Let's See Some Garden Pictures

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was going to get started on the tater bed this morning,,, wind cold and snow, damn you Phil !!!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was going to get started on the tater bed this morning,,, wind cold and snow, damn you Phil !!!
I need to order my potatoes today! Some time it will thaw up here. Skeets a year or two ago you mentioned a very poor crop of Yukon Golds, and last year a lot of the ones of that variety that I dug up had rotting ones on the plant. Other varieties in the same row were fine. Any ideas about what is going on? Suggestions of good varieties and sources?
I was pretty happy with the Satina I grew last year, but like to have a couple different kinds.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont know, just that this year I am going to move mine to another bed, they might be a bit crowded but I have not planted anything there for a couple years. So maybe if there were some bugs that like the nightshade family they wont get a free pass this year.

Your ground up there is pretty sandy isnt it? If there were rotting on the vine could be to wet and not well drained. Here Im dealing with yellow clays and that wont drain hardly at all.
I have been mixing sand in each year, I dont know where it goes but there never seems to be any sand the following year,,lol
I think Im going to plant russets this year ( I like the Yukon Golds but havent had much luck the last couple years,,it maybe the stock I got I dont know) and just trench and cover lightly maybe an inch of dirt, and once they grow through that mulch the snot out of them with old hay, straw is like 7.00 a bail around here and mulch hay is pretty much free.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hmm maybe too much rain or watering. Where the garden is runs to clay loam. There is sand out in the back pasture. Very patchy.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Are you guys planting your taters on a raised row?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Bulldog this year Im just going to trench,,if it ever gets warm,, cover with some dirt toss in some 10-10-10,, ground is pretty nasty there,, and some lime just for kicks,, and when they come through the dirt Im just gona mulch the snot outa dem

Bulldog777

Equipment
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Bulldog this year Im just going to trench,,if it ever gets warm,, cover with some dirt toss in some 10-10-10,, ground is pretty nasty there,, and some lime just for kicks,, and when they come through the dirt Im just gona mulch the snot outa dem
I have to plant mine on raised rows due to the terrain and rain. It rained a lot last year, but my potatoes survived on the rows. It would be easier in trenches though. I use 13-13-13 when I plant and then side dress/ Lay by with 30-0-0 later. I usually "rob" some small potatoes before they are ready. Lol

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I layed mine on top of the ground last year and covered with pine wood chips. Took a while for them to come up but once they did they went to town. We got huge taters off them and 90 %were on top of the soil in the wood chips. Just rake the chips sideways to dig them

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Cold and snow this morning, and what to my wandering eyes should appear but a large brown spot in the snow. 2 inches more or less of snow on the ground, should have covered anything there.. Then it moved across the yard!!! A freekin GROUND HOG and whistle pig, wood chuck, marmot, what ever you call them where you live!!! Son of a Bytch, ran to get the .22 and I saw him run under the OL's shed ...Hmmmmmmmm
:( I walked over and that (*^#$!^&_@*(****^ thing has a den under the shed! I can't convince the OL they are trouble they cause damage and disease. Groundhogs already,, this might be a bad year for the garden!!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's been bouncing between sleet and freezing rain this morning here as well. Not much for gardening weather. Two days ago it was 80 degrees out when I left work. Then 32 degrees at 6 am the next morning. :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This is the truth :D:D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'll say! The temp here today will not get up to freezing. I am so tired of wearing long underwear and quilted coveralls. Somewhere around 20 degrees below average. Ground still frozen, so too cold to put my potatoes in. I'm down to the last 3 Golden Treasure tomatoes from last year. Just laid them out on shelves last fall in the basement where it is not heated. Amazing!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Raining here today but garden needed it.

Got my leafy greens growing should be able to cut some lettuce next week.

Asparagus yielding me a bundle each day or about 12 to 15. Jersey giants and heirloom varieties. Heirlooms are 4 year old and the jersey giants going on 9 yielding big juicy tender morsels.

New red and white taters in ground, starting to push dirt up at top of furrow.

Broccoli looking good got 48 hills of those.

New electric fence going up soon to keep dang deer from eating my beans and peas, be planting those end of month.

Love my garden.

Jay

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Back in Post #31 from February, I mentioned that I was planning to build some raised boxes for gardening this year. At 67, getting down on my knees to plant and/or weed is really not an option.

This is what I came up with. 3x8 and 36" high at the top. Box is 16" deep. I'll put 2-3" of stone in the bottom, and cover that with landscaping cloth. I'll also line it with some heavy plastic to prevent leaching from the PT lumber, altho the "new" treatment is supposed to be non-toxic.

Then I'll rob some topsoil from the old garden and mix some of my good compost in with it.

I also plan to weld up some pipe brackets with about 4 down each side to put PVC pipe "hoops" in so I can cover the whole thing to keep the )($#)( deer out of it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thats pretty nice my friend,, but you know as well as I, at our age getting down is the easy part,,,, it's gettin back up,,,,,, thats the hard part ;)

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Thats pretty nice my friend,, but you know as well as I, at our age getting down is the easy part,,,, it's gettin back up,,,,,, thats the hard part ;)
My Grandson stopped by while I was working on this project and helped me set the blocks and place the planter.

We discussed why I was going to the trouble/expense and told him that the last couple of years with the regular garden, I had to plan my weeding to end near the fence, preferably by a post, so I could heave my wrinkled old arse back onto my feet. It was that or crawl to the nearest tree...

Bulldog777

Equipment
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Put some mushroom compost in there. Good stuff!

Bulldog777

Equipment
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Corn popping up, red potatoes growing good, onions and greens too, just planted okra and pinto beans, and tomatoes and bell pepper about to go in.

Bulldog777

Equipment
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
304 lbs of red potatoes and lots of sweat.... it's hot down here.