Lower Radiator Hose Heater

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Do these work ok ?
YES, that's why they sell them.
Use the SEARCH function, block heater or radiator heater, you will get lots of information, and will be able to work out something suitable for yourself.

Last edited:

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
YES, that's why they sell them.
Use the SEARCH function, block heater or radiator heater, you will get lots of information, and will be able to work out something suitable for yourself.
Well excuse me if I struck a nerve with you and just to let you know I did use the search function and read many posts but did not see one that specifically talked about this one...
I was kind of hoping that someone that has used one like this would reply or chime in :)
Thanks for the advice.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Stephen,

they work very well!!! That and a block heater are two of the most valuable tools you can have to pre-heat an engine. A pre-heated engine will turn over and run a lot better than a cold one.

The heat will "radiate" throughout the entire engine, heating the block and all parts.
Get a remote or timer to use with it. Typically two hours seems to be the time most use to warm up a cold engine.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
Stephen,

they work very well!!! That and a block heater are two of the most valuable tools you can have to pre-heat an engine. A pre-heated engine will turn over and run a lot better than a cold one.

The heat will "radiate" throughout the entire engine, heating the block and all parts.
Get a remote or timer to use with it. Typically two hours seems to be the time most use to warm up a cold engine.
Thank you Hokie. I have a maintainer for the battery and a timer so I just need to get some type of block heater now. :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thank you Hokie. I have a maintainer for the battery and a timer so I just need to get some type of block heater now. :)
If you use the lower hose heater style - you will not need the block heater - it is a either/or situation. The battery tender is a huge plus too!;)

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Well excuse me if I struck a nerve with you and just to let you know I did use the search function and read many posts but did not see one that specifically talked about this one...
I was kind of hoping that someone that has used one like this would reply or chime in :)
Thanks for the advice.
You didn't strike a nerve, I answered your exact question, and yes it's been asked many times before.
So directing you (fairly new to the forum) to threads on block and radiator heaters was the logical place to send you to get more detailed information.

Had you asked specifically for tech specs or more info about that brand and model, I would have narrowed the search criteria, or directed you to a thread of someone else's who has used that specific one.
I guess it all come's back to what you had for breakfast, but who cares, tomorrow is another day.
YMMV.
EDIT:
Just in case, here's some threads referencing Kat heaters
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12512
www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6035
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8050
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12893
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23027

Last edited:

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
At the risk of starting an argument, I would only use a rad hose heater if there was no way to install a block heater. The block heater will warm the coolant in the block's water jacket and they are just more effective at warming the coolant than a heater in the lower radiator hose. Just look at the heat path. It's very indirect.

If you are going to go through the effort of installing this type of starting aid, I'd advice you to consider a block heater over a rad hose heater.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
At the risk of starting an argument, I would only use a rad hose heater if there was no way to install a block heater. The block heater will warm the coolant in the block's water jacket and they are just more effective at warming the coolant than a heater in the lower radiator hose. Just look at the heat path. It's very indirect.

If you are going to go through the effort of installing this type of starting aid, I'd advice you to consider a block heater over a rad hose heater.
That is a good point - over the long haul both will get there, with the hot water slowly moving throughout the entire system (thermosyphon) but the block heat will do it a lot faster as you said! Now if that little hose heater had a little mini pump in it.....might change my answer:D;) - block heater is the way to go for sure!

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I have to agree, an actual block heater is best. However, it's not always an option and a lower hose unit is better than a pan heater in my opinion.

In the end, anything is better than nothing. :D

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia

No argument here ( I had oat meal for breakfast :) ) Thats the info I was looking for. I agree with you on the block heater being the better of the two. Thank you

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Hi StephenB. If you're talking about the 1880 listed on your profile, I do not believe a block heater will work for you. I had to go with the radiator hose heater on my 1860. Although I would have preferred a block heater, the radiator hose heater works very well. It's a pain to install the heater since there's very little room to work, but not a bad job overall. Good luck.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Actually, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed how hot and how fast the hose heater that came with my B7100 works. Possibly because the system is designed as a thermo-syphon in the first place.

I also recommend a heated battery blanket for deep cold starts. I plug the blanket and the block heater into a 6" long splitter that is tie-wrapped to the machine so I only have to connect one plug.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
If you have a choice the block heater will use much less power than the lower rad heater. 400 watt will keep a 2.2 liter diesel toasty in below zero F weather. The rad hose heaters are typically 600 - 1500 watts.
I think the block heaters do not heat the radiator as much as the rad hose heaters do so you have less heat loss. This may not be as true in thermo syphon systems. Jeff

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
Hi StephenB. If you're talking about the 1880 listed on your profile, I do not believe a block heater will work for you. I had to go with the radiator hose heater on my 1860. Although I would have preferred a block heater, the radiator hose heater works very well. It's a pain to install the heater since there's very little room to work, but not a bad job overall. Good luck.
Block heater wouldn’t work because of the thickness of the water jacket ? So I would assume that I would have the same problem then.
Dealer tells me that I won’t need one anyway but i would like to have one as i believe it’s much easier on the motor and starter.
Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Dealer tells me that I won’t need one anyway"

I love those dealer thoughts!!

We really do not need a cab!
We really do not need a ROPS
We really do not need a safety switch
We really do not need an FEL
We really do not need LED lights
We really do not need fuel conditioners
We really do not need air assist seats

We really do not need OTT ......ok scratch that one....fingers got to happy!!!:eek::)

I do understand what the dealer means, and I am just having a little fun!

But more seriously - if the engine thinks it is in balmy florida in the summer, it really does start and run a little better than it would in frozen siberia in the middle of winter!!

Any type of preheat is miles added to the life of any internal combustion engine!;)

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
"Dealer tells me that I won’t need one anyway"

I love those dealer thoughts!!

We really do not need a cab!
We really do not need a ROPS
We really do not need a safety switch
We really do not need an FEL
We really do not need LED lights
We really do not need fuel conditioners
We really do not need air assist seats

We really do not need OTT ......ok scratch that one....fingers got to happy!!!:eek::)

I do understand what the dealer means, and I am just having a little fun!

But more seriously - if the engine thinks it is in balmy florida in the summer, it really does start and run a little better than it would in frozen siberia in the middle of winter!!

Any type of preheat is miles added to the life of any internal combustion engine!;)
I asked about one and his response was if it was January and below zero and I wanted to look and buy one...he would start it and none had heaters :p

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
You have to wonder why some dealers tell us (and that has also been my experience with both my tractors) that we don't need a block heater and in fact advise against it. You would think it would be more money in their pockets if you are willing to pay to have them install one before delivery. :confused:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The sooner you wear out your engine, the sooner they can sell you a new tractor.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Block heater wouldn’t work because of the thickness of the water jacket ? So I would assume that I would have the same problem then.
Dealer tells me that I won’t need one anyway but i would like to have one as i believe it’s much easier on the motor and starter.
Thanks
No, the block heater actually installs just fine in the front of the engine. I installed one and was very pleased...until I went to re-install the muffler! There isn't enough clearance. Again, though, the radiator heater works well.

I don't think it's a matter of "needing" the heater. My machine started easily enough on even the coldest mornings before I installed a heater; however, I feel much better about starting a warm engine.