Someting dripping on the road

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had gone to town today and on the way home driving on a gravel road, saw something shinny. Thought it might be a screwdriver or a pin, or something that might puncture a tire. I came to a stop and waited for a moment to let the dust settle and began backing up. After moving a couple car length I noticed an extreme wet spot in the road. As I turned to get to the side of the shinny object I noticed the fluid was following the direction of my travel.

After backing 40-50 feet I opened the door, bent over and picked up what was a screwdriver. I tossed it over the side of the bed into the back.

Had about 1000' to get to the driveway. Transmission seemed to shift Ok, temperature gauge wasn't moving up, so I went on home. In the drive way I left the truck running. As I looked underneath there was no fluids dripping. I popped the hood to see what was happening. Nothing noticeable, everything dry.

Humm, what was that? Then I looked in the bed of the truck. I had placed a 5 gal bucket about 3/4 full of water with a one liter bottle of water floating in the bucket. When I hit the brakes to backup the bucket tipped. It was laying there empty!

Nice!! Nothing to fix.

Some days the bear gets you, some days you get the bear. Today was my day.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I was just talking to the wife about how living on rural acreage there is always something that needs attention. It is nice when the "problem" is just a tipped bucket. My current issues: transplanted 9' pine so have to keep it upright (wind) and wet to get it started, put 4 tie downs/anchors. garden bed needs prepared for planting (weeds are doing good), retaining wall of railroad ties leaning, have it torn down now have to reassemble after a bit of grading. Need to shock water well.
Now have to figure out what to do with my spare time.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I was just talking to the wife about how living on rural acreage there is always something that needs attention. It is nice when the "problem" is just a tipped bucket. My current issues: transplanted 9' pine so have to keep it upright (wind) and wet to get it started, put 4 tie downs/anchors. garden bed needs prepared for planting (weeds are doing good), retaining wall of railroad ties leaning, have it torn down now have to reassemble after a bit of grading. Need to shock water well.
Now have to figure out what to do with my spare time.
You probably already know this, but just in case:

I see lots of RR Tie walls around here that are leaning and in virtually every case, the builder didn't use any deadmen to tie the wall into the bank. I've built a couple for other folks (my patch is nearly as flat as a pool table) and had good luck using deadmen in the middle course and one or two courses from the top if it's that tall, and about every 16 feet. Also helps to build a bit of batter into the wall.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
The second biggest reason that they fail, at least around here is that people don't drain them properly.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Very sandy soil so drainage may be a culprit.
Deadman is something I was thinking about also, should keep things in order.