Is My Clutch Bad?

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
I have an L345DT that I recently purchased, and everything works, except for the PTO. I have the 2 stage dry clutch, and when I try to engage the PTO, it grinds really bad. I have adjusted the clutch according to the manual, and that helped with overall usage (it was WAY out of adjustment), but the PTO won't engage without grinding.
The other problem is trying to use the low speed on the PTO. When I try that, I get a couple of "thunks", but then nothing. Are the gears bad for the low speed PTO?
Thank you in advance for any help!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could be as simple as a bad clutch, bad and rusted disks cause some odd issues.
When you shut the tractor off and engage the PTO will it stay in and work?
If not then you could have a gear problem too, but I still would address the clutch first.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not sure on your L345, but on the L305 there is a lockout lever for the PTO.

Look down at the top of your clutch peddle for a stop. Rotate the stop up and the clutch will go down further to release or engage the PTO.

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
I'm thinking that it's the clutch. When the tractor is off, I can engage the PTO no problem. I can engage it running, but it grinds like crazy.
I checked the lockout lever, it's always up. I can't start the tractor if it's engaged, the clutch won't go all the way down.
I haven't been able to find any solid information, but what speed is the low PTO and high PTO settings? I have been using high, and at approx. 1200 rpm, it shows 500 rpm for the PTO, is that right?
Also, ahead of the clutch adjustment window, there is a small round access hole that appears to view only the flywheel. Is this just for the timing, or is there a way to maybe try to loosen the clutch?

Last edited:

dougmc

Equipment
L345dt
Nov 14, 2010
Xenia
My l345 double clutch action does work either.the manual list single and double clutch for the l345... I either start it engaged or pull the the gas cut off as you do to shut it off and just before it dies pop in the PTO then release the cut off.not an expert on these just own one. Possible its just a single clutch or as someone stated rusted or bound.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
dougmc, I'm just picking on ay. My brain just picks up on folks who habitually call every thing a "gas pedal"!

My l345 double clutch action does work either.the manual list single and double clutch for the l345... I either start it engaged or pull the the gas cut off as you do to shut it off and just before it dies pop in the PTO then release the cut off.not an expert on these just own one. Possible its just a single clutch or as someone stated rusted or bound.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
dougmc, I'm just picking on ay. My brain just picks up on folks who habitually call every thing a "gas pedal"!

I'm with you on that one. What you say is what you do. Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. I have tried to explain this to a number of people most of which said that it was just semantics until they put gas into their diesel engine.:eek:

My son bought a diesel pickup and always said that he needed to gas it up, get gas, etc. One day when I was at his house, his wife was going to use the truck. He told her that she would have to gas it up because it was on empty. Soooooooo she did just that, she FILLED THE TANK WITH GAS!:eek: After a few $$$ he never referred to it as gas again.:cool: