When is it time?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My Brothers and Sisters, I am on the wings of a moral dilemma. Today is one of those beautiful days for a ride blue skys with white fluffy clouds, and a light west breeze, you know the kind of day you could burn up 3 tanks of gas to go get an icecream cone. However today was spent on the Kubota mowing stuff that is growing like a hay field. Ahh well the downfalls of owning you home. SO I finished below the barn and came back up and parked the old gal in the garage. I got up to dismount and took a header mucked up both knees a thigh and jammed my shoulder. I watched the whole thing in slow motion, and saw everything that happened, and there wasnt a freeking thing to I could do to stop it from happening.
Fast forward 3 micro seconds after my head bounced off the floor and Im laying there looking at Lil Red.Of course I am MFing everything in the world from the tractor to my shoes to to what ever,crawled over to my swivle chair and all this time I am looking at my little red bike.
What happened to me? Falling off the tractor, I have been off and on a thousand times I fell, and there wasnt a damn thing I could do to stop it.

Maybe its the liquid pain killer I had in the fridge, or maybe something else, something much deeper, something that I should be listening to. You guys know I turned 39 again for the 30th time, and I am wondering when is it time.
Its not like Im a world class biker but me and 2 wheels have been friends a reallly long time.
I thought about the last ride, how a bitch texting almost put me off the interstate, people running stop signs cutting you off making left turns in front of you. Are my reaction times that slow, why dont I feel comfortable on LiL Red anymore?

I know no one can answer this for me , but I have come hat in hand asking some advice from people I trust How do I know when it is time

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Brother I cannot help you....
but :

"I thought about the last ride, how a bitch texting almost put me off the interstate, people running stop signs cutting you off making left turns in front of you. Are my reaction times that slow, why dont I feel comfortable on LiL Red anymore?
"

this is WHY I quit riding!

Heal up and get back on the "horse";)

yoteantidote

May 12, 2016
Argentine, Mi
You don’t know me so you can’t say you trust me, however you have answered your own question and I’m pretty sure you know it. It’s always best when you make the decision vs. someone making the decision for you...kinda like on your terms if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Brother I cannot help you....
but :

"I thought about the last ride, how a bitch texting almost put me off the interstate, people running stop signs cutting you off making left turns in front of you. Are my reaction times that slow, why dont I feel comfortable on LiL Red anymore?
"

this is WHY I quit riding!

Heal up and get back on the "horse";)
I quit riding for the same reason. Had a lady cut me off while on my Springer soft tail. I laid into the brakes really hard. Swerved around them and the front fender locked into the frame on the bike. Slid sideways into a curb, did a flip sideways, and somehow managed to land smack dab in the middle of the sidewalk on the tires still sitting on the seat like I was still riding :confused: I never realized I did a flip. Was told I did by several people that witnessed it.

Then I got tossed off the bike, flipped again (never realized this happened either) and landed on my feet running sideways :confused:

Was doing really good, except I landed in a boat dealers parking lot running sideways. Was feeling pretty good about the whole situation starting to slow my momentum when I contacted a trailer tongue with my leg, which sent me a@@ over tea kettle into another trailer tongue.

I was at the bike kicking the seat, pi##ed off at the world by the time the group I was riding with got stopped and out of the road,

Ended up with a huge bruise on my leg and back from where I contacted the trailer tongues. And figured I used up quite a few lives that day. Fixed up the bike and sold it a couple months later.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
You don’t know me so you can’t say you trust me, however you have answered your own question and I’m pretty sure you know it. It’s always best when you make the decision vs. someone making the decision for you...kinda like on your terms if you know what I mean.

Well said.

It's certainly different on the roads these days. I won't get on two wheels again.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Skeets , once you start thinking “ should I give up riding “ I think it’s time, at least it was for me. Sold my HD last year and days like today I really miss it but it was the right thing to do, the old body ain’t what it use to be!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks guys,, this getting old crap is for the birds :mad:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Brother Skeets...

Pretty obvious to me, if you had gone for a motorcycle ride this morning, you wouldn't have fallen off your tractor. Sounds like a simple scheduling issue, not an "operator error" issue!

As for why you didn't stick your Kubota dismount, hey, I have done my share of less than perfect exits, especially after working long hours and getting tired past what I should have done, given my age. Plus, I have big feet. Big feet: Big stumbles.

