Help Posting Pics?

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Sorry I know this isn't about service repair or maintenance. I've been trying to post some pics of my tractors new paint job and am having difficulty getting the image down to the proper size to allow me to upload! does anybody out there know of a really simple way to resize the image for posting? :confused:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Sorry I know this isn't about service repair or maintenance. I've been trying to post some pics of my tractors new paint job and am having difficulty getting the image down to the proper size to allow me to upload! does anybody out there know of a really simple way to resize the image for posting? :confused:

John,
On your PC, open the file that the pic's are in. First things first, make a copy of your original and use the copy for this prosedure.

RIGHT click on the copy image, small menu opens. Scroll down to OPEN WITH, another menu opens and see if you have MICROSOFT PICTURE MANAGER, or something very much like that. It's a very comon program that almost all PC's have. Click on that.

When it opens right click on the image and select EDIT PICTURE. A new menu to the right will open. Select RESIZE then look for PERCENT OF ORIGINAL. click the dot next to it to select this function. Now look right below this selection and you will see numbers. That is the sise of your image. Using the tiny arrows to the right click and hold the lower one and you will see the numbers counting down. Try to get at around 640 x 840, this is pretty universal.

GO up to the top of the window and click FILE then SAVE.
Close the program, you're done!

You can make a print of this procdure by hilghlighting only my text. RIGHT click the text and then select print. On the print window under the Page Range near the bottom, click on SELECTION. Only this wil print.

Hope this helps,
Scott

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I had some time to kill so I made a picture version.
I'm using Microsoft Picture Manager since it is on just about every PC out there operating on Windows.

This demo will crop to remove unwanted veiws of a picture and also reduce the size of the image.

Remember to only do this to a COPY of your image. Don't want to mess up the original.

Locate your picture on the PC and open with Microsfot Picture Manager:

If the image is still too big for an attachment/thumbnail then go back and reduce it a tad more.

Scott

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
Traildust, you may have created a monster!

Now that I know how to resize, I just have to figure out how to post without screwing up the forum...

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Can't you use photo bucket its dead easy, it will save your pics in a format for posting on forums
dave

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Traildust, you may have created a monster!

Now that I know how to resize, I just have to figure out how to post without screwing up the forum...
Alright Frankenstein, start post'n some pic's :D

Scott

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Can't you use photo bucket its dead easy, it will save your pics in a format for posting on forums
dave
B7100,
You are very much correct about photobucket having the tags for image control.But if a person has an account than most likely they aren't going to ask a question about editing images.

I have also found that it's important to learn the basics of what you can do with your own PC. Now it's just my belief, but I believe that everybody should learn basic photo editing of crop and resize. It's an easy to learn skill that can be used on images for posting or emailing on the fly.

Funny you ask that question though. I was going to make this a two or three part post and the next one was going to be various ways of uploading pictures like photobucket. I got tired though, it was late.

Scott

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Probably to darn old to learn this :eek:but I am going to print it off and try to learn how thanks trailduster and thanks to you john c. handy

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Probably to darn old to learn this :eek:but I am going to print it off and try to learn how thanks trailduster and thanks to you john c. handy
Handy, that's definitely NOT true :mad:
You shouldn't say things like that :(

I know for a fact you can do this and I can't wait to see some of your pictures :D

I am going to make some more threads on various ways of working with images. Like using paint to help with bringing life to an image and attaching and inserting images from other sources.
I know there are people that already know how to do this but there are lots that can use a little help.

I like to try and focus on helping a person learn how to use the functions that are already on the PC. Sort of a basic skills way about it.
Then after that, moving on to areas like photobucket will inhance this foundation and the lightbulbs start coming on.

Photbocket is good and I do store images on there but I don't store all of my images with them. When you want to do something on the fly and fast for email, or what ever, nothing beats just using your own PC. This is especially true if you are struggling with a slow internet connection and having to wait for another site to load and go through it's own hassles.

Handy, let me know if you need a little tutoring in this area, by PM if you want. I'd be more than happy to help you!

Scott

Last edited:

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Thanks for all the great responses I'm going to try this procedure, I didn't even know about Microsoft Picture Manager! I noticed in the photo it appears to be part of Microsoft Office, the only problem I have with that is that the computer I use in the garage doesn't have Microsoft Office on it and that would be where I would upload most of my pics from! I did find out that I already had ArcSoft MediaImpression which has a batch resize function that is really easy to use and can resize all selected files in a folder all at once! (HeHe!). I've heard about photobucket but have never used it! My daughter told me about Picnik and I tried that out and It worked but was a bit time consuming, dealing with an unfamiliar interface, although it is fairly intuitive.
Thanks Again for the replies!

