BX1870 - Won't crank

Trainman2k

Equipment
BX1870
Aug 31, 2014
Clarion County, PA
My Kubota BX1870, with less than 75 hours on it, suddenly will not even grunt when trying to start it.

The self-check goes as normal, but when the key is turned to 'start' there is not a sound to be heard.

The battery/cables - not the problem as best as I could determine.
I scrutinized them as the expected cause, but found nothing.

It acts as if the starter relay crapped out and is not allowing current to get to the starter.

Any hints on what I could do?

I have a call in to the dealer, but they're not open until morning.

I need the tractor running ASAP as rain is coming in and the ground is already soft.

Dang near ready to hot-wire the thing! LOL!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My Kubota BX1870, with less than 75 hours on it, suddenly will not even grunt when trying to start it.

The self-check goes as normal, but when the key is turned to 'start' there is not a sound to be heard.

The battery/cables - not the problem as best as I could determine.
I scrutinized them as the expected cause, but found nothing.

It acts as if the starter relay crapped out and is not allowing current to get to the starter.

Any hints on what I could do?

I have a call in to the dealer, but they're not open until morning.

I need the tractor running ASAP as rain is coming in and the ground is already soft.

Dang near ready to hot-wire the thing! LOL!
Ok ....my first thought is to throw another battery in the mix, just for sheiets and giggles......knock out that part as a problem......

then i would see if you have 12v + on the starter side of the solenoid with the key turned.....

Could have a bad ground..........

hell could be a bad switch, but I am betting on a weak battery, bad connection or a open circuit........

Trainman2k

Equipment
BX1870
Aug 31, 2014
Clarion County, PA
UPDATE:

Salesman called first thing this morning.
He "walked" me through a series of checks, which were exactly the same as you guys said above.

Since the tractor still will not even grunt, they are coming down to look it over and possibly take it back to the shop.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!
Hope I can return the favor sometime!

Perplexed in PA

Equipment
BX2370
Sep 11, 2014
Mt. Union, PA USA
On August 30, 2014 we purchased a 2014 BX2370 Kubota tractor with a Kubota RCK54-23BX mower deck. This unit was delivered on September 3, 2014. We ran it for one hour and hydraulic fluid began spewing out onto the portion of the control panel below the steering wheel, onto the top of the tractor battery and onto the floor panel where your feet are when operating the tractor. The spewing hydraulic fluid damaged and dissolved the sponge rubber wrap around and under the front panels. After checking the hydraulic fluid & tightening the attachment line (which was signed off on by quality control !!) there was still ample fluid there. Multiple calls into the dealership. Now the new tractor won’t start at all. Manually Rocked the unit back and forth, engaged and disengaged the pedals and the tractor fired up one time. Now will not start at all. This tractor has less than 2 hours of running time on the clock. We are SO disappointed, upgraded from a Cub Cadet Super tractor that we never had a problem with. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to get this new tractor started? Dealership is bringing our old Cubby back so we can at least mow our grass!! Please Help!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Check the condition of the battery cables inside the connection and the battery posts. A "new" tractor that sat on the yard for some time before selling may have corrosion and also the cables may not be tight enough. I have had this problem with new cars and tractors from time to time, all related to connections. Some are temperature related, due to metal temperature expansion properties. While you are at it check the connections of cables to the ground as well as the starter. Play with the switches, such as the seat, pedal, PTO for both front and rear selector, etc, since they may have some corrosion. Cleaning up all connections is a must when these things happen. While some current may get through, sometimes there is enough resistance that the starter relay won't work.

Remember the starter also must be grounded. Ya never know where the problem is in the circuit. Did you try the direct connection from battery to starter between the two starter terminals as a method to quick-test to by-pass of the safety switches and the ignition switch.? Don't ground them! If that works, the problem is not battery hot or grounds, but in switch circuit.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
On August 30, 2014 we purchased a 2014 BX2370 Kubota tractor with a Kubota RCK54-23BX mower deck. This unit was delivered on September 3, 2014. We ran it for one hour and hydraulic fluid began spewing out onto the portion of the control panel below the steering wheel, onto the top of the tractor battery and onto the floor panel where your feet are when operating the tractor. The spewing hydraulic fluid damaged and dissolved the sponge rubber wrap around and under the front panels. After checking the hydraulic fluid & tightening the attachment line (which was signed off on by quality control !!) there was still ample fluid there. Multiple calls into the dealership. Now the new tractor won’t start at all. Manually Rocked the unit back and forth, engaged and disengaged the pedals and the tractor fired up one time. Now will not start at all. This tractor has less than 2 hours of running time on the clock. We are SO disappointed, upgraded from a Cub Cadet Super tractor that we never had a problem with. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to get this new tractor started? Dealership is bringing our old Cubby back so we can at least mow our grass!! Please Help!
My sure when they bring the tractor back, they PICK up the new and fix it PERFECTLY.......you have two years of trouble free, should not anything wrong other than a light bulb going out, and then again - make them fix that :eek:

