Wholly Fungus Humongous

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My L has been down since early July, did the front gear case on the engine, and rebuilt the transmission.:(
Rebuild is now all done, and Wife and I was out running around getting things done when it coughed and sputtered and kicked the bucket... Fired right back up and again minutes later died, well we limped it home and pulled the filter housing and just about puked, slime everywhere! So I cleaned it out and changed filter and it ran great again...till cough, cough, die! I'll be headed to town to get some algaecide and new fuel for it tomorrow.
But hey the trans rebuild was a complete success as it runs and drives just like a new tractor:D ... with algae in the tank!:mad:

b20barry

Equipment
B20 TLB
Aug 18, 2013
Somerset county,Pa
Hi Wolfman, How could you get algae so fast when some can sit for a year and have none. I just don't understand the whole algae thing, I haven't had that problem yet! Don't want to either!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a first for me too! I can only guess that it was working and perking for a while and just the lack of use put it in overdrive. :eek:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Didn't your mom teach you to wash your hands before re-fueling diesel?

:)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
It is a PITA but luckily an easy and inexpensive one to fix.:)

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Hi Wolfman, How could you get algae so fast when some can sit for a year and have none. I just don't understand the whole algae thing, I haven't had that problem yet! Don't want to either!
Algae needs water to grown in diesel IE no water = no algae

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My L has been down since early July, did the front gear case on the engine, and rebuilt the transmission.:(
Rebuild is now all done, and Wife and I was out running around getting things done when it coughed and sputtered and kicked the bucket... Fired right back up and again minutes later died, well we limped it home and pulled the filter housing and just about puked, slime everywhere! So I cleaned it out and changed filter and it ran great again...till cough, cough, die! I'll be headed to town to get some algaecide and new fuel for it tomorrow.
But hey the trans rebuild was a complete success as it runs and drives just like a new tractor:D ... with algae in the tank!:mad:
I too have not had the algae problem , nor would i want it !!!!! I think after that fantastic job on the tranny, the engine wants its TLC, cause you are overlooking that poor girl.....:D:D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Am not an expert!!! Reading on the topic various times it seems "sitting duration" and "growing algae" has a lot to do with how much fuel is in it. A full tank and you get narry a drop of water pulled in. 1/2 tank and less and you get more. AKA.... the more air space in the tank...... the more moisture from air can be absorbed. Also tank sweating which is also from moist air of course.

Also it is actually not "algae" it is a microbial growth.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
This summer was the first time I had any problem with it in 30 years. I never actually saw any algae in mine, but changed filter and treated fuel, no more trouble.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I too have not had the algae problem , nor would i want it !!!!! I think after that fantastic job on the tranny, the engine wants its TLC, cause you are overlooking that poor girl.....:D:D
Hey I gave the engine a whole new gear case (timing gear cover) new dip stick, new block heater, water pump, and a lot of TLC, But I think your right, she just needs a little more love... and some Microbial removal! :p

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
This summer was the first time I had any problem with it in 30 years. I never actually saw any algae in mine, but changed filter and treated fuel, no more trouble.

In thirty one years I have had a minor algae problem :eek: once about 20 years ago. Since then, I treat my bulk tank every time I fill it.:cool: No more problems, no more guessing.:) Some people have told me that I am just wasting $$ treating everything. I reminded them that it is my $$ to wast and. peace of mind is some times priceless.

Oh lest I forget, one of them lost a 40 acre hay field when two of their M135 was down for a day with an algae problem and they could not bail it, then it rained for three days.

Do you think I reminded them why I treat my fuel?:rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey I gave the engine a whole new gear case (timing gear cover) new dip stick, new block heater, water pump, and a lot of TLC, But I think your right, she just needs a little more love... and some Microbial removal! :p
How lonnngg was that dipstick ? maybe she didnt like it...........

aw that aint right on soooo many fronts.....:rolleyes:

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
That sounds very similar to the problems that I had with water in the fuel tank this summer. Must be your water build-up is a healthier environment for algae than mine was. I had a small amount of algae, but not much.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
There's some fungus among us! :D Maybe practice some safe fuelling. Sounds like the little microbials reproduced more than rabbits! ;) Sounds like you'll be thinning the herd though.

Glad you got your transmission problem fixed and she's just about back in tip top shape again.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA