Front Tie Rod adjustment (Came apart)

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Take a look at what happened this weekend. Was doing some bucket work on driveway. Adjustment nut and tie rod end came apart and were stripped. It was obvious once looking at the inside of adjustment nut and threads on tie rod, the tie rod had only been screwed in maybe 1/4 to 1/2 " versus 1" plus +. The dealership also agreed with my visual assessment. Has anyone had this happen? Right around 65 hours on this 2013 L 3800. New parts, that will be warrantied, were suppose to be ordered today. I removed the damaged tie rod, front right side of tractor and have attached pics. Boy...the bolt holding tie rod was Beeotch getting to come out. How hard will it be to get the new parts back on and is there any specific adjustment that needs to be made? Or....should I just have the dealership service put the new part back on?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ouch, :( but it looks like you have the repair portion under control though!:cool:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
That may be the worst Kubota assembly screwup I have ever seen. If your dealer is close, let them fix it. The repair should be easy but the alignment should be left to them.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
That may be the worst Kubota assembly screwup I have ever seen. If your dealer is close, let them fix it. The repair should be easy but the alignment should be left to them.
Thanks and that was exactly my thought when this occurred and I presented pictures to the dealer that same day. In fact...my exact words to the dealer were..."I'm really disappointed in Kubota right now"

Rftlts

Aug 6, 2014
Duluth MN
There is NO WAY I would be paying for any part of any cost to repair that. If they (the dealer) can't fix it on site then they can haul it to the shop and back after it is done.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Take a look at what happened this weekend. Was doing some bucket work on driveway. Adjustment nut and tie rod end came apart and were stripped. It was obvious once looking at the inside of adjustment nut and threads on tie rod, the tie rod had only been screwed in maybe 1/4 to 1/2 " versus 1" plus +. The dealership also agreed with my visual assessment. Has anyone had this happen? Right around 65 hours on this 2013 L 3800. New parts, that will be warrantied, were suppose to be ordered today. I removed the damaged tie rod, front right side of tractor and have attached pics. Boy...the bolt holding tie rod was Beeotch getting to come out. How hard will it be to get the new parts back on and is there any specific adjustment that needs to be made? Or....should I just have the dealership service put the new part back on?
Hi, it's not hard to put back together and adjust. Make sure you screw the 2 ends into the sleeve equally close to where they were originally (you should be able to see by the paint mark on the remaining tie rod) then retighten the outer end into the steering arm. Jacking one side up at a time scribe a mark on each tire (paint the center of each tire then using a nail through board make a scribe mark on each tire when doing this be sure the lines meet up after one revolution of the tire if not start over) measure the front and rear of each tire at the same height front and rear and side to side. The toe in should be 1/16" shorter at the front, close counts as your not driving at high speed or doing a lot of miles. I hope this helps you out, Barry

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Thanks for posting that, ill be checking mine when I get home.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Hi, it's not hard to put back together and adjust. Make sure you screw the 2 ends into the sleeve equally close to where they were originally (you should be able to see by the paint mark on the remaining tie rod) then retighten the outer end into the steering arm. Jacking one side up at a time scribe a mark on each tire (paint the center of each tire then using a nail through board make a scribe mark on each tire when doing this be sure the lines meet up after one revolution of the tire if not start over) measure the front and rear of each tire at the same height front and rear and side to side. The toe in should be 1/16" shorter at the front, close counts as your not driving at high speed or doing a lot of miles. I hope this helps you out, Barry
Thanks for the information. Dealer called today...parts should be in Thursday if shipping goes ok. Don't want this to happen to any of the OTT members.