Lower Radiator Hose Heater

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
In case anyone is interested in the radiator hose vs block heater discussion. As discussed above, my machine won't accept a block heater so I installed a lower radiator hose heater. Saturday morning it was around 12-15 degrees. I turned on the heater for an hour or so and took a temperature reading of 69 degrees at the valve cover. I could actually feel the warm air hit my face as I opened the hood!

Not sure how this compares to the block heater, but I think the radiator hose heater works pretty well.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
In case anyone is interested in the radiator hose vs block heater discussion. As discussed above, my machine won't accept a block heater so I installed a lower radiator hose heater. Saturday morning it was around 12-15 degrees. I turned on the heater for an hour or so and took a temperature reading of 69 degrees at the valve cover. I could actually feel the warm air hit my face as I opened the hood!

Not sure how this compares to the block heater, but I think the radiator hose heater works pretty well.
+1 on that. I happened to follow Delmar's path on this project. I was hoping to find a block heater for my BX1870. Ended up with a hose mount as that was the only workable option on my unit. The heater is made by Kat's and has 400 watts. Must be because it is such a small power plant but, after an hour the radiator and block are both nice and toasty. I will say that it is a darn tight fit, though. Bit of a knuckle buster getting it installed.

drchris1978

Equipment
Kubota BX1870 for mowing & bagging and plowing snow
Feb 13, 2018
Dartmouth, MA
Question for Delmar and/or Ramos, what size radiator hose heater did you go with on your BX1860/BX1870? I assume they all have the same D722 engine so the hose sizes are probably all the same diameter. Was it a 1" in-line heater? They're less than $40 online.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Confirmed, hose is 1" ID, or the metric equivalent. I used a Kat's, sold as NAPA # 16400. That is 1" inlet/outlet with a 400 watt element. Such a tiny motor, it warms the coolant and block in an easy hour @ Oregon temp's. Figure less than two hours if you are somewhere with bitter conditions, best guess.