Broken, leaking differential B7100 - Foolish Me

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Just bought a new house on 5 acres. I was in a hurry, new to this, stressed out, knowing I needed to start mowing all that grass. Rushed into a private purchase of a B7100 with a 60" underbelly mower. :eek: Now discover that the rear differential housing is both broken (someone tried to pull something they should not have) and badly leaking (see picture). :eek:

I am already $2,500 into this. How can I keep from spending another $2,000 to replace the center casing? How do I know when to cut and run? :confused:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Looks like a casting was pulled off. I don't see any oil. If the housing is OK, why worry?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I need another picture from a little farther back, and at right and left angles of center.
I'm trying to figure out what the 2 plates on the side of the Differential case housing are????:confused:
Back hoe mount?

I see where they have blobbed blue silicone on the bottom on the left and smeared something on the right lower side too.

and why are there pins on the inside of the axle hubs????

Post some more pictures and we should be able to get you going on a good path to recovery!

Well your in the right state to get parts for it if you need them!
West Kentucky Tractor Parts
http://wkytpstore.com/

JB weld just might become your best friend! ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
I would contact Tibeka on this forum, I personally seen what he has to sell and its good and priced right.

B7100 HST parts, hydro tranny, front axle...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few parts from a B7100 HST.

I have the complete rear end, tranny and bell housing with all the pedals etc. Tranny work fine when I took the motor off for another tractor. $450

Also have the gas tank and framework under it.

I also have the front axle assembly with hubs and frame. Make offer.

Parts are located in Friedens Pa 15541.

Tibeka is offline Report Post

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
NIW, I think those two plates are the pto shield. I have mine off the tractor and working on it now and looks very similar to mine. Several things don't reflect my b7100 setup from this single photo.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
And here is a view from the rear, right. The drip is the worst on the left side, perhaps running down a bit and dripping off from the lowest point. I bet it could lose a quart or more of fluid a day. Perhaps more.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Give me a picture zoomed out I need to see more!

From what I see it looks fixable to me! ;)

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Have you tried checking the bolts that hold the axle cases to the side of the differential? I don't know what caused the breakage on the rear. However it looks to me like the leak is between the axle case and the differential case.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not to hijack a thread, but why (as in this post) are some post so wide I have to move across the whole screen to see the topic, and the pictures are gigantic?
Then the next thread is normal width?

Is there something I need to adjust on my computer?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not to hijack a thread, but why (as in this post) are some post so wide I have to move across the whole screen to see the topic, and the pictures are gigantic?
Then the next thread is normal width?

Is there something I need to adjust on my computer?
No, posters aren't shrinking pics to fit

Ogre

Equipment
B7500 w/ LA272 Loader and RCK60-24B Mower
Jul 9, 2014
Martinsville, IN
The pins on the axles are for the wheel adjustment in or out on the axles. You can make the rear track wider or narrower.
I need another picture from a little farther back, and at right and left angles of center.
I'm trying to figure out what the 2 plates on the side of the Differential case housing are????:confused:
Back hoe mount?

I see where they have blobbed blue silicone on the bottom on the left and smeared something on the right lower side too.

and why are there pins on the inside of the axle hubs????

Post some more pictures and we should be able to get you going on a good path to recovery!

Well your in the right state to get parts for it if you need them!
West Kentucky Tractor Parts
http://wkytpstore.com/

JB weld just might become your best friend! ;)

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
What's confusing Ogre, is that the pin should be going through the hub and through the axle. On my b7100, that is what holds the tire on the tractor as far as I can tell. I don't know how your wheel is staying on the tractor without that pin in there, other than the fact it has only be driven lightly on level ground. It looks like it should just be able to walk off the end of the axle. You may have to lift the tractor, remove the wheel, rotate the hub, so that the hub and axle have an aligning hole for the tire width you want to achieve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The pins on the axles are for the wheel adjustment in or out on the axles. You can make the rear track wider or narrower.
I know that, but why are they on the inside of the hub instead of going through the hub like they should? :confused:

EDIT: Just read chknscratch's post, Yea that what I mean.

Ogre

Equipment
B7500 w/ LA272 Loader and RCK60-24B Mower
Jul 9, 2014
Martinsville, IN
What's confusing Ogre, is that the pin should be going through the hub and through the axle. On my b7100, that is what holds the tire on the tractor as far as I can tell. I don't know how your wheel is staying on the tractor without that pin in there, other than the fact it has only be driven lightly on level ground. It looks like it should just be able to walk off the end of the axle. You may have to lift the tractor, remove the wheel, rotate the hub, so that the hub and axle have an aligning hole for the tire width you want to achieve.
good point, didn't notice the pins weren't through the hub until you said something.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Have you tried checking the bolts that hold the axle cases to the side of the differential? I don't know what caused the breakage on the rear. However it looks to me like the leak is between the axle case and the differential case.
It does look that way, and seems to me that is the first thing to do. I have not had a chance to try (still moving and such). But I have had two mechanics look at it and they both said, "I can't" - but all that was without either one of them actually laying a wrench on it.

If it were simply those bolts were stripped or something, they could be retapped and replaced - correct?

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Wow, wouldn't that be something if they were so very careless that they actually did not pit the tires onto the axle. But that would also tell me that they also probably have not made any real effort to fix that leak.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
sorry. Is there a particular size I should resize these things to before posting?:eek:
Theres a sticky at the top of service and maintenance. The first 3 posts that stay the same. One is for pics. Tells what size to shrink it down too;)