When is it time?

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
I grew up racing motocross, which evolved to street bikes at 18, and cruisers around 25. At 30 I hung it up.

The fear of death was stronger than my love for riding any more. That’s when I knew it was time. I used to not care if I went out of this world on a bike. I would have died the happiest man alive. We all know that’s a part of the risk we take when our passion is motorcycles. But when the risk out weighs the reward it’s time.

The roads have become way more dangerous for a rider. Not a lot of people pay attention to anything anymore. I always say an intersection by a Starbucks is the most dangerous place for a motorcycle. Teenaged girls with their fresh vanilla frappe, new to driving, talking to their friends, while on Facebook. Felt like every time I drove past one of those places I almost got hit.

A lot of other things went into my decision as well. I got married, bought land to build a home with my wife, Had a niece living with us on foster care that needed taken care of. All of those things became more important to me than my love for riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Been on 2 wheels most of my life-even on/in vehicles that actually have FOUR wheels, I still tried to keep them on two.

23 years ago, I got rear ended while on the dirt bike. Was running down a dirt road with little traffic, and actually there were about 15 of us on 4 July, I was the only bike and the rest were ATV's, so I was the last in line. Drunkard came up behind me, off the side of the road, hit me, I rode the hood and windshield of that car for about 1/2 mile until it had to slow down for a stop sign, and I came off...again in the ditch. How I survived that I don't know. He wasn't done with me yet I guess. Spent several days in the po-dunk hospital and they found nothing but bruises, cuts, scrapes and burns. Really minor stuff but apparently they didn't check my back. My back has been in pain every single day since then and it wasn't until recently that it was discovered that it has problems. I could potentially file for disability and run with that but at the same time I'm not disabled....there are folks out there who deserve it FAR more than I do. Anyway, since that day 23 years ago, I've gotten back on about everything from iron horses to hay eating horses (I prefer the Iron versions since they usually have a kill switch), and I enjoy every second of all of them. It took a while to get the motivation to face the fear to get back on after that rear-ender deal. BUT it was time to hang up the street bikes as it was entirely too painful to ride very far. Sold them off and about 5 years ago bought a 2002 Yamaha 50cc scooter. Now mind you, I'm a gearhead and 40mph is entirely too slow, so I picked up a pipe, carb, big bore, and transmission tuning parts...it will now keep up with cars on the 55mph highway with ease should I decide to use that road. Normally I'll use it around the back roads to run into town like the post office, parts stores, sometimes the grocery store. Rarely exceed 30 mph and it rides decent enough so that I can get there and back without a lot of back pain. That and if I drop it, it's easy enough to pick it back up by myself. Only thing I HAD to do was put a side stand on it since I have a tough time getting it back up onto the OEM center stand. But it's as close to a real iron horse that I can use now.

Accidents happen. Always remember that. They are just that-accidents.

By the way, I was telling the same story to a guy at work once and he said he remembered someone telling him that they were partying and drove home, hit a guy on a bike...the story he told was exactly what happened to me. So I asked him who the guy was and I confronted the person. Guy looked like he fell face first into a tackle box. More lures sticking out of his face than anyone I'd ever seen in my entire life. I told him I was the one who he hit and that he's been forgiven-but not forgotten.

While on that rant, when I was a young kid and even into my teens, I remember well my parents drinking and boating. I can't tell you how many times we hit things in the river because of either mom or dad's impaired judgement. I was young and stupid but not stupid enough to realize that it was the booze that was causing the problems. They really slowed down on the drinking as I aged into my 20's but it doesn't solve the fact that SOOO many other people are addicted to the drug and to the feeling of being intoxicated, to the point where they're using on a continual basis. I see it all the time, I mean every single day, and I see the effects that it has on the body. I never took up the habit. Never seen the "fun" in it knowing that you're having to look over your shoulder every friday and saturday night after a beer. Yesterday at work I noticed some of my coworkers were in really sad shape, been out partying the night before and I made sure to "remind" them of their mistake in a lot of ways. It always amazes me of the absolutely asinine decision making that alcohol brings to an otherwise good person.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've gotten back on about everything from iron horses to hay eating horses (I prefer the Iron versions since they usually have a kill switch)
lugbolt - - - your post was so true all around - this part made me laugh.

