Load bearing wall??

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
OK, now explained. My interpretation was that there would be no supports from below eventually. Dates of photos also needed explanation. Looks like you did not take an example from that famous architect, Mr. Wright. I still can't figure out why folks thought Mr. Wright was so good. They didn't see his leaking roofs and sagging floors. His large drafting room in the Spring Green facility was only heated by a fire place at one end. Poor draftsmen froze until they went to a warmer climate for the winter. In summary that wall WAS A LOAD BEARING WALL AFTER ALL.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I know it's been a bit. But my wife and I are doing the final push with getting the house finished with the remodel :D

The hardest and most time consuming portion of this has been scraping the texture off the @#!!@## ##%%^$#@@ ceilings :mad:

Not sure of the idiot that came up with that concept. But they need to be tarred, feathered, lit up with some diesel...... well, you get the idea :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's what took the longest with this project. Actually it was the getting up the courage to clean out another room and scrape the bloody ceilings that took the longest :rolleyes:

Anyone how, all the ceilings are done, and repainted. Laundry room is almost done with the painting. Just gotta move the washer, dryer, and a freezer so we can get the last wall. Paint the trim and cupboards. And that room will be completely done.

The rest of the house is getting new flooring, and baseboards. The 30 year old ones have had the radish. The other reason is to alleviate the need for 1/4 round along the baseboard for the flooring. This will give the house a cleaner look.

So....... here's what 1,350 sqft of flooring looks like :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Floors going in :D Slower then anticipated. But will look nice once it's done. One room almost done. Only got 5 more rooms and the hall :eek:

I'll supply pizza and beer for any members that wanna come help :D Course the beer is for afterwords ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its looking pretty fine there, ya done good ! What did you put down as an underlay, I use 90# felt paper. I layed about 3/8 off the starting and ending wall between the grand kids playing and spilling stuff, and their critters and the OL draggin stuff across the floor it has held up super for the last 8 years!

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Its looking pretty fine there, ya done good ! What did you put down as an underlay, I use 90# felt paper. I layed about 3/8 off the starting and ending wall between the grand kids playing and spilling stuff, and their critters and the OL draggin stuff across the floor it has held up super for the last 8 years!
I used the mid grade underlayment. It's got the vapor barrier and felt instead of the foam. It reminds me of the moving blankets that they sell at Uhaul with a plastic backing on one side. Had to have a vapor barrier since it's going on a concrete slab. One thing I really like about this underlayment, is it's not slick like the foam. So it should help keep the flooring in place. Stuffs also really good with sound dampening. Really helped cut down echoes when it's walked on :D

I did the same as you and left a 3/8 gap all the way around.

I wasn't impressed with the install on the old flooring. The vapor barrier was hit and miss. Looked like they hacked off some plastic and through it down, and then ran the foam. Even the underlayment was hit and miss. Sometimes up to 2 foot gaps in the underlayment or vapor barrier. The portion I've pealed up in the foyer is missing the vapor barrier all together.

They also left a 3/4" gap all the way around. Some areas the gap was bigger. Not sure how they got it to look like the edges were covered, but man that floor would travel and buckle.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got a little further on the flooring. Halfway through the house. Got the kitchen, dining room, and foyer. Got the coat closet still to do, and a couple pieces left for the pantry.

Ran out of steam and making mistakes, so it's time to stop.

Here's how it looks so far.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Made a little more progress :D got the rest of the haul and two bedrooms left. Plus 4 closets :eek:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Looks great Daren.

Doing the floor is one job....moving all the stuff around so you can do the floor is the BIGGER job!

Good for you - - looks great!:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Looks great Daren.

Doing the floor is one job....moving all the stuff around so you can do the floor is the BIGGER job!

Good for you - - looks great!:D
You ain't kidding about moving the furniture and stuff :rolleyes: Had one kid come over and go through the stuff he left when he moved out. He took a box of stuff. 2 boxes went to the trash.

Daughter needs to come over this week and go through her stuff.

I'm not looking forward to the guest bedroom. Got a safe in the closet that needs to come out. Safes 2x2x2. I think it weighs 50lbs per cubic foot :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
A fitting end to the old flooring :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I don't know Daren, Gypsy sure looks sad!
She's upset because I'm burning her chew toys :rolleyes: You should see her when I stoke up the wood stove. She gives me this look like I bumped my head :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the master bedroom and closets done. Finished the hall way, and linen closet.

Just have the guest bedroom and closet left to do. Plus 5 transition pieces to put in.

Would have put in the rest of the transition pieces, but home depot is out of the T molding in the color I need.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Last room and closet are done :D

Now I got baseboards and 5 transitions to do. But those will be a room a pay check.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What I hated about doing mine was the gap under the doors someone hacked away for the wall to wall carpeting to fit under