Newbie High Oil Level L2950

grinolabar27

Equipment
L2950
Nov 11, 2017
Kernersville, NC
I just recently purchased a early 90's L2950 so I'm a newbie to the Kubota forum world. I have done some maintenance on the tractor since purchasing. I noticed the oil level was a little high so I changed the oil today and ran it for about 10 minutes and rechecked the oil level. The oil level had jumped up from what it should be at. I did a little research and found that diesel fuel could be getting in the oil either through the lift pump or the injector pump. Any thoughts or experience on the issue? Thanks James

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum James. We are glad that you joined and you came to the right place to get questions answered as there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

I sorry that I can not help as I have never experienced that problem.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just recently purchased a early 90's L2950 so I'm a newbie to the Kubota forum world. I have done some maintenance on the tractor since purchasing. I noticed the oil level was a little high so I changed the oil today and ran it for about 10 minutes and rechecked the oil level. The oil level had jumped up from what it should be at. I did a little research and found that diesel fuel could be getting in the oil either through the lift pump or the injector pump. Any thoughts or experience on the issue? Thanks James
James - you said you changed the oil....

How much oil was placed in it when you changed the oil?

I take it was on very level ground when you checked the dipstick after the oil change?

Then you checked it again in the same level place and it rose up?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Need to make sure exactly what is getting into the engine. Does the dipstick smell like diesel? Does it look clean? Any water drops?

Water is the most obvious, with fuel and hydraulic oil harder to identify. Hydraulic oil could be oil getting in through a bad pump seal. Hydraulic oil level wouldn't drop much in the trans because its a large reservoir (30+ quarts). It may be necessary to check and record all levels accurately and then let it run for a longer time to pinpoint which levels are actually changing and how much.

Take a look at this article. Any way to ask the prior owner about it? Definitely needs to be solved before things get worse. Good luck, Dick B

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you have a mechanical lift pump, it is certainly is a suspect and likely the cheapest to deal with.

On many tractors, in most operating situations, gravity will deliver fuel to the injection pump. The lift pump is added to get the last of the fuel out of the tank or for going up hills.

If you think this could be your tractor, remove the in and out lines on the lift pump and connect them together and, with a full tank of fuel, operate your tractor for long enough to see if the crankcase oil level keeps rising.

If it was my machine, I would want to start this test with new oil so you don't run the risk of engine damage from diluted oil.

Dave

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
.... remove the in and out lines on the lift pump and connect them together and, with a full tank of fuel, operate your tractor for long enough to see if the crankcase oil level keeps rising.

If it was my machine, I would want to start this test with new oil so you don't run the risk of engine damage from diluted oil.

Dave
Very good suggestion if the fuel level is found to be dropping. Your L2950 has a lift pump near the main diesel pump. If it is faulty, a new one is around $40 from several sources like these.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
James - how much higher is it on the dipstick than it's supposed to be?

1/8", 1/4", 1" etc.?

Did/do you pull the stick, clean, and re-insert to read?

Is tractor cold, or been off for a while? (would read low if oil not all flowed back yet)

Is it being read with the tractor in about the same spot? (Level?)

Just trying to gauge amount of gain, and if something simple is causing the concern....

Hokie, Dick and Dave are three VERY smart guys asking questions and can help you through it. (I'm NO WHERE NEAR their level of expertise - but these were questions that came to my mind while reading your post)

The lift pump is real easy to get to - let's hope for simple fix!

Good luck!

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Another little detail - Kubotas have two engine oil drain plugs - one on each side of the front driveshaft recess in the oil pan? If only one is opened there's enough oil left in there to register high if the new oil was added by quart count instead of dipstick level. Dick B

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>Another little detail - Kubotas have two engine oil drain plugs - one on each side of the front driveshaft recess in the oil pan?<<

Yes, this is the mistake I made some years ago when I got my L2250. I hadn't realized there were two drain plugs, so I was only removing a portion of the oil. This is very likely what you're running into here. ;)

grinolabar27

Equipment
L2950
Nov 11, 2017
Kernersville, NC
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I did change and check the oil on level ground, I put 6 quarts in like the manual specified, and I did open both drain plugs when I drained. I guess I didn't describe the situation clearly the first post but when you pull the dipstick oil runs out and it is not completely black like it should be with a diesel engine. Taking the advice from y'all on fluid levels it doesn't make sense that it is fuel because this would be a substantial amount and the fuel gauge has not budged. I had a buddy of mine come over and he thinks that it is a bad seal in the hydraulic pump. I believe this may be my issue. Any other thoughts? Thanks, James

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Yep, sounds like hydraulic pump seal, but you'll have to monitor hydro and fuel to be sure.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
........I had a buddy of mine come over and he thinks that it is a bad seal in the hydraulic pump. I believe this may be my issue. Any other thoughts? Thanks, James
If it's a severe leak it might show up as a lack of full hydraulic pressure under load. Maybe try lifting the tractor on the loader bucket edge to see if it has normal strength? Did it lift ok before?

grinolabar27

Equipment
L2950
Nov 11, 2017
Kernersville, NC
If it's a severe leak it might show up as a lack of full hydraulic pressure under load. Maybe try lifting the tractor on the loader bucket edge to see if it has normal strength? Did it lift ok before?
I actually did notice that the loader wouldn't lift the front end of the tractor. Do you think it's just the seal in the pump that is the issue?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes it sounds like the seal on the hydraulic pump is bad. If there is more than one part number available you may want to order them all since your pump may have been changed over the years with a newer or older model of pump than your tractor’s serial number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Here's the Kub part drawing for a pump for a L2950 with power steering. The leaker(s) are maybe the 040 square rings. Hopefully there isn't damage to any of the hard parts. Good luck, Dick B

Attachments

Last edited:

grinolabar27

Equipment
L2950
Nov 11, 2017
Kernersville, NC
Yes it sounds like the seal on the hydraulic pump is bad. If there is more than one part number available you may want to order them all since your pump may have been changed over the years with a newer or older model of pump than your tractor’s serial number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I replaced the seal today and all of the rubber o rings in the hydraulic pump. I still have the same issue of hydraulic fluid getting into the crankcase. As I was installing the new pump seal I installed the new one in the same direction as the old one came out. But afterwards after testing it I began to wonder if I installed it backwards? What is the correct way to install the seal? Thanks.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Seal should be installed with the garter spring toward the hydraulic pump.