My B2601 broke in half!

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, IN, United States
You said above that you own a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, hope you accidentally left out Grand before the Cherokee because if not your vehicle tow rating is only 2,000 lb. If you have the add on trailer tow package it goes up to 4500. If It is the latter then you may have been over 4500 depending on what trailer weighs (tractor w/ FEL and box blade probably 2800ish).

I think this is weights of B2601:
1632 for the machine
559 for the bare FEL boom
~200 for a bucket (Depends what kind)
Box scraper 300-400ish depending on size

Jeep tow information:
https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/towing.html

Box blade weight info:
https://kubota.ca/getmedia/1f9a068d-acc1-463f-9caa-436e8e43a179/BB12-Specs-EN?ext=.pdf
Jeep could handle the weight fine. Published tow weight for Jeep is 4500#, actual is 5500#. Jeep is also equipped with trailer brake controller. And yes it has a tow package.

Weight distribution was the problem. There were several factors that went into the mishap. Lessons learned for all who read the thread.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Sounds like you have a handle on what need to be done to get it fixed, if you need anything specific just ask! ;)
I'm retired Air Force Maintainer. The job is big but not to big. I have the tools, knowledge, time, space, and willingness to take it on. Thanks for the help offer! To pay a dealer to do this would be in touchable, if one would even take it on.

They would replace stuff I am repairing also. It would cost more then what I owe on the tractor.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Well, a productive day. I have the HST rebuilt and ops check good. Little heavy but it's possible. Tomorrow I will get the rear end on my floor jack and strap it on. Then I will be ready to bring the back and front back together. I plan on changing all the filters after the first hour or so, still a lot of crap floating around in the cases. To this point, there were no special tools required.

20180517_201401.jpg

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
What did the ins man say?
Got boned all the way around!

Car insurance will not cover the trailer because it was not mine so that makes the tractor a no go too.

Called my home owners and they really boned me. I told the agent I took the tractor to my friends to sow sunflowers for a dove hunt. He told me that the policy states the tractor is covered if it is "SOLEY!" used at the insured address.

Because I took it off my property they will not cover it. He said if my policy would have said "MOSTLY" instead of "SOLEY" they would have covered it. BS and yes I am shopping for new insurance.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Sounds like you have a handle on what need to be done to get it fixed, if you need anything specific just ask! ;)
I do have a question: Should I be worried about an air lock or anything on the motor. It was on its side for at least an hour. It has been upright for several day now post roll over? No engine oil leaked at all I could see, just some coolant from the overflow. I'm going to change the oil just so I have everything back on an good schedule.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
No worries! The Jeep is rated for 5500 Lbs, Equipped with brake controller. The trailer while one axle is rated for 6000 Lbs. It does have brakes also. You are correct about tongue weight, that's where I went wrong. I think the front wheels were a little lite do to the box scraper being off the trailer resting on the tongue. The Jeep wasn't squatting at all. My take is, I was moving from one lane to another. I was on the gas when making the lane change. It was misting rain and the roads were already wet. When it kicked out it slammed me into the wall and I was just riding at that point. I got on the brakes to keep from hitting the other wall head on. I think as the power was delivered to the trailer because I locked them up it caused me to spin past 180 degrees. When the trailer brakes finely locked is when the trailer rolled. The tractor was still strapped to the trailer when it was over.

Live and learn, Jesus took the wheel so I can tell the story. We can all get something out of it.
Glad it came out this way, could have been a semi in the way at the time. Jesus took the wheel and picked the right time.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Re: My B2601 broke in half! Link is to the Album!

Glad you are ok. I've pulled trailers with grand Wagoneers and while they have the pulling power, short wheel bases make for squirrelly real quick.

My insurance man told me the same thing when I bought my tractor. Only covered on my property.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

You should take the glow plugs or injectors before you crank it just so it can expel any fluids in the cylinders.

You may be able to turn it by hand and see if it will make full rotations or has hydro lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I do have a question: Should I be worried about an air lock or anything on the motor. It was on its side for at least an hour. It has been upright for several day now post roll over? No engine oil leaked at all I could see, just some coolant from the overflow. I'm going to change the oil just so I have everything back on an good schedule.
It wouldn't hurt to pull the glow plugs and crank it over for a bit. This way you don't chance bending a rod in case it was hydrolocked from being on its side.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
No worries! The Jeep is rated for 5500 Lbs, Equipped with brake controller. The trailer while one axle is rated for 6000 Lbs. It does have brakes also. You are correct about tongue weight, that's where I went wrong. I think the front wheels were a little lite do to the box scraper being off the trailer resting on the tongue. The Jeep wasn't squatting at all. My take is, I was moving from one lane to another. I was on the gas when making the lane change. It was misting rain and the roads were already wet. When it kicked out it slammed me into the wall and I was just riding at that point. I got on the brakes to keep from hitting the other wall head on. I think as the power was delivered to the trailer because I locked them up it caused me to spin past 180 degrees. When the trailer brakes finely locked is when the trailer rolled. The tractor was still strapped to the trailer when it was over.

