Ventrac tractor w/ D-902 (Block Heater)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
That is a block heater and a very good one. I am not certain I am understanding your post. Are you not happy or are you happy?

Not all water jackets have enough space for the heating element to fit completely inside the block hence the sleeve design.

Are you aware of the starting problems you can have with a block heater?

The block heater can affect the logic of the Glow Plug controller time on cycle if you have one.

Send me a PM if you have a GP controller and want more info.

Dave

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
That is a block heater and a very good one. I am not certain I am understanding your post. Are you not happy or are you happy?

Not all water jackets have enough space for the heating element to fit completely inside the block hence the sleeve design.

Are you aware of the starting problems you can have with a block heater?

The block heater can affect the logic of the Glow Plug controller time on cycle if you have one.

Send me a PM if you have a GP controller and want more info.

Dave
If the pictures are current he's probably not going to know if he's happy with it for a few months.

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
Dave, I'm very happy with both that Ventrac tractor and the Kubota engine.
In in dead of winter (Maine) @ -12 F The engine is slow to start. As in any extreme environment it can quickly take a toll on any equipment. It's very hard on the starter motor as well as engine internals. As far as the glow plug "duty cycle" it runs off of the engine temperature. I love the Ventrac snow blower it is the most robust and yet easy to operate machine. The block heater will only make my machine all the more easier to start on the bitter cold Maine mornings.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Dave, I'm very happy with both that Ventrac tractor and the Kubota engine.
In in dead of winter (Maine) @ -12 F The engine is slow to start. As in any extreme environment it can quickly take a toll on any equipment. It's very hard on the starter motor as well as engine internals. As far as the glow plug "duty cycle" it runs off of the engine temperature. I love the Ventrac snow blower it is the most robust and yet easy to operate machine. The block heater will only make my machine all the more easier to start on the bitter cold Maine mornings.
Where the problem starts goes like this. The block heater warms the engine coolant. The GP controller looks at the coolant temp and says engine is warm so little to no GP time is required.

As the engine starts to turn over it is inhaling outdoor air which may be -30 or -40 and this cold air entering an engine with a warm block will still turn over far more than necessary.

I don't know your Ventrac nor its 902 engine but when you indicate the GP controller is sensing coolant temp you will not have the results you hope for. There are manual GP control on time work arounds not mentioned in the manuals.

Others on this forum have read my advice many times on this topic so sending it to you should you want it in a PM will not bore others.

Dave