B6200 won't turn over

tractor boy

Equipment
Kubota B6200D
Aug 23, 2013
Clarkson, NY
Hi all,

I've never had an issue with my ancient little tractor not starting until now. When I went to start it the other day, it turned over slower than usual, then it just made a loud click and nothing. Charged up the battery but same results, swapped out another one to rule out the battery for sure, but all I get is this: When the ignition key is turned on to the first position, the 2 red lights for oil and charge light up, as always. Turn the key farther and hold for the glow plugs, the lights go out where as normally they just fade a little while the plugs warm. Push in the clutch and turn the key to start nothing happens. At one point the lights did stay on for the glow plug position and I pushed down on the clutch to see if it would turn over...got the same loud click then nothing.
Any thoughts on what an electrically challenged person like myself should look for next? I guess I'd be leaning towards a starter issue if it wasn't for the lights not coming on for warming the GP's. The flashers, etc. still work.

Thanks,

Brian

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi all,

I've never had an issue with my ancient little tractor not starting until now. When I went to start it the other day, it turned over slower than usual, then it just made a loud click and nothing. Charged up the battery but same results, swapped out another one to rule out the battery for sure, but all I get is this: When the ignition key is turned on to the first position, the 2 red lights for oil and charge light up, as always. Turn the key farther and hold for the glow plugs, the lights go out where as normally they just fade a little while the plugs warm. Push in the clutch and turn the key to start nothing happens. At one point the lights did stay on for the glow plug position and I pushed down on the clutch to see if it would turn over...got the same loud click then nothing.
Any thoughts on what an electrically challenged person like myself should look for next? I guess I'd be leaning towards a starter issue if it wasn't for the lights not coming on for warming the GP's. The flashers, etc. still work.

Thanks,

Brian
My first thought would be to swap out an old tired battery.....you did that - check ! The "new" battery was a known to be good???? What are possibilities it was weak too?

YOU could bypass the switch, take another battery - car/truck, hit you glow plugs again as normal , then take the neg of car battery and clamp to ground and the hot side to the starter pos lug..... dont clamp it there, just touch it there....starter should fire up - make damn sure everything is in neutral and clutch in, might need someone to help. IF starter does its thing, then you have a switch problem or wiring problem....if starter does nothing but buzz or click, then you have a solenoid or starter problem, not sure on your model is they are stacked on top of one another or inside one another.

If starter does fire the tractor, I would go back and take all the battery leads off and clean the shhhheit out of them, real good, clean - bright - and tight.

see if it made a difference. If you are not an electrical person, do you have a volt/ohm meter? The is will help too.

Report back as to what you have completed.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When hokie says take battery cables off, he means remove cables completely, especially ground cable. Clean end where bolt goes through and the bolt should be cleaned as well as area where it bolts to frame. My tractor did same thing in spring. I used jumper cables to get a good ground, started it and moved it closer to my toolbox. Then it was easy.

tractor boy

Equipment
Kubota B6200D
Aug 23, 2013
Clarkson, NY
Thanks, guys....I have the day off and will dive into it this afternoon. Hokie, you're right it was an older battery that I substituted so that could still be the issue. I'll follow up later, thanks again everyone.

Brian

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take the batteries to an automotive parts store and have them load test them, best way to make sure they are good!

Second with a good battery and good clean connections and both ends of the cables and if it's still not wanting to crank right, jump from the large terminal on the starter to the small terminal on the starter and it should crank, if it doesn't you have a bad starter and/or bad starter solenoid.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may need to verify that the wires inside the cables are still in good connection with the ends. I have seen (and read on this forum) about the cables being bad even after cleaning all the external connection points.

tractor boy

Equipment
Kubota B6200D
Aug 23, 2013
Clarkson, NY
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I removed the negative cable (which I replaced in January when the tractor was given to me) and recleaned the frame connection, removed the old positive cable clamp (also new last January) and replaced it with a new one....greased all the connections and she fired right up. :D Only had to spend a couple of bucks at NAPA and we're good to go. Thanks again for all the help.

Brian