Powder Coat FEL Bucket

Hawkster

May 2, 2018
Duson, Louisiana
I am having my FEL bucket powder coated. The bucket had serious rust issues under the paint and had to be sandblasted. Anyone had there FEL bucket powder coated? If so, what did you pay to have it done?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Re: Power Coat FEL Bucket

Pretty expensive to properly do a part as large as a FEL in Powder Coating. It is durable but it will chip, rust will start again and rust will creep under the powder coat. Rust actually is a protective coating that while it does migrate, it tends to stop once moisture its removed and the rust provides some protection from further metal oxidation (rust). When you remove the rust, the oxidation starts again (unless you are in a dry environment like Arizona.)
Now if your tractor is a trailer queen, powder coating will look awesome.
Instead of powder coating, just keep a few cans of Kubota Orange about and spray the FEL after washing, that will be cheap and reduce rusting.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

The factory powder coating on my cub Cadet peeled off in large sheets. If the factory has trouble doing it properly....

What are you moving in your bucket to have rust be an issue.

Most of the time, gravel or sand being handled cleans off the heavy rust.
Keeping bucket pristine could be a full time job.

Dave

Hawkster

May 2, 2018
Duson, Louisiana

It's a 2004 L3830 with an LA723 FEL. What concerned me was the type of rust, deep pitted rust with plenty of steel left, not just surface rust. The more I needle gun the painted surface the more rust I found. I felt because of the type of rust it needed to be sandblasted and painted. They offered to powder coat for the same price of paint $600.00. Either way is expensive.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

It's a 2004 L3830 with an LA723 FEL. What concerned me was the type of rust, deep pitted rust with plenty of steel left, not just surface rust. The more I needle gun the painted surface the more rust I found. I felt because of the type of rust it needed to be sandblasted and painted. They offered to powder coat for the same price of paint $600.00. Either way is expensive.
I looked quickly on line and found a new QA 72" bucket for a LA723 for $650.
http://www.hoober.com/kub-l2235a-72-qa-square-back-bucket
Before spending $600 for a paint job, I would buy a new bucket.

Dave

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

Is it already sandblasted? If so, half that price would be more like it. Unless they are charging extra for a custom color match. I would shop around a little bit and get a couple more estimates if possible.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC

My experience with powder coating on saltwater fishing boats is that it looks pretty and peels easily. I've seen damage from wedding rings when people hang onto powder coated bars. I have a hard time believing it would last long on a bucket.

aerolland

Equipment
B2150
Mar 6, 2015
Morganton

When I redid my Kubota I sprayed the entire chassis with a base coat of POR15 then a topcoat of Kubota #2. It holds up really well but on a high wear item like the bucket, don't expect showroom quality for long.

This is brand new vs 2 years of use. Definitely not worried about rust yet, but can clearly see the POR layer.

Attachments

Hawkster

May 2, 2018
Duson, Louisiana
Talked to them this morning and they had already started the process. Should have checked with you guys first. I will double check the price. The original price was to sandblast prime and paint. He said he could powder coat for the same price. Out of 3 calls for quotes, this guy was the only one to call back with a price. Nothing to compare the price to.