My neighbor was smashing down branches in his dump trailer before heading off to the dump. He remembers standing on the brush pile and the next thing he knew, he was on the ground and in immense pain. He laid there for half an hour, unable to move. He finally crawled halfway to the house and then staggered to his feet. He had broken six ribs when he bounced off the trailer rails. Bob is 76.

Two months later, he is doing great. Back to yard chores. He is just taking it slower and recognizing the risks we all used to ignore. To me, that is the key.

The day you stop doing stuff, you start dying. Literally. The alternative is working a little slower, paying a little more attention. Its hard at first but, it beats hanging it up for good.

Another buddy just turned 85. He runs his Kubota all over his ranch blading for weeds and putting in fire breaks around his property. Before his horse passed away, he used to saddle up and ride for hours each week. Howie has been my role model. Keep busy, keep sore, and keep alive. All Howie's friends in their 80's can barely walk without a walker and have no energy or ability for projects.

As for riding your scooter. Don't ride long distances, or downtown. Run to the post office or out for an ice cream. I find nothing sharpens my concentration and clears my brain like a short cruise on my bike. Take it slow and stay close to the speed limit. Park behind another car and have them run traffic for you. Be extra defensive, both in riding and regular activities, like getting off your tractor.

And make sure you use the hand holds getting on and off...

:)

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
My neighbor who is turning 39 for the 44th time this spring had been talking about getting a Goldwing since I moved in back in 2004. He came home with a Mustang convertible this spring. I know you're more of a mopar guy, but I bet they make convertibles too.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have had tractors for 35 years, I am about Skeets age, and have only had one "slow motion" dismount on my 8N. Overalls hammer loop caught on the bucket control lever and I watched my right ankle roll over to an impossible angle. It was the same ankle that I had broken years earlier and by some stroke of fortune it did not break again, doctor used good pins and bone grafts. Put me out of commission for a few weeks and turned a few nice shades of black and purple, lol.
When to quit an activity? My horses got old and I did not bounce like I once did so it happened naturally. Still get that pang when I see a nice looking colt and never say never but don't know if I have one more in me.
My and the wife's thoughts now are to live where we are or change our lifestyle and move to family, pool, boat area.

Last edited:

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Brother Skeets...

Pretty obvious to me, if you had gone for a motorcycle ride this morning, you wouldn't have fallen off your tractor. Sounds like a simple scheduling issue, not an "operator error" issue!

As for why you didn't stick your Kubota dismount, hey, I have done my share of less than perfect exits, especially after working long hours and getting tired past what I should have done, given my age. Plus, I have big feet. Big feet: Big stumbles.

My neighbor was smashing down branches in his dump trailer before heading off to the dump. He remembers standing on the brush pile and the next thing he knew, he was on the ground and in immense pain. He laid there for half an hour, unable to move. He finally crawled halfway to the house and then staggered to his feet. He had broken six ribs when he bounced off the trailer rails. Bob is 76.

Two months later, he is doing great. Back to yard chores. He is just taking it slower and recognizing the risks we all used to ignore. To me, that is the key.

The day you stop doing stuff, you start dying. Literally. The alternative is working a little slower, paying a little more attention. Its hard at first but, it beats hanging it up for good.

Another buddy just turned 85. He runs his Kubota all over his ranch blading for weeds and putting in fire breaks around his property. Before his horse passed away, he used to saddle up and ride for hours each week. Howie has been my role model. Keep busy, keep sore, and keep alive. All Howie's friends in their 80's can barely walk without a walker and have no energy or ability for projects.

As for riding your scooter. Don't ride long distances, or downtown. Run to the post office or out for an ice cream. I find nothing sharpens my concentration and clears my brain like a short cruise on my bike. Take it slow and stay close to the speed limit. Park behind another car and have them run traffic for you. Be extra defensive, both in riding and regular activities, like getting off your tractor.

And make sure you use the hand holds getting on and off...

:)
Excellent, at least to my way of thinking. Of course, I am shopping experimental aircraft and have already been through 53 birthdays. I agree that it is important to be honest and accept when the time comes to 'hang something up'. However, I don't equate falling off a tractor with being too old to ride two wheels. If you are falling off the tractor routinely, the bike AND the tractor may both be too much. Isolated incident? That just comes under the heading of 'caca happens'! :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My problem with less than graceful dismounts usually comes from shoelace loops, baggy pant legs, or coverall legs hooking on something. Even jumped out of a trailer once and got hung on a hammer loop. Had to cut the loop to get down.
Once the B7100 was idling in neutral, and as I got off, a baggy pant cuff pulled the shifter into 2nd gear. Thank god it was in low range, gave me time to save the side of the garage. I try to pay attention, but it seems the millisecond I get complacent, down I go again. Never did this stuff when I was younger. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
I still ride often, but it's only a TW200.:eek:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Bill,

That is my plan! My big bikes are 650s but I have a 200 I'll keep forever! Just riding to coffee with the guys on Saturday and Sunday is a blast.

