Built a ballast box for my BX

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Using some scrap angle iron and some 3/4" ply, whipped this up in the last few days. Not as good looking at the one Kubota sells, but it was cheap to build and works well. 2' square x 1' deep. Filled with sand it comes in at about 340 lbs, counting the box itself.

For anyone wondering what part to bring into Menards for a paint match, don't. Get yourself a small bag of Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream (eat the chips, of course), and tell them to scan the orange part of the bag and mix you a quart. Exact match.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
When planning it, I was walking around the tractor ( while eating a bag of the chips ) looking for a small orange piece I could remove and bring to Menards for the match. Couldn't find anything, then noticed the bag. Held it up against the tractor and thought, "I'll be damned".

Anyway, I also bolted three 2" PVC pipes to the back, caps on the bottom, painted black, for garden tool holders.

I also confirmed with this job that there's no doubt the welder runs a much cleaner bead plugged into 220V as opposed to 110V.

Traderdell

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, BX2370 (sold)
Apr 29, 2016
Clifton Springs,NY
The Not as good looking at the one Kubota sells, but it was cheap to build and works well. 2' square x 1' deep. Filled with sand it comes in at about 340 lbs, counting the box itself.
]
It’s better looking and made from repurposed material. Well done!

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
The Kubota attachments are nice and well built, but I think they get way too much for them. Their ballast box, for example, is over-built. 1/4" plate throughout, the taper in the sides, unnecessary. They could have made it a simple square box, ask about $150 for it, and it would probably sell better and they'd still make money. But hey ... aftermarket sales. I get it.

I should add: This is my first experience with a 3-pt hitch. Simple to hook up, and the torque coming out of those lift arms much be INSANE. What I found, however, is that I needed a couple of short lengths of rope to tie the lower arms apart while you back into place. No way around that, I guess.

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
What I found, however, is that I needed a couple of short lengths of rope to tie the lower arms apart while you back into place. No way around that, I guess.
A Quick Hitch is the way to get around fussing with the link arm width--you can hook and unhook without leaving the seat. Tons of threads here will give you details, but note that your implements (or ballast box) will have to conform to the appropriate dimensions.

Another helpful upgrade is ditching the Kubota turnbuckles and replacing them with telescoping stabilizing bars, made by member Mark Hodge.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Thanks for the tips. I guess I still have a bit to learn about all these things. I looked at the quick hitch, and I guess if I had a few things for the back I'd consider getting one, but for now it's just the box. Give it time, huh?

Looked up the telescoping bars and those do look nice. Might even work for keeping the lower arms spread apart.