Live and learn, Jesus took the wheel so I can tell the story. We can all get something out of it.
I can certainly relate, my time was also with a light tongue weight, pulling with an older K5 Chevy Blazer, short wheel base, wet road, etc. Everything lining up to make it wrong. Glad you are OK, & taking care of a bad situation, really wakes you up about ins companies. Quick to take your money, but when it's your turn well, I have had my issues with them as well. Here's wishing you all the best.

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
Got boned all the way around!

Car insurance will not cover the trailer because it was not mine so that makes the tractor a no go too.

Called my home owners and they really boned me. I told the agent I took the tractor to my friends to sow sunflowers for a dove hunt. He told me that the policy states the tractor is covered if it is "SOLEY!" used at the insured address.

Because I took it off my property they will not cover it. He said if my policy would have said "MOSTLY" instead of "SOLEY" they would have covered it. BS and yes I am shopping for new insurance.
I just want offer some insurance advice to anyone reading this. This is just general, typical info and based on my experience in PA.

If you are concerned about your tractor being covered while in transit for a collision loss, the only way I’m aware of providing that coverage is through a separate personal Inland Marine policy (like many contractors have for all their equipment).

Your car insurance only extends liability (for the other guy) to your trailer. It does not extend physical damage coverage to the trailer or anything you’re hauling. I have my 16 footer insured on my auto policy for a $3700 value and the annual premium for it is exactly $20 - crazy not to add it for that price.

Your home insurance only covers your personal property (tractors included) for typical home owners types of risks (fire, lightning, windstorm, theft etc) - collision is not one of them. Never has been and probably never will be. People that are moving face the same dilemma. Your “stuff” is covered in the moving truck if it catches fire or is stolen but it is not if that truck rolls over on the highway and everything is destroyed. Which is why most moving companies offer coverage for your stuff they are moving, and why you should buy it if it’s a long move especially.

The only iron clad way you’re gonna get your tractor covered for a collision loss while it is in transit is if you have a separate Inland Marine policy on it (or possibly the Kubota insurance, not sure there as I’ve never seen the policy they can sell you on new equipment).

I guess it’s possible some company somewhere may have some crazy rider you can add for your home or auto insurance that they developed on their own to fill that gap in coverage but in my 30 odd years as an agent I’ve never seen one.

I’ve had a few people over the years with a personal Inland Marine floaters for tractors, skid steers, mini excavators and such they own personally and use for non-commercial stuff and the prices haven’t been too bad (a couple hundred bucks a year depending on the amount of coverage). Honestly though most just roll the dice and hope nothing happens while in transit rather than pay extra once I explain the situation and solution to them.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016

You should take the glow plugs or injectors before you crank it just so it can expel any fluids in the cylinders.

You may be able to turn it by hand and see if it will make full rotations or has hydro lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking. Not a diesel mechanic but I wondered if it might have an issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I did not see anyone answer what that machine is. Please enlighten me. To me it looks like a giant air compressor on wheels.
An ex USAF MC-2A rotary air compressor to be exact, 15 CFM at 200 PSI :eek:,
This fine gem was used probably used in the motor pool. :D

It was a gift from a friend, I'm just working on it now, hope to get it up and running as it will make a really fine field work compressor.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks Wolfman! Since that is on wheels I would think it would have seen more use on the flightline than in the motor pool. It is a cool thing to have anyway. I hope you get it working again.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Was able to focus some time on my girl this week. Made great head way, still need to install the Loader valve and complete the hydraulic system. Need a oil drain bolt that was lost in the crash I forgot to order. HST filter was picked up by Wrecker folks, not sure what happened to it. That piece of the Housing had the bolt in it.

Don't ever say never! Might be able to get a Job at Kubota Now! Use this rebuild as my resume LOL.

I fired my helper!

20180517_201401.jpg

20180518_154017.jpg

20180517_132757.jpg

20180518_173433.jpg

20180518_183722.jpg

Last edited:

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
I did hand crank the motor, turned easy, checked cylinders' for oil, none present so I fired her up. Started fine, was some smoke initially, then normal. It did push some Hydraulic fluid out of the missing drain plug from the front axle I would guess.

I found the wire harness was almost cut in half in the roll over. Repaired it, still need to wrap it up. PTO shut off is functioning as it should. Stall need to solve the ROPS and Loader issues.

3-Point needs the lower ROPS installed as a minimum! Loader is the last thing to worry about. If I can't straighten it due to thickness I can always cut it and weld it back in the shape I want while keeping the ability to raise and lower it.

Any thoughts are welcomed!

20180518_184846.jpg