Maintenance questions

S Chamblee

Equipment
6 foot tiller, land plane, 6 foot bush hog, 2 row hipper
May 10, 2017
Mississippi
So I have hit the 200 hr mark on my L4701. I am changing both air filters and when I checked fuel it had some grit in there so changing fuel filter as well.. I am considering going ahead and changing oil/oil filter and hydraulic filter even though it says next change is at 400 hr mark. It has been a year since I changed the break in oil at 50hr. Would y’all agree just going ahead and changing everything giving it a full service would be a good idea? I also gave it a good greasing and cleaning, any other things I should do at this point?

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
How did you have grit in your fuel? That would concern me a bunch.

Did you see it in the water separator? By all means change the fuel filters - these lil engines love clean fuel.

I bought mine with 140 hours on it and changed everything. Coolant, Hyd Oil, Filters & axle oil. But then again, I just like to know - who knows if the previous owner did maintenance as he should.

Where in MS? I am on the Coast.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I've always used the maintenance schedule as a general minimum guideline. The engine oil in my tractor usually gets changed yearly, about every 60-70 hours. I'm in Poplarville, Ms.

S Chamblee

Equipment
May 10, 2017
Mississippi
How did you have grit in your fuel? That would concern me a bunch.

Did you see it in the water separator? By all means change the fuel filters - these lil engines love clean fuel.

I bought mine with 140 hours on it and changed everything. Coolant, Hyd Oil, Filters & axle oil. But then again, I just like to know - who knows if the previous owner did maintenance as he should.

Where in MS? I am on the Coast.
The water separater is what had the grit down in the bottom of it.. and it had a small metal screened filter inside of that.. I'm assuming that's a fuel filter?

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Yes that is a water separator and it will catch any big debris. You also have a spin on fuel filter, looks like a small oil filter - - it is your 2 micron secondary filter. Change it and flush your tank if you keep seeing debris in your water sep.

S Chamblee

Equipment
May 10, 2017
Mississippi
Yes that is a water separator and it will catch any big debris. You also have a spin on fuel filter, looks like a small oil filter - - it is your 2 micron secondary filter. Change it and flush your tank if you keep seeing debris in your water sep.
I have cleaned the water separator and will change out the fuel filter also..

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Engine oil no matter what brand or hrs needs to be changed at least once a year. If it sits over the winter I'd suggest changing it in the fall so it doesn't sit for months with nasty oil.

S Chamblee

Equipment
May 10, 2017
Mississippi
Update: I cleaned out the water separator/filter, changed fuel filter, changed both air filters, changed oil/oil filter, and greased it.. Feeling good that it's all done.. Now have to tackle tiller and bush hog ***128540;