I am sure your dealer will stand behind his machine - I know it is frustrating, but hold on and let the dealer get her right! tell us what happens!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
INdeed hold the dealers feet to the fire, you spent good money on it and deserve the best of service from the dealer

Perplexed in PA

Equipment
BX2370
Sep 11, 2014
Mt. Union, PA USA
Thanks so much for your good information. We don't have the wiring diagram to this new BX2370 but did suspect that there wasn't enough voltage getting to the starter. Tractor was picked up by the dealership about 20 min ago and prior putting it on the flatbed (using a wench) the rep. tried installing a new starter switch which didn't work. They brought our old Cubby Super tractor back so at least we can mow the grass. Will post when the dealership resolves the problem.

Trainman2k

Equipment
BX1870
Aug 31, 2014
Clarion County, PA
UPDATE:
The dealer had the unit for a week and finally determined it was the stater motor itself that had bit the dust. They had also replaced the ignition switch prior to taking our tractor.

Last edited:

Trainman2k

Equipment
BX1870
Aug 31, 2014
Clarion County, PA
:mad: :mad:
After only ten hours of use from when we got the tractor back, it again failed yesterday. It wouldn't crank and has left me stranded in the middle of a project I was using it on.

Kubota and the dealer are both on my list now. These repetitive failures are inexcusable in my book and I cannot rate either of them very highly at this point.

For the price of the tractor, am I wrong to expect it to run for more than 80 hours without needing TWO trips to the repair shop?

I am VERY disappointed in Kubota.

-- UPDATE --
Dealer did call back after three hours.
He said he is sending a 'loaner' for us to use while ours is in the shop.

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Any new tractor (car, truck, etc.) can be subject to early teething pains. Modern vehicles (including tractors) are so complex, I wonder how any stay working for more than a year with all of the inexpensive 'parts' they have on them.

I'm not excusing Kubota or the dealer here, if they cover the problems then they are doing their job as best they can. If you have a 3rd problem with the unit, ask for a new one. Yours might just be infested with gremlins...

Trainman2k

Equipment
BX1870
Aug 31, 2014
Clarion County, PA
Any new tractor (car, truck, etc.) can be subject to early teething pains. Modern vehicles (including tractors) are so complex, I wonder how any stay working for more than a year with all of the inexpensive 'parts' they have on them.

I'm not excusing Kubota or the dealer here, if they cover the problems then they are doing their job as best they can. If you have a 3rd problem with the unit, ask for a new one. Yours might just be infested with gremlins...
I agree about the complexity. My 1984 Allis Chalmers was a walk in the park compared to this rascal as far as what's "under the hood".

Yes, I am all too aware of the "teething pains" that can come with a new machine, and I'm not wanting to sound as if I'm bad mouthing Kubota or the dealer... it's just very frustrating. With this trip to the shop the tractor has been there as much as it's been on my property since it was purchased and perhaps I just needed to vent. :confused:

Just curious here, ShaunRH, but is that a Kubota policy - the "three (legitimate) problems, ask for a new one" deal?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Sympathy from me also. I have two blue tractors and the BX. Neither blue ones have given me the trouble that the BX has. The only reason I am in orange now is due to the blue dealer not answering my calls.

Trainman2k

Equipment
BX1870
Aug 31, 2014
Clarion County, PA
I hear you about the no returned call, cerlawson. That's some of the issues I'm dealing with as well. He doesn't reply to my emails and gives me the smooth over talk on the phone. The one good thing is that they are holding true to their "we pick up and deliver" policy. Still - twice with less than 90 hours on it? I dunno....

Trainman2k

Equipment
BX1870
Aug 31, 2014
Clarion County, PA
UPDATE:

Dealer claims they replaced the primary wiring harness and it's as good as new. I reminded him that it was new but it crapped out anyhow.

Supposed to get tractor returned on Monday, or Tuesday at the latest, after two full weeks in the shop. Just hope it is more dependable now, and that it spends more time here with me than in the shop.