Wholly Fungus Humongous

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I ordered one of these from Amazon and it has worked great. It takes a little longer to fuel up the can but it will not let water through the filter. I actually tested it by filling it up with water and the filter did not let a drop though..
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF3...UTF8&qid=1412105889&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+funnel
Unless you have a fuel can that has been sitting half full, or getting fuel from a depot that has fuel tanks with low sells (sits a long time) allowing for moist air /sweating to produce water in it them....... this is NOT on average where you get water from so a funnel w/water trap/filter is useless. Water builds in your own tractors fuel tank

Last edited:

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Unless you have a fuel can that has been sitting half full, or getting fuel from a depot that has fuel tanks with low sells (sits a long time) allowing for moist air /sweating to produce water in it them....... this is NOT on average where you get water from so a funnel w/water trap/filter is useless. Water builds in your own tractors fuel tank
I agree with you and that's why I always keep my tank full. However, I bought the funnel primarily to filter the sediment that was collecting in my fuel cans. The sediment was definitely coming from the depot.Trapping water in the funnel is just an added bonus. My area of the county historically receives the first or second amount of rainfall in the United States. I have no idea if a depot has water in their tanks and the clerk probably doesn't know either. You may disagree but I'd rather not take any chances and use the funnel filter to prevent water getting in my cans. I'm not a mechanic so I try to take every preventative measure I can to protect my tractor.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I agree with you and that's why I always keep my tank full. However, I bought the funnel primarily to filter the sediment that was collecting in my fuel cans. The sediment was definitely coming from the depot.Trapping water in the funnel is just an added bonus. My area of the county historically receives the first or second amount of rainfall in the United States. I have no idea if a depot has water in their tanks and the clerk probably doesn't know either. You may disagree but I'd rather not take any chances and use the funnel filter to prevent water getting in my cans. I'm not a mechanic so I try to take every preventative measure I can to protect my tractor.
Your points are spot on above. Previous post though didn't have as much detail so just wanted to make sure yourself or at least others that read the post didn't unintentionally get lead to assume that water primarily comes from the fuel depot.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes a half full black plastic (had all the sheet metal off the tractor) tank in the sun is perfect breeding ground for fungus!:(
Our fuel is good, they go through a lot of it because of logging so It's all on me.
I forgot to pre-treat the last load of fuel that I got because I was burning though it pretty fast, then bam down for the count, I have since treated all my fuel, got new, and treated all my tanks and containers! :D

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Yes a half full black plastic (had all the sheet metal off the tractor) tank in the sun is perfect breeding ground for fungus!:(
Our fuel is good, they go through a lot of it because of logging so It's all on me.
I forgot to pre-treat the last load of fuel that I got because I was burning though it pretty fast, then bam down for the count, I have since treated all my fuel, got new, and treated all my tanks and containers! :D
What kind of fuel treatment are you using?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Normally I use Stanadyne and have excellent results from it.
For this mess I also used Soltron to break up everything and get it all cleaned out.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So what bam bam is saying, he's paying for the debris/water that's polluting his fuel tanks. Not a good scenario. I'm Lucky, the station I buy fuel from has a good rep since they installed above ground tanks. Whenever I empty jug, I look inside for water/ sediment. It's all good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So what bam bam is saying, he's paying for the debris/water that's polluting his fuel tanks. Not a good scenario. I'm Lucky, the station I buy fuel from has a good rep since they installed above ground tanks. Whenever I empty jug, I look inside for water/ sediment. It's all good.
All Diesel has water in it, and the more it sits under any condition the more water it absorbs!
Take a can of your finest, cleanest, water free diesel and let it sit out in the barn, shed, yard where ever, and then go back to it in a couple of months, it will have water in it and if your really unlucky it will also be growing sludge too, it's just the nature of diesel! ;)

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
All Diesel has water in it, and the more it sits under any condition the more water it absorbs!
Take a can of your finest, cleanest, water free diesel and let it sit out in the barn, shed, yard where ever, and then go back to it in a couple of months, it will have water in it and if your really unlucky it will also be growing sludge too, it's just the nature of diesel! ;)
That is probably true to some extent, but I believe it has become much worse since they started adding bio-diesel content to the fuel mix.

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
My L3800 was picked up this morning by the dealer. Front, right steering tie rod just came in. (Posted on this recently www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16440)

Decided, on their advise, to get the front tie rod work done by dealer, as it was still under warranty. When loading tractor on trailer, my tractor was having fuel issues as described through out this tread. It had actually started doing this the day before tie rod broke. I bought product from local Farm and Home and have not had the chance introduce it into current tank of diesel. Service manager who picked up my Kubota, said dealership had "several" problems with the algae in tanks. In his words, "an additive should always be used in your Kubota"...wish someone at dealer had told me that when I bought it earlier this year.. :confused: :rolleyes:

Cheap product for keeping tractor running to expectations. Anyone use this?

Attachments

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I think climate has a lot to do with diesel acquiring water in it. I've had a 500 gallon diesel overhead storage tank since '87 that has never had to be treated for water contamination. There's a fuel filter with a water drain and when I periodically check it never have I seen water run out of petcock.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have not had problems with algae growth in fuel and it's very humid in Eastern Kansas. I am curious, what happens to fuel oil used for heating? Is algae a problem often occurring, it there a treatment added by supplier? If it gets to furnace how is it treated?