Servicing L1501DT

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Hey, Bill, the current oil filter on our machine is the Fram PH3682, a canister filter. The cross reference calls for a cartridge filter, though, so I am wondering if you happen to know if we can stick with the current version for a replacement or if it will pose problems.

Also, thanks for the tire info, much appreciated.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Hey, Bill, the current oil filter on our machine is the Fram PH3682, a canister filter. The cross reference calls for a cartridge filter, though, so I am wondering if you happen to know if we can stick with the current version for a replacement or if it will pose problems.

Also, thanks for the tire info, much appreciated.
I would not think it would cause any problems, but I am not a fan of Fram, STP, etc. I would go with Puralotor or Napa Gold.

I also have the spin on filter on my L1500 while most seem to have come with the cartridge type.

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Yeah, we went with a Wix, thanks again, Bill.

Also, I think we managed to get air into the cylinders after replacing the fuel filter, any tricks to bleeding the injectors on this system?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Also, I think we managed to get air into the cylinders after replacing the fuel filter, any tricks to bleeding the injectors on this system?
Crack the lines at the injectors, set throttle to high, crank for short times till no bubbles.

Last edited:

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston

Bill shared the shop manual with me for the l175, 210 and 225. I see the engine on a 185 is a z751 vs my z750-a is not sure how different it is. Here is the procedure for mine. Not sure if someone has the shop manual for the 185.

Also as a note my l1500 was very hard starting until I opened the throttle about a third when cranking. Then it fires right up (relatively)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 24, 2018
Ashburton, Victoria, Australia
Thanks for history link above. Example of how new I am to this. Mine's an L1511DT, not a 1501 as I quoted earlier. I assume the 1500s are all reasonably similar with the last couple of digits indicating slight variations? I got the L185F parts ref so I'm again assuming they're all going to be in the ball park with the 185 parts? Paul.

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17570&highlight=History

This is the only history I have seen so far and it is not particularly easy to parse, but maybe you will find what you are looking for here.

The American versions of the L1501s are the L185s, at least those are the most compatible models in terms of manuals.

KUBOTA Virtual Museum 1890-2014

https://www.kubota.com/museum/history/1890_1926.html

https://www.kubota.com/museum/showroom/index.html

https://www.kubota.com/rd/evolution/agriculture/detail/detail.html#

Attachments

Last edited:

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Yup, pretty simple, got it running again in no time. Was not sure if the fuel pump would be activated just by cranking, but indeed it is. Thanks again, Bill. Also, really appreciate the virtual museum links.

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Hey, Bill, nice work on that poster, I may even get one printed up ne of these days.

Questions about the PTO: Does it need periodic servicing? Do I need to be concerned about fluid quality and quantity?

Also, how would I determine if the seals on the front wheel gear assembly need replacing?

Thanks again, man, your help has been invaluable.

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Questions about the PTO: Does it need periodic servicing? Do I need to be concerned about fluid quality and quantity?

Also, how would I determine if the seals on the front wheel gear assembly need replacing?
I am not aware of any periodic servicing to the PTO,
on my L1500DT I just use a good quality 80/90 Gear Oil.

If they are like mine (leaking), they need to be replaced,
if there are no leaks they should be fine.
:D

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Yeah, they are leaking, more wondering if there is an acceptable amount of leakage before they need to be replaced.

Also, is it bad to overfill those gear assemblies? Not sure one drained completely as it seemed to take less than 0.8q before it overflowed. Tempted to drain and refill, but if it is not necessary...

If I do end up replacing those seals I will certainly want to get some pointers from you.

Also, how do I gauge the correct amount of oil for the PTO?

Thanks again,
David

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Yeah, they are leaking, more wondering if there is an acceptable amount of leakage before they need to be replaced.

Also, is it bad to overfill those gear assemblies? Not sure one drained completely as it seemed to take less than 0.8q before it overflowed. Tempted to drain and refill, but if it is not necessary...

If I do end up replacing those seals I will certainly want to get some pointers from you.

Also, how do I gauge the correct amount of oil for the PTO?

Thanks again,
David

The acceptable amount is up to the owner,
how much and how often to top up, and
how much mess it leaves.

If they are like mine (need to look at a book)
you cannot overfill, fill til flows out the hole on the side.

PTO (on my L1500DT) is lubed by the gearbox/hydraulic fluid.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
The capacities are different for the l185 but according to the 185 manual bill sent me the drain and location of level plug is the same. Since it’s clearer on the 175 shop manual I posted that since there are a few bolts on the left side of the transmission beside the clutch pedal. The level plug is the one that has a round casting around it. You would remove level plug and fill until it run out a little as bill suggests.

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Oh, okay, no separate reservoir for the PTO, reckon that is good to know. Thanks, fellas.

Still unsure about the front wheel gears, though. The fluid did overflow the fill hole on one side but not the other.

Last edited:

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Thanks again for all the help, guys, much appreciated. Got the garden tilled yesterday and planting starts over the next several days, good times. :)