Leak - axle case spindle housing, L1500DT

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

With the front wheels off I noticed a leak on the drivers side and it seems to be coming
from the axle case spindle housing. I need to do some cleaning to confirm.
After checking with the local Kubota dealer it appears that most all of the parts needed to
do this repair are discontinued!

ITEMS CIRCLED IN RED ARE DISCONTINUED

Wondering if anyone has any expertise in this area and has had to go the route of making
any of the required components to stop a leak?

It looks like a felt ring (id, od, thickness?), a dust seal (id, od, thickness, made of what?)
and a packing (gasket) are the wear items.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I know guys who use to use the black roofing felt to make gaskets like that.

If the leak is enough to make you want it fixed, you'll just have to get it apart and see what's there. If it's just a gasket and not a shim determine the thickness and go to the auto supply store and see what they have.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think this scenario is going to be repeated more than any of us with older tractors would like.
The sad reality is that parts for these old tractors are just not going to be made, there is not enough of a call or $$ potential for it to happen.

Now as far as your repair, you will need to evaluate if a little leak is overwhelming or livable, most of these old tractors leak here and there and will for many a year with no real problems.

If you decide you must fix it, very carefully disassemble it and evaluate each part.
The wiper seals can be made out of Felt, leather, and other materials, you'll need to evaluate what is needed.

The parts you list do not seal oil that is done by part # 26 and another on the other end that comes out of the axle, the "ball" portion of the system is not a wet portion, just greased.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
All of those parts are available for early B7100s, can't speak to your model. As stated, there is nothing magical about the felt, or the gasket. The seal (B7100) is a molded piece of rubber, kind of a flat flange with a raised "wiper" at the contact point with the ball. It would be hard to duplicate, but if absolutely nothing was available, I'd just try a thick rubber gasket/wiper. Better than nothing, or scrapping the tractor.
Incidentally, speaking from much past experience, when assembling this type of "ball" joint, always soak the felt in oil, (I like 140w) thoroughly saturating it before assembly. If you assemble it dry, the first time you drive through water or use it in the rain, it will absorb & trap the water, & rust the crap out of the ball surface. That will make short work out of those nice new wiper seals you just put in.

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
The parts you list do not seal oil that is done by part # 26 and another on the other end that comes out of the axle, the "ball" portion of the system is not a wet portion, just greased.

Trust me I know that, It was dry as a bone took forever to get it full of grease.
Just like my old Willys when I got it !

May be it is just the separation you get, like in a grease gun?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, still interested where did the grease come out?

The reason I'm grilling you is are you sure you have a oil leak and just not overage of grease that is breaking down and leaking out?
Like I said that ball joint is a "dry" joint so too much grease could be the real issue.

Last edited:

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Ok, still interested where did the grease come out?
This is where grease comes out when lubing, top and bottom.....

The reason I'm grilling you is are you sure you have a oil leak and just not overage of grease that is breaking down and leaking out?
Like I said that ball joint is a "dry" joint so too much grease could be the real issue.

Somewhere (here) I read that this should be greased until full, I "assumed"
that was the way the u-jounts and king pins got lubed, similar to my
old Willys. On it you made a blend of greases and packed full when reassembeling.

Perhaps you are right, that is usually the case with your wealth of knowledge,
maybe I should dis-assemble and clean out?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm a little unsure or the exact details on the in and outs of over greasing this part.

My gut tells me that over greasing is not all that bad as it would keep moisture out.

I'll dig into this further.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm a little unsure or the exact details on the in and outs of over greasing this part.

My gut tells me that over greasing is not all that bad as it would keep moisture out.

I'll dig into this further.
I don't think I would be too concerned with grease getting in there. There are many people that will pack a bearing, then fill the cavity with what ever oil it calls for with out any negative effects..

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
This is where grease comes out when lubing, top and bottom.....

Wait... there’s suppose to be a grease zerks on the bottom as well? I can’t seem to find mine. Given that location I would not assume it would last long but I can’t find a broken one either. Maybe they did not have them on the earlier models?

Edit: oh maybe you meant grease comes out top and bottom when adding grease to top zerk.

- Mike

Last edited:

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Wait... there’s suppose to be a grease zerks on the bottom as well? I can’t seem to find mine. Given that location I would not assume it would last long but I can’t find a broken one either. Maybe they did not have them on the earlier models?

Edit: oh maybe you meant grease comes out top and bottom when adding grease to top zerk.

- Mike

Correct, there is only a zerk on the top. :D

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Correct, there is only a zerk on the top. :D

I’m guessing mine is leaking as well but internally. After reading your thread here I took off the 17mm bolt for front axle diff and engine oil looking substance spewed out as if under pressure. When I was greasing one of the zerks many months ago I never saw grease come out there but it was eventually hard to push the grease gun handle. I’m guessing grease is getting into the same place it’s getting out for you and I pressurized the axle diff? I can’t imagine the joint being so clogged that grease couldn’t find a way out though.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I’m guessing mine is leaking as well but internally. After reading your thread here I took off the 17mm bolt for front axle diff and engine oil looking substance spewed out as if under pressure. When I was greasing one of the zerks many months ago I never saw grease come out there but it was eventually hard to push the grease gun handle. I’m guessing grease is getting into the same place it’s getting out for you and I pressurized the axle diff? I can’t imagine the joint being so clogged that grease couldn’t find a way out though.
I think it's normal for the oil to be pressurized a little in the front. Kubota didn't vent them because they are designed to run in water and mud.