Lost partial hydraulics today

spinedoc

Equipment
L35
Jul 24, 2014
USA
My L35 lost it's power to the wheels and steering today. The 3 point hitch and front loader work, albeit a bit slower than normal.

I checked all the hoses and they are secure, I have not lost fluid, the only place I find to be damp is the flexible hose that connects the return pipes in front of the pump. My fluid looks a bit foamy, which I think could be moisture or air from the flexible hose?

My lines are cool, which leads me to believe the pump is the problem. My questions are..

Are there 1 or 2 pumps on this model, and if 2, what does each control?

Does anyone have schematics of what I need to see to remove them? I cannot find any, and my owners manual is no help .

I cracked the lines on the distribution block on the pump on the right side of the block and no fluid came out, is this the problem or could it be from somewhere else and this is just a symptom?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want this tractor down any longer than it has to be.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I find to be damp is the flexible hose that connects the return pipes in front of the pump.
That flex hose is not return it's suction supply, and if it's got a hole or leak in it you would get lousy pressure and you would get foaming of the fluid, pull it and check it completely!

spinedoc

Equipment
L35
Jul 24, 2014
USA
Thanks. I will replace that flexible line and see how it works.

But this shouldn't cause my pump to not work? Any other things I should look at.

And does my tractor have 1 or 2 pumps?

Thank you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It most certainly will make the pumps not work or not work properly as they will suck air.
Yes you have a 2 pump setup, the rear pump powers the GST and PS, the front pump powers the three point and the loader.
A input leak on one will slow the other down.

Attachments

spinedoc

Equipment
L35
Jul 24, 2014
USA
My faith in my dealer is waning..

I called up the local dealer and I was told the front pump runs the GST and the power steering, not the rear. Wolfman, I may not be able to depend on them. Are you certain the rear runs the ps and the gst? If so, after I get my flex line replaced (tomorrow the part comes in), what else should I look at if it doesn't go?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
100% certain the rear pump runs regulator valve, PS unit and GST.
If replacing a suction line doesn't fix the issue then you'll need to pull the pump and get it tested, But I'm betting that it's a suction problem.

I'm also hoping you talked to a sales guy at your dealership, or they really need to train there mechanics and service personnel! ;)

spinedoc

Equipment
L35
Jul 24, 2014
USA
Wow!

The suction line replacement fixed it! I am shocked that a basically undetectable leak could shut down the tractor like that. All i saw was a little film of fluid on the steel pipe below the flex line. But I replaced it and it ran great again.

Thanks for all the help guys, especially Wolfman, I really appreciate it.

Eric

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Great to hear it was any easy and cheap fix for you. :cool: