skeets), JAWS, SKILLS, Goldberg, Fire Starter, Ingenuity, Lignin (defining structure of wood). Gosh, I could go on... :D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As you see it right now, yes. The plan calls for some way of stopping the forward roll before it gets that far. Thinking two heavy duty chains from the torque tube to the ssqa frame. These would be attached right next to the loader arms so as not to bend the tube.
Excellent!
I just wouldn't want you to inadvertently have a mishap and cause some serious damage to the loader.

My thought's on it would be a stop on the linkage for the rotate and a weak shear pin on the loader cross tube to linkage joint, just in case something failed.
I know arm chair quarterbacking, I hope you don't take offence, I do think your builds are excellent! ;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks Foot! How is the new lathe coming along?
I'm loving it, thanks for asking. The minor problems with the cross slide are now history. (@zero cost:)) It now has a quick change toolpost with 9 tool holders, added a shelf for tool holders, replaced to tailstock spindle key to remove play, changed oil in gearboxes, some oiler buttons replaced. Also tracked a high speed vibration/noise to the outboard ends of the leadscrew & feed driveshaft: the steel shafts were spinning directly in a cast iron block, which was worn. Bored the block out for two 1" oilite bearings, then bored those to fit the shafts- smooth as silk now.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Excellent!
I just wouldn't want you to inadvertently have a mishap and cause some serious damage to the loader.

My thought's on it would be a stop on the linkage for the rotate and a weak shear pin on the loader cross tube to linkage joint, just in case something failed.
I know arm chair quarterbacking, I hope you don't take offence, I do think your builds are excellent! ;)
No offense at all! More eyes on my projects only make them better.

I used hose clamps to attach the linkage anchor to the cross tube, and as I looked at it, I thought this might be the way to go for the final assembly. If something got away from me, these would break. Kind of like a fusible link.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'm loving it, thanks for asking. The minor problems with the cross slide are now history. (@zero cost:)) It now has a quick change toolpost with 9 tool holders, added a shelf for tool holders, replaced to tailstock spindle key to remove play, changed oil in gearboxes, some oiler buttons replaced. Also tracked a high speed vibration/noise to the outboard ends of the leadscrew & feed driveshaft: the steel shafts were spinning directly in a cast iron block, which was worn. Bored the block out for two 1" oilite bearings, then bored those to fit the shafts- smooth as silk now.
Very, very nice! I like the way you've got your tooling within arms reach.

Let me guess, your having fun?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I'm a little envious of your skills, and attention to detail. My south bend (1947 9x48) is a tiny thing, but serves me well. Not very clean,but i did get it out of the dust in my repair shop. Its a difficult thing keeping it clean and tools organized. End of day i run out of steam and give up. I leave my cleanup until morning when i feel a little refreshed. But it being in another building i forget it needs attention.

I like the concept of the grapple and it appears like it should lift a fair size log. Any guess what it will lift?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
That's really slick! I've been following your build and was curious what the advantages of this compared to a regular grapple would be and I totally see it now. That would come in handy for building a stone wall!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'm a little envious of your skills, and attention to detail. My south bend (1947 9x48) is a tiny thing, but serves me well. Not very clean,but i did get it out of the dust in my repair shop. Its a difficult thing keeping it clean and tools organized. End of day i run out of steam and give up. I leave my cleanup until morning when i feel a little refreshed. But it being in another building i forget it needs attention.

I like the concept of the grapple and it appears like it should lift a fair size log. Any guess what it will lift?
My Dad had the same lathe you have, and about the same vintage. He sure had fun with it!
I hear you on the shop clean up. That's pretty much the way I operate too.

I'm going to try and not get too carried away with what I pick up with this. I built it with the thought of moving short length of logs around and if it can handle 200-300 lbs, I'll be satisfied with that. I'm also planning to experiment with moving it far to the left so I have better vision of what I'm picking up. Don't want to twist the loader.

That's really slick! I've been following your build and was curious what the advantages of this compared to a regular grapple would be and I totally see it now. That would come in handy for building a stone wall!
Thanks OldeEnglish! I got pretty good with my brush grapple picking up lots of different things, but there were times when I wish I could rotate it to orient it to what I was picking up. That's where this guy comes in. I agree, this would save your back on a stone wall.