Dry Brake Stuck Spindle

BigJim59

Equipment
Kubota L175
Sep 20, 2017
Leonard, TX
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of fixing the transmission in my L175 and of course I came upon another issue. The brakes are sticking. The right side is tight but serviceable but the left side is horrible. I stripped it down and it took a crescent wrench and a cheater bar to turn it.

If it was a car I would pull the backing plate, press the spindle out, clean it up, apply new grease and it would be fine. It's not a car. I can't pull the backing plate without stripping the rear end. (There is a bolt, into the backing plate from the inside.

I have been using WD40 on both sides and turning it back and forth with a wrench. It's really tight but it will turn.

Has anyone been down this road before and do you have any suggestions?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you have it moving just keep spraying penetrating oil and moving it
I suggest you use better penetrating oil like PB Blaster, Kroil, Deep Creep or such.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jim, as Russell eluded to, WD40 is the wrong product for your application. It is actually designed to impede rust, not break it down. Good for spraying on something you don't want to rust, like a saw blade.

I would suggest Kroil. Bath it good and frequently! Tap it once in a while with a brass hammer to help move the solvent.

BigJim59

Equipment
Kubota L175
Sep 20, 2017
Leonard, TX
I just wanted to post back and say that "I got it." Yep, I started with a crescent wrench with another pipe wrench on that to get it to turn. I pulled the brake shoes and I pulled the snap ring off the spindle so I could get some oil in there. Once it was looser I buffed the spindle with emery cloth and knocked it out with a hammer as far as I could. I oiled the exposed side with very light machine oil and then moved it back with a large screw driver. I kept oiling and working the shaft until it was free.

The brakes had always been stiff but had never locked up. It apparently has been a problem for a while because the previous owner had installed an extra helper spring to pull the peddle back It's not required now. The linings looked really good, I guess because they didn';t get a lot of wear.

Last edited: