Some days it ain't worth the effort to chew through the straps

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
and get out of bed.

Went to till a spot that I know is a huge pain. Hard to get to, down over a steep hill and in a corner between a house and a fence. Got one pass tilled and the tractor died. Long story about why posted here.

So anyway the tractor is dead in a place that there's no way I'm going to get the tractor out of there and up over the hill with my little winch so I call a rollback.

He shows up, backs in (further than I would have) runs the cable down, and we pull the tractor about 1/2 way up the hill. He jumps in the rollback to move it forward and get another hitch and promptly spins it down and gets stuck.

We messed around trying various ways trying to get it out, finally manage it by jacking the rear wheels up with the rollback bed, packing gravel under them, and then I hooked the Mighty Tundra to the front to get him started and we roll it out an hour-plus later.

On the way out, he snags the battery box on something, rips it right off the truck (not much of a feat, rust and scale were all that was holding it on to begin with) and both batteries fall out on the ground.

We spend another 45 minutes jury-rigging the batteries so he can get the truck started, we finish dragging the tractor up on to level ground where I can get it with my trailer and winch.

Got over there with the trailer and winch, realized I'd left the control cable at home. Htiched a ride back to my garage to get it and FINALLY got the dang thing up on the trailer.

After a call to the dealer, it looks like the fix will be relatively simple, I was expecting several days in the shop and a 4 figure bill.

Last edited:

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Interesting. I presume the hst switch just closes the path for the start circuit, if that is the case, how is that causing a fuse to blow ? Somehow, the power must be getting shorted out to ground within the switch ?

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Interesting. I presume the hst switch just closes the path for the start circuit, if that is the case, how is that causing a fuse to blow ? Somehow, the power must be getting shorted out to ground within the switch ?
Something of a mystery to me too. I'll ask the service tech when I go get the new one tomorrow.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Have you got the old switch off already ? Hopefully they can show you the short with a meter , if one of the leads is shorted to the case, which would be grounded.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well, Paul, like it's always said, "Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!" It just wasn't your day.

Hope the HST peddle fixes it.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Have you got the old switch off already ? Hopefully they can show you the short with a meter , if one of the leads is shorted to the case, which would be grounded.
I do have it off, plan to take it with me to be sure I get the right replacement.

I just checked it with my meter and I do get an intermittent short to the switch case part way through the travel of the plunger. That would certainly explain it.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
About the bear getting you.. A customer calls the other day. The trans in his f250 stopped working and he's getting ready to tow a camper to florida where his daughter lives. F250 comes to me and he heads to Fl towing his camper with his other truck, f150. Get's to the campsite in Fl, shuts the truck off, gets out to walk around and ck his position. Needs to move the truck 2 feet. Gets back and the truck won't start. Calls the wrecker to take it to a service center. Wrecker no sooner gets out of the campsite and his daughter calls. She was on the way to get him and she is on the side of the road. Her truck died. That bear is getting full!!!