John

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Thanks traildust I am going to do like john c and start trying Ihave done a lot of things with repairing mine (my wifes);)and when my neighbors breaks I can usually fix that:rolleyes: and install and transfer programs to new computers etc. but have never fooled with pictures:eek: weird huh. My wife can do it but she totally is envolved with geneology. So after 42years I dont bother her and her hobbies. Thanks to your directions I will try figure it out.handy

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Just posted my pics using Microsoft Office Picture manager worked like a charm was able to resize all selected pics in a folder! It was very easy to use! I used one of the preset size options (small web) which is smaller than the 640x480 because at 640x480 the image was still too large to upload! Thank You!!! Now I have another Question how come the pics in my post appear as thumbnails and you have to click on them to see the larger size image?

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Just posted my pics using Microsoft Office Picture manager worked like a charm was able to resize all selected pics in a folder! It was very easy to use! I used one of the preset size options (small web) which is smaller than the 640x480 because at 640x480 the image was still too large to upload! Thank You!!! Now I have another Question how come the pics in my post appear as thumbnails and you have to click on them to see the larger size image?
Hi John,
I'm glad to hear it worked out and you are able to get pictures on the OTT :D

Now for your question, it's going to take a little more effort and need a third party host. The third party host most commonly used is the infamous Photobucket.

With all things we have to start with small steps and work our way up. In this case it's with the thumbnail images or acctually called an attachment. When you attach an image to your post it goes to the bottom as the paper clip implies, it's being attached.

By using the attach method it actually uploads the image to the host server of OTT and now you are limited to size of the images as per OTT's host restrictions.

As you can probably guess, OTT is going to be facing increased charges to run this forum. The more images that are being stored on the host's server the more it will cost. Hopefully our friends Vic and Mr. K are getting by on the advertisements we see all the time. If not we can expect sometime in the future to have a paying membership. That's the catch-22 for forum owners. You want a nice big forum with lots of members but sooner or later the band width use and server cost's catch up. As the forum grows so do the costs. Do they charge members or tolerate the flashy advertisements that are paying the bills. Or at least hopefully they are.

Damn, that was probably way overkill...sorry :D

Now, focusing back to your question "How to display bigger images on your post"

When you are making a post, look slightly below the attachment paper clip symbol and you will see the yellow square with the mountain. That one is for inserting an image in your post like wildefire. Now, if you click on that thing it's wanting a URL of the image. In other words it wants the web address of the image you want to insert.

Every picture loaded on a server host will be assinged it's own web address. It is this address that you would copy and paste into the "insert image" window.

This would be the method to use ONLY IF you see an image on the internet that you want other people to see. Say for instance the new tractor on Kubota's web site. Right click on the image, go down to Properties and click it. A window will pop up with the address of the image. Highlight it and copy it. GO back to OTT begin making your post and click on the Image Insert icon (yellow square with mountain) then paste the address in there.

This will place the address with tags in your post. What are tags? Tags are what is telling the browser to dial up another website, go to the address location and display the image where you told it to. If the addres is incomplete you will see this
. When you see that nasty thing it means the address is incomplete or the image was pulled from the host server and no longer there at all. It's a dead link.

With out the tags you will just see the image address as a link. Like this: http://www.rc-trucks.org/tractor-implements.jpg

If the tags
are placed around a good address link then you see this:

Now let's talk about photobucket. They will offer several options and each option has it's own address, per say. One is the image will be displayed full size as is. If it's a BIG image then it will be displayed as a BIG image. The other is the image will be small but when clicked on it will go big. This is important to remember because if you upload an image of 2560 x 1920 it will be VERY HUGE. There are methods with in photobucket to edit the image to size or you can size them down before uploading to photobucket to begin with.

When using a link from photobucket you do not use the Insert Image Icon. The reason being is they already provide the tags around the address. Simply copy and paste the link from photobucket to the post you are making in the location you want the image to be. If you use the Insert Image Icon you will have a double set of the tags and the browser will just place the extra set next to the image like this:

[/IMG]

If that happens just deleate the extra set using post edit if you didn't catch it before you submitted your post.

One thing about image hosting is when your "free" account gets too big then they will lock up the images so they can not be viewed at all until you pay them a fee. That's something to beaware of.

I'm sorry if this response was way more than you were looking for. I tend to go to far sometimes with the details.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Scott

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Scott,
Thank you for a very concise answer to my question. You didn't "go too far" and I appreciate your attention to detail and the visual aids! You have taught an old dog a new trick! thanks again!

John

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Scott,
Thank you for a very concise answer to my question. You didn't "go too far" and I appreciate your attention to detail and the visual aids! You have taught an old dog a new trick! thanks again!

John
Thank you John, your response makes me happy :D

Scott

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well I know I'm like 3 weeks late on this but hell if my boy Scott can teach my dumbass how to upload pic's on here ANYBODY can!