As a youngster we had a horse, then after we sold the cows we boarded horses in our barn and pastures. I was early-teens..

Belgians, Percherons, and a Morgan gelding. Great horses.

Then there were these 2...a Shetland pony and a big mare. I worked with both because their owners didn't have time. I could ride the pony, or he could drive a cart.

Little FU@$%$ pony would decide "I'm done" and to the barn we go..

The big mare was 15+ hands, and she had a Shetland pony attitude.....galloping across our hayfield...she's had enough...head done and brakes on...guess where I go?!?!:eek:

That mare and I had a small "Blazing Saddles" moment out in the middle of that field!!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Funny how when a gun is involved, the gun gets the blame. Why doesn't that work with a can of beer? Or a shot of tequila?

In 2014, over 10,500 alcohol related auto accidents happened. Over 330 people died that year. What does it take to ban alcohol? And if that won't work, why try the same logic on firearms?

Just a thought... (Sorry for the momentary thread creep...)

Last edited:

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
While it may not be quite the same same.....

I was in the Army in 2007 when leukemia found me. 3 years of chemo was ahead of me. My unit was great, they found way for me to be involved and many inventive ways to keep me in good standing. about a year or so into it I came to the realization that I was just causing a blockage for someone to get promoted and move on up in their career. So I am now a Proud Old Retired Army Guy. After my health issues resolved itself I was missing my green Brothers and Sisters dearly. WHAT HAVE I DONE? One of my Brothers was helping to run a Child and Youth Services for the Army and said that he thought our kids should go to camp together. I said that sounded like a great idea. He then said I'm glad you feel that way because you are coming with them. Crap what have I done?!?!?! Well next thing I knew I was at a youth camp feeling like a fish out of water. I realized that I was now serving in a different way than I was used to as an Infantry Soldier. I was now taking care of my green Brothers and Sisters' families. I was now with my green Brothers and Sisters again :D

The point that I am trying to make is I know you love 2 wheels maybe there is a way you can learn to love 3 wheels. I am seriously thanking about that route myself due to all of the fun I had shooting several weapons and blowing stuff up....My knees are shot, my back is shot...Ok...My body is shot but I still wanna ride.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
KM has a great point.

CC is a biker town and on weekends we get hundreds of riders up here. More and more are riding in on three wheels, whether two are up front or in back. Saw a couple yesterday at coffee. Took them ten minutes to get off the machine and get out of their gear but, they were having fun and the machine was solid and steady.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah I guess Ray, there are some pretty nice kits out there.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Not a biker.
I’m sure someone is lurking around the corner waiting to run me down.
Rode dirt bikes in my youth and had a blast.
Dismounting my tractor is like doing a little dance, carhartts, steel toed boots and a seat that needs to go back a few inches. That coupled with footboards that are about 1/2 the size they should be. I have had a few close calls dismounting.
54 in a few weeks,work at home in my shop fixing cars,knees elbows, neck all wearing out. Would love to have a bike, lots of friends that ride.

Local fella got hit by a texter and list his leg. He’s nearing 70. Used the insurance company’s money to build a very nice trike. That is his daily transportation.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im thinking 3 wheels might be inthe future, and I have been looking at the Ural a russian made bike side car and 2 wheel drive. Its really about a 1930's BMW designed bike the german army use in WW2. I think it might be a lot of fun on the back roads on the highway maybe not so much,, I dont know. Lil Red dont eat nuttin so she can stay out in the garage for a bit I guess

