3pt stump grinder: NO rear hydro?

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
hey guys,

while back we were talking about getting a stump grinder for my 3pt on the b2601....

well from all the conversations & such its just not gonna be doable if it needs remote hydro for in/out, left/right... just too much money on top of the money.

so in one last desperation attempt for the next toy:

do any of you know of a 3pt stump grinder that DOESNT need rear remote hydro?

as in manual movement of the unit side to side?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
hey guys,

while back we were talking about getting a stump grinder for my 3pt on the b2601....

well from all the conversations & such its just not gonna be doable if it needs remote hydro for in/out, left/right... just too much money on top of the money.

so in one last desperation attempt for the next toy:

do any of you know of a 3pt stump grinder that DOESNT need rear remote hydro?

as in manual movement of the unit side to side?
I am not directly answering your question.
Do you have a FEL. If so it is possible to use say the bucket hydraulic circuit for your stump grinder.

Dave

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
There is a China made grinder I looked at last year, and was discussed here or at TractorByNet extensively. It really peaked my interest, looked well made, and got some great reviews. If I recall correctly, its use required moving the tractor around and just lowering the 3 point hitch down on the stump. It also appeared very heavy duty and well made. I think the brand was Woodland ? (or something begining with W.
At the time the manufacturer couldn't keep up with demand and the implement was not available unles you pre-paid several months in advance of a projected delivery. Not gonna happen.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
thanks for input guys!

YES i do have a FEL & had thought about using those lines with a set of jumpers.

didnt figure that would be a very popular move here.

woodland or woodmaxx? might have been one of those & i'll check into some searches for it.

ive just got so many stumps to do that contracting it out doesnt seem to be affordable.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I believe rjcorazza is thinking about the Woodland Mills stump grinder:

https://woodlandmills.ca/product/wg24-stump-grinder/

It sounds just like what you are looking for, a 3PH grinder that doesn't require hydraulics. You use it by moving the tractor forward and reverse and gradually lowering the 3PH, rather than manually moving the grinder side to side. This is probably safer since you'll be up on the seat, instead of behind the grinder.

I'm in a similar situation where I have too many stumps to pay someone to do it for me. I had looked at this unit very briefly, but when I saw the $2,500 price tag, before shipping, I decided it would be better to rent a grinder. I can rent a 20HP-30HP grinder for $280/day or I can rent a 35HP for $420/day.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I think I'd cob something to let me use the FEL hydraulics over getting something that made me move the tractor around. I'd probably lean more towards renting if it's a one and done type of deal. If you haven't already, I'd consider a walk behind or towable unit if you'd be using it often enough to keep the gas fresh and the carb in good shape.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
more great input & good info on exactly the types of stuff i was thinking...

a walk behind: do they make one thats good enough to do 2' wide stumps?
im cutting everything pretty close to the ground... but thats still a lot of stump.

woodland mills: not sure ive got enough PTO HP at 19 to run this.. anyone got a real world report on it?

renting: yeah was looking at close to $500 a day to rent vs $2,500 to buy & im up to about 30 stumps already... looking like renting would cost more.

FEL cobbing: again, if ive got enough PTO to run it maybe this is the best way to operate it?

many more searches on the net happening here. :)

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
FOLLOW UP;

just got off the phone with them & didnt tell them anything about my tractor... just asked what it really took vs the 20-45hp stated.

they said if you dont have 18hp at the PTO... its not for you.

i said great! ive got a little more. THEN they asked me what tractor ..
told them 2601.. they said no problem running it at all.

but people will tell you anything so i searched around & found this fella on another forum & here is what he had to say about it.... & he just has a baby deere.. not a mighty Kubota!

Join DateJun 2014Posts18LocationPhiladelphia, PATractorDeere 1025R FILBERT
Default Re: Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24?

Quote Originally Posted by dickfoster View Post
I wonder how the Woodland Mills grinder is working out for Kenny. He said he ordered one and I figure he should have it by now.

It's worked out magnificently. Two stumps, one about 12" and the other 24" on the same residential property took about 1/2 hour, including extensive root systems. They were both overgrown ewe shrubs that had been about 35 or 40' high. I think the "chat" on the Woodmills site is a robot. You have to get them on the phone. There was a one week delay in the arrival of my grinder. It actually shipped to Philadelphia from a New York City warehouse. I'm not sure what might be going on with that.

So here's my impression: The grinder arrived on a steel pallet with 2 x 4" steel tube runners. The cardboard box was framed with steel angle and slats. I used it with a 1025 FILB with a Curtis Cab that has 18 hp at the rear PTO. It mounted right up without need for any cutting of the PTO shaft that came with the grinder. It is VERY beefy and looks expensive compared to the junk available for rent at HD. The 1025 Deere will raise it 15" from the grade. It is designed to be pulled through a stump. It has 34 brazed carbide chips that remained razor sharp after grinding through buried roots and stumps. The little Deere did get bogged down from time to time in damp clay, but with a hand on the lift while pulling the grinder through, it was easy to avoid a stall by raising it slightly. I left the rear window on the cab and it was good that I did because it chucked wood chips at me. I pulled the sway turn buckles super tight and have Pat's hooks on the draft arms, so to detach the grinder, I had to loosen up everything again. The Deere would sway on Turf Tires, but nothing scary. The lift height and short wheelbase made it very easy to maneuver the grinder over the stump inches at a time and by hard steering, the grinder moved laterally atshallow angles quite nicely. I would take this arrangement over the side to side hydraulic grinder any time. Sitting sideways in the seat (had to remove the arms from the swivel seat because of the cab), with a gentle left foot on the hydrostatic forward pedal, steering with a suicide knob, it was actually fun watching the chips fly. When the tractor was level, the grinder actually pulled itself through the stump at the rate it liked, with just a little assist here and there on the pedal. No need for extra hoses or hydraulics.

It exceeds my expectations and 18 hp PTO does drive it acceptably.

Ken

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
ok.. merry xmas to me... its on its way on Nov 22nd. :D

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
thanks for input guys!

YES i do have a FEL & had thought about using those lines with a set of jumpers.

didnt figure that would be a very popular move here.

woodland or woodmaxx? might have been one of those & i'll check into some searches for it.

ive just got so many stumps to do that contracting it out doesnt seem to be affordable.
The use of the FEL hydraulics for other purposes is common. Also using rear remote hydraulics to operate a grapple on the bucket is often done.

There are options as to how to do this for your stump grinder.

The cheap option is just to remove the bucket lines from quick connect couplers and plug in the hoses for the stump grinder. Then you can sit in the seat and both raise and lower the 3 pt and move stump grinder side to side using the bucket control.

Next you can opt for an electric selector which would flip back and forth between the bucket and stump grinder with out having to deal with hoses.

Rear remotes are expensive and making use of the hydraulic valve you already have makes a lot of sense.

Dave

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
more great input & good info on exactly the types of stuff i was thinking...

a walk behind: do they make one thats good enough to do 2' wide stumps?
im cutting everything pretty close to the ground... but thats still a lot of stump.

many more searches on the net happening here. :)

My nephew has the northern tool walk behind. I know he's done stumps that big, but I don't know how long it takes. He's mostly doing one or 2 stumps at a site and doesn't do it for a living.