BX exhaust extension

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I know this has been discussed before, but I am looking for ideas for an exhaust pipe extension for my BX. I'm tired of the black soot all over my loader and my grille guard. Of course it has to be removable to get the engine side covers off, and I don't want anything that is too easy to snag and tear off.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here is one thought:

this is a piece of kitchen drain pipe, cut and hose clamped into place.
Needs a little tlc to fit well.

Attachments

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Had the same problem with the short exhaust on my BX2230 smoking up the front grill guard and FEL arm.

I cut out a section of a 1 1/2" EMT galvanized electrical conduit elbow which was a perfect fit over the short exhaust pipe out of the muffler..

The extension has to be removed to pull the engine side covers off so it can't be permanently attached.

The nut you see welded onto the extension, has a bolt (all stainless steel hardware) threaded into the nut whose tip has been ground to point that fits partly into a small hole I drilled into the original exhaust pipe. Once the bolt is snugged up in the hole, the extension can't rotate or slide off. The additional nut on the bolt serves as a lock nut.

Attachments

Last edited:

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
This is one of those projects that I have been meaning to get to. The pain for me with this is that it blows the leaves away from the mower deck when I trying to pick them up in the fall. Obviously not all of them, but many of them. Frustrating. Hopefully I will get to this fix before the fall comes around again. I will try the electrical conduit idea. Thx.

SRS

Equipment
Cabbed B3030, equipped with a FEL, FEL snow plow, belly mower, and forks.
Jan 3, 2010
Jarrettsville, Maryland
I know this has been discussed before, but I am looking for ideas for an exhaust pipe extension for my BX. I'm tired of the black soot all over my loader and my grille guard. Of course it has to be removable to get the engine side covers off, and I don't want anything that is too easy to snag and tear off.
I used a piece of copper pipe from a plumbing supply company (stores like Home Depot and Lowe's did not have the size needed). Heated it up with a propane torch to expand it, then slipped it over the exhaust pipe while hot and once it cooled it never moved. Been like that for years but it's not removable and doesn't get in the way when removing the engine side covers, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Here is one thought:

this is a piece of kitchen drain pipe, cut and hose clamped into place.
Needs a little tlc to fit well.
85Hokie, What size drain pipe did you use? I like the look of the chrome and the fact that the exhaust is pointed down. Does that make any difference in the perceived noise level of the engine?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85Hokie, What size drain pipe did you use? I like the look of the chrome and the fact that the exhaust is pointed down. Does that make any difference in the perceived noise level of the engine?
Not sure off the top of my head as to size - leaning towards 1.25" - (and IF that is wrong then 1.5")

Here is one small problem - on the original exhaust pipe there is a small "weld" that runs parallel to the axis of the pipe, so whatever piece of the chrome that goes over that must be slit to accommodate that. A nice hose clamp with worm down finishes it off and closes that up too.

AS for sound - have not heard much of a difference - it does kick up leaves and dust wherever you go however!:D

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks Hokie, I don't need any more dust than I already have so I think that I'll just have to be satisfied with what I have.