Chip DPF Delete Discussion

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I knew this was gonna happen. And actually a member here told me I was full of it... if I had the knowledge and software, I wouldve jumped on this long ago. Literally all of my diesel pickup owning friends have spent huge money to delete the emissions components that destroy those engines.

Theres no emission test for Inspection Stickers, so after warranty is up, bye bye DPF can!

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Re: DPF Issues?

I knew this was gonna happen. And actually a member here told me I was full of it... if I had the knowledge and software, I wouldve jumped on this long ago. Literally all of my diesel pickup owning friends have spent huge money to delete the emissions components that destroy those engines.

Theres no emission test for Inspection Stickers, so after warranty is up, bye bye DPF can!

Yup, soon as the warranty is up on my truck mine is gone too. I will see how my tractor does but it will eventually get removed also especially since I read in my manual that it has to be taken to the dealer every 2 years for a cleaning. Idk why that is but it isn't required for a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

Yup, soon as the warranty is up on my truck mine is gone too. I will see how my tractor does but it will eventually get removed also especially since I read in my manual that it has to be taken to the dealer every 2 years for a cleaning. Idk why that is but it isn't required for a truck.

Would you double check the dpf cleaning thing for me? I'm curious (no surprise) since on the 60 series tractors it is every 3000 hrs, and at least for me it will be a lot longer than 2 years. The waranty for these emissions related components is 5 years, except for routine maintenance.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana

Yep you are correct, another manual trick. Page before says every 2 years and a page or two before that says every year and when I turned to the next page to the DPF cleaning it says every 3,000 hours then right below that it goes back to more every 1 year stuff. I should know better by now to be very careful when reading these manuals because they skip around a lot. Sorry for the confusion.

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama

i have a gmc duramax the extra crap is gone in 20 more months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York

Can someone tell me what was the first year they installed the DPF's on the L Series Engines
Model L3301, L3901, L4701, etc... L2501 is under the HP requirement for a DPF, but is still refered to as Tier 4. The 60 series Grand L is the Tier4 final, with emissions, Im mostly sure.

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms

Gary Harper owner of a B3350 Kubota not having any problems but I sure would like a contract point if I start having problem are maybe a delete kit when my warranty runs out, please send contact information, thanks

Last edited:

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI

I'm not sure if you have to remove any hardware with this re-tune on tractors or not. Trucks usually involves removal. Please note if you plan to trade your truck into a dealer someday they will NOT take the truck without it. They can not sell the vehicle. I don't care what you do so don't get me wrong. Just be sure you save the parts to reinstall if you plan to trade it someday.

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms

Good information, not saying I will do the delete kit but if I start having the problems some of the guys on here are having I would try a delete kit, I have a 1953 Minneapolis Moline BG, wonder what my hi- tec B3350 will look like in 60 years from now and how much it will cost me to keep all this hi- tec junk working

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA

i will try to post a pic of my 3301 ecm if i can find away to get a good shot of it own the tractor. i want the dpf gone now, 33 hours and already 2 cycles. when the light comes on i follow the instructions on the fender and the tractor still has to be parked for 20 minutes to self clean
I just had my first regen on my L3901 (I think it is the same engine as yours, just tuned for the additional HP) which happened at 16.2 hours. I have not been using my tractor at high rpms, usually around 2000, so that might be a factor for why the regen was needed so soon. I just bumped the rpm up until the light went out, about 2650 rpm and kept working. 12 minutes later, it was done. No issues.

I will say that since I was used to operating the FEL and BH with the engine at 2000, everything moved a bunch quicker at 2650. Much harder to keep the backhoe moving smoothly at this rpm/pressure. The operator definitely needs to get more time on the sticks!

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama

Something is not quite right, either you have misunderstood some of the directions or the tractor has a problem. Most L users have never had to do a parked regen on their tractor in two or more years of use. The emissions system is under a 5 year warranty so start by calling your dealer. Actually even though the operator's manual is a bit difficult to understand, read the dpf section first. You should be running in auto regen and if you have the tractor warmed up and you keep the rpm up it should regen while you are working. No parking is required normally.
that is the problem, the tractor has 33 hours and all ready has problems. i can burn a pile of brush every day but, i can't use my tractor for 20 minutes every 15 hours because of emissions crap. i don't want that crap fixed, i want it gone . i don't care about warranties, just get this stupid shiat off my tractor

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama

i want to clarify what i mean about warranties, have you ever seen Tommy Boy,
"i can take a shiat in a box and mark it guaranteed, but all you have is a guaranteed piece of shiat.

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama

i have a tractor that has 33 hours on it, a tow truck comes and pick it up, takes it back to the shop. i can't work for 24 hours. i'm 30 minutes from the shop so there is 2 hours transporting the tractor. how is this reducing emissions? how is burning more diesel reducing emissions? i know someone is going to say because it is hotter but it is still going to require more fossil fuel. if i'm lucky i'lll have my tractor back in 72 hours, i guess that's not bad for a 33 hour tractor.

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms

I agree with you Bham just leave it to the government (EPA) to screw up a good thing, they have no common sense

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama

sorry about the rant, i have an f250 that's broken right now with emissions problems too.

Kubota Tuner

Dec 28, 2016
Canada

i want to clarify what i mean about warranties, have you ever seen Tommy Boy,
"i can take a shiat in a box and mark it guaranteed, but all you have is a guaranteed piece of shiat.
This has got to be my favorite post so far! Too funny!

I appreciate the pic, very difficult to tell what it looks like from it though.

You know I hear this everyday about warranty. The thing is if you make money with these machines, as in they have to be working every day, then the time they are down costs you money. And not just in a lost days work necessarily, but every day you can't get your job done, it looks bad on you as a business and there is potential for loss of customers because of it.
People can't afford down time whether it's covered under warranty or not. It's up to the consumer to balance money lost vs money saved. It's not for everyone. Nor do I recommend it for everyone. But it's a life saver for those that need it.
Some machines are lemons. They never work right from new. Others are perfect and never see an issue. You are the lucky ones...

So on the other hand, lets talk after warranty what about the long term damage the emissions do to your engine?
If you always buy new you never have to worry!
But what happens after 5 years? When the damage is already done and too late to fix?
When your intake is so soot loaded it won't run properly? or when your valve seats are gone? or how bout polished liners, worn rings, and bearings due to soot sand blasting them for years? How long do you think that dpf is going to last when your turbo starts to wear, and your injectors leak a little too much fuel? That's not gonna be cheap to replace your dpf. multiple times. Until eventually due to engine wear every year you need a very expensive dpf.

The point of my rant ;) is, do you think you're going to get 10, 15, 20 years out of a machine with emissions? No sir. You will not. Keep buying brand new. You will have too because these machines will never last. Not with that crap on there. Which is perfect for the dealers....they get rich fixing them, and constantly selling you new ones when they can't fix them anymore!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

... fixing them, and constantly selling you new ones when they can't fix them anymore!
Devils advocate... not the place for such a discussion so will throw it out then shut up...

the Fixing and selling new ones keeps a crap load of people employed. There is good and bad to everything.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX

Not to take this off course, but employing people long term to fix machines is valuable, but conversely, the consumers who have purchased new machines with confidence, only to find out they now have an unproven DPF system that constantly fails need relief.

To me, I always felt it was only a matter of time before some "delete" mods would be available for these machines. The only reasons I haven't deleted my on-road diesel truck are warranty and annual emissions testing. Like Kubotas, the Cummins engine in my truck is tried and true for hundreds of thousands of miles, but the emissions systems is not and I believe that is where the failures will arise. On tractors, with no annual emissions testing, other than expense, I see no reason not to delete if there is a viable product - ONCE you are no longer worried about warranty. And by worried about, I mean it has either expired, or the tractor is providing no value due to repeated service needs.

I'm fortunate, I don't need my tractor for my income, and I have a Tier 4 tractor that doesn't seem to have these repeated issues (knock on wood), but if I did, I would be the first one in line to see Mr. Kubota Tuner.