Well Water Iron?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
We have "clear water iron, ferrous" in our well water, 6ppm.
We replaced our water softener with a Hellenbrand supposedly high end system over a year ago. It does soften the water but there is still too much iron staining on our fixtures, even though we have an iron out chemical that runs in the system when it back flushes. Our water guy said that when they installed the new softener our iron was 2ppm, hard to believe that it increased that much but I really don't know a lot about that kind of thing. The new softener is not rated for 6ppm, I think 4 is it's max and we now have it set on max salt and regen every 3 days. We have played with the settings trying to get a good result.
Has anyone used one of these: Fleck 5600 SXT Air Injection Iron Eater Filter? About $600.
It looks fairly simple, no filters to change or much maintenance, and it seems like I would be able to install myself. Would just like to get some real world input. It says it will treat up to 12ppm iron along with some other minerals.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Long time ago we had a place with well water and it was good tasting , but like you had beaucoup iron though the water was coming through a coal seam. The owner put in a sand filter with something called green sand if I remember and it needed to be back flushed every so often, and the iron that came out was,,well a bunch. the water in the house cleared up and never had problems after that. I dont know if that helps or not

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Without getting into along, drawn out dissertation about dissolved iron in well water, H2O2 and a 5 micron (or less) commercial cartridge filter (like a 20" Cuno) will precipitate the dissolved iron out, it collects in the cartridge and can be changed out and it's inexpensive too.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Without getting into along, drawn out dissertation about dissolved iron in well water, H2O2 and a 5 micron (or less) commercial cartridge filter (like a 20" Cuno) will precipitate the dissolved iron out, it collects in the cartridge and can be changed out and it's inexpensive too.
Couple of questions: How do you get the hydrogen peroxide into the system, is it a continual injection or a one time shot, and will that filter work in the filter housing I now have or is there a specific housing required?
My filter is a 20" 5 micron. Is the one you are talking about different?

Last edited:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Long time ago we had a place with well water and it was good tasting , but like you had beaucoup iron though the water was coming through a coal seam. The owner put in a sand filter with something called green sand if I remember and it needed to be back flushed every so often, and the iron that came out was,,well a bunch. the water in the house cleared up and never had problems after that. I dont know if that helps or not
I think green sand is the media in the filtration system. From what I gather there are a few different media used, some proprietary so they may be a form of green sand. Thanks for the input.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Couple of questions: How do you get the hydrogen peroxide into the system, is it a continual injection or a one time shot, and will that filter work in the filter housing I now have or is there a specific housing required?
I use a perastaltic injection pump (Pulsafeeder) and the injection is connected to the well pump so when the pump is energized, the Pulsafeeder pump is injecting. You can buy H2O2 in 15 gallon carboy's (30%). I use a 20" spin on filter housing with replaceable blow down elements.

Nice thing about using H2O2 injection besides the precipitation is it renders the water 100% bacteria free. My well water always tests perfