Converting an MX5200 to an MX5800

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Kubota MX5100-(sold) / Kubota MX 5200-(sold) / Kubota MX5800
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
Hello All,

I currently own a 2016 MX5200 which I bought used. I've read up on the different models available in this line/series, and thus far, it sounds like the same base motor is in the MX4800, MX5200, & MX5800. For the MX5200 & MX5800, they add a turbo to boost the HP to get up to the rating of the higher HP. I'm looking into and trying to find out more information about how mechanically they did this exactly.

I understand that by adding the turbo (like they've done with cars and trucks) it boots the HP and output of the tractor. So I get the boost from the 4800 to the 5200.

The couple questions I would have is:

#1 - Do they use the same turbo or different turbo's (maybe different sizes) on the 5200 & 5800?

#2 - If they are different turbo's, is that the only difference other than the badging logo? If so, could I just purchase the bigger turbo and swap it out and instant change to a higher output (instant conversion to a 5800)?

#3 - If they are the same turbo and just adjusted differently, or there's another mechanical part that's added to boost the output of the style of turbo, what would be needed to get that additional boost to get the upgraded HP?

In pricing these two models on a new machine, changing the motors there's only a $1,000 price difference. I'm not looking to overtax the stock motor or perform some franken-mod to push my motor beyond what it was made. I'm looking to better understand the mechanics of what the engineers did to get the extra HP between models and see if it's feasible to do this with OEM parts.

My understanding is they are the same tractor across all three models, it's just the HP output difference. Rather than maybe looking at buying a different tractor or possibly a new one (MX5800), could I buy parts/components and modify what I have into an MX5800 without screwing anything up?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They are mechanically the exact same, it's changes in the ECU that change's the HP output.
No you can't just change the ECU from one to another, in order to buy the ECU you would need the serial# from a MX5800 and then you would need to program it, that is all proprietary to Kubota, no aftermarket programmers are going to be able to do it for you.
Now if you could get one from a scrapped unit then that might work for you. ;)

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
I'm checking with some of the local Kubota dealers to see what options I have. I looked up the ECU online, I must have found a "deal" Teg, the price I found was only......ONLY MIND YOU......$2,205.10. I'll be checking over the coming weeks to see what my options are. Thanks for all the help fellas!

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
I wasn't able to get this figured out if anyone is following. I wound up waiting long enough that I sold the MX5200 and bought a brand new MX5800 for $2,000 more than what I sold the MX5200 for. It would have cost me more than this to "upgrade" the MX5200 if it's even possible, which based on what's been mentioned thus far, it seems like it'd be complicated to say the least. Thanks for the responses!