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I thought about a trike but just too much money for the amount of time we get to ride around here and did I mention too much money.:D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I've been riding since I was 8. My parents were very much anti-bike. I had a much older friend (25) who was into cars and bikes, as well as his dad. They had me rebuilding engines by age 10 and I had mastered the art of tuning a six pack of Weber's on a V12 by age 14. They gave me my first two bikes, a 1963 Benelli 125 Scramber with a seized engine and a 1948 Vincent Black Shadow with the promise that I'd take care of them and not ride the Vincent until I had mastered the art of starting it. I was 17 before that happened. I learned enough to get a job as soon as I was old enough to work at a local motorcycle dealership. I caught the eye of the local FSM for Yamaha who subsequently hired me as a factory wrench at age 18, becoming a FSM at 19. I lived bikes. Ate, slept, dreamed. Did motocross back in the day and moved on to road racing. I got burnt out from 24/7/365 and 12 years of it and moved on to the car industry where the hours were slightly better and the pay double. But I always rode all year round.
I had amassed a collection of almost thirty bikes. Sold most last summer, including the Vincent as I had been keeping them in my dad's barn (he passed last fall) and he lived 300 miles away. No place to store them here and it was a burden just keeping air in the tires. But I still ride.
Down to just four bikes now. Two dirt bikes, a dual sport and a Super Moto (fully worked). I ride at least once a week, if not every day.
My key to street riding is the game of avoidance. I assume every car, whether it appears occupied or not, WANTS to hit me. I constantly look for my way out. While that sounds like a pain in the ass, it really is not. It is second nature, just like shifting gears or rolling up a window.
I have probably half a million street miles and never have I come close to being in an accident involving a car. Fell a lot in snow storms or riding too fast as kids do. Though I promised myself that my brash riding days were behind me in 1995 and have not fallen since. I ride at 80% or less of my ability and take no risks. Now I enjoy the flashing of sunlight through the leaves on a twisty mountain road or a lazy putt on a fire road or national park trail. I do not need to be first in the pack, last is just fine. No need to drag a knee and elbow on exit ramps.
I'll probably stop riding when I can no longer get my leg over the seat or some other limitation makes it near impossible to ride. So when it is no longer a pleasure and becomes a burden, I'll hang up my helmet.

The Ural with the side car is cool. I've toyed with that idea (or a old, 1960's BMW with a hack). My wife might like it but I bet a side car is pretty 'jouncy'.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The real answer to the question Skeets is, It's time to quit just before you have the accident that makes you say, "I should have quit!".

You have to be honest and answer that yourself considering all circumstances in the decision, not what someone else does or thinks! Their opinions don't console your loved ones or pay any bills.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know Cat, I know some hard core bikers and some say the same thing, others being the macho kind of guy say other things. Many of the gray beards have gone to 3 wheels, I guess maybe because it is still a way to hold on to their youth or a love of freedom on the road, I have to make the call no one can make it for me.
Thank you all very much for your thoughts and ideas, it's good to have friends that are smart
Skeets

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh......... I replied earlier, but tough topic today.......
We know a mother and father that lost their son on a bike yesterday. He was in his early 20’s.
Girl of similar age crossed center line with her car. Thought she may have fallen asleep.
So unfortunate......and unfortunately much too common.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Gosh.........we know a mother and father that lost their son on a bike yesterday. He was in his early 20’s.
Girl of similar age crossed center line with her car. Thought she may have fallen asleep.

We almost lost my son in law the same way a couple years ago. Elderly couple in an S10 missed there turn, pulled into the center turn lane and crossed into oncoming traffic right in front of my son in law. He totaled out the truck with his body.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
RCW that is so horrible, my prayers go out to the family and friends

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Living in the country, I have people nearly every day cross the double yellow and come right at me. I flash my lights, blow the horn. I am in my PU too most of the time. No real room to avoid them because leaving the road most of the time puts me into a steep ditch that typically cause the vehicle to roll. Add to that the power poles are often located a scant 2 feet from the rod edge makes it a scary proposition. Sadly, all of the oncoming vehicles never have a look of shock, surprise or even sorrow at nearly killing me. They meander back on their sides of the road while I am in my vehicle, often near stopped on the edge of the road. At least on the bike, I can stop fast and take up less space on the asphalt if it came to that.
So my rule is to pay attention and watch out for the other guy. That rule will still apply when I am in a nursing home in a wheelchair and 99 years old.

Skeets, questioning your safety is integral with being safe. As I've gotten older, I find everything I do requires a little more of a deliberate action and care. As we get older, we have to adjust for the loss of cat like reflexes and luck.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Gosh......... I replied earlier, but tough topic today.......
We know a mother and father that lost their son on a bike yesterday. He was in his early 20’s.
So unfortunate......and unfortunately much too common.

That's just heart breaking RCW, my heart goes out to the family.