Stmar,

We just went through that decision. My wife wanted to move and we knew we had better get on the ball as she was 60 and I was right behind her. We only moved two miles away -and the house was a disaster when we bought it but, after remodeling for 4.5 years, I have to say the work has done me good. Good on you both for making that decision before it was made for you.

Ramos,

Zzzactly. Pay more attention and take your time. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy what life offers. Little adventures can be fun too.
More goofiness comes with age. Learn to work around it.

Aging is a privilege many of my friends who checked out early never got to experience. I take its aches and pains as reminders of that.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - -
Last thing I would do is encourage to stop riding....but the fact is we’re dealing with a different roadway today. Cell phones and texting are a scourge.
My bike was a 650 pound moped last couple years. Trips downtown to the hardware store, etc. (our downtown has 1 traffic light). Didn’t want to deal with traffic anymore.
My breaking point was I needed space. Would still have it otherwise, but sold it 2 years ago.
Friggin’ thing was LOUD!! You know how satisfying that is, and some days I still miss it!!
Take care my friend.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well I have been worrying about similar trips and falls like out of the hay loft or off the side of the tractor. Seems like a half hour of tractoring and my feet go to sleep.

One suggestion besides carrying a cell phone is to add one of those watches, eg Apple, that will dial 911 if you press and hold a button, and will send a text to a list of your friends or neighbors of your location. A lot of us are out in the back 40, and it is a long crawl back to the house. Fishing a phone out of a pocket under a coat might not be possible when reaching the other wrist for a watch would be. Kind of an investment, and I hope I never need it.

Skeets, you take care of yourself, and I hope this batch of bruises heals up fast.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've been battling the same thing but finally came to the decision this year to stop riding. It was about the hardiest decisions I've ever made and only you can make it. I had to consider not only myself but also my wife who is pretty much by my side wherever I go. Skeets my friend I sure hope your alright but just remember sometimes it's good to just sit back and regroup before deciding.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
This. ^^^

I'm 67. I still ride and I ride a bike that's capable of triple-digit speeds in 3rd gear. I've made two accommodations to age and diminished reactions:

1. I pay attention to the feedback my body is giving me and my level of awareness/concentration. Sometimes I decide to go for a ride, get a couple of miles from the house and realize that I'm not at the top of my form and shouldn't be riding. Turn around, go home.

2. 99% of my riding is back roads in very light traffic. I still make an effort to be hyper-aware of what's going on around me, especially side roads and driveways (see #1).

I've never been a fan of multiple day, or even long day rides. 3-4 hours of dubbing around gives me much more enjoyment than pushing to make 500 miles in a day and being saddle-sore all the way to my armpits.

The day will inevitably come when I'll have to give it up, but I am in contact with folks in their late 70's and early 80's who have made the appropriate accommodations and still ride.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not about bikes, but tractors. For safety get off the tractor in the same position as you get on. No matter what tractor one has you either have to step, or something you grab to get to the operator's seat.

When dismounting the machine do the exact same thing in reverse. This means you turn around and grab and step the same places to get off. Impossible to do a face plant, and much better balance.

I come to this conclusion while using a 1966 Case 730. Two steps to get up, and if I'd nose dive off of it I might be pushing up daisies before someone finds me being 25 miles from home and by myself!

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
The days of cross country trips are over for me - was great while it lasted but the Wing is getting pretty heavy these days. Short trips in light traffic is about as good as it gets but I just can't part with it. Bought it new in 1985 and we are still together.

Attachments

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I've been riding bikes since 1947. Had a 15 year career in motorcycle racing.Ended up with 147 first place trophies. Have ridden on the hiways of this great nation for over 200,000 miles.. This year I finally sold my beloved ST1300. I have suffered many crashes including one head on collision with a car on my Goldwing. The Goldwing probably saved my life. A year of recovery and right back at it. But there is a time for all of us to quit and I finally have but when I see a biker out on the road today, those good feelings come right back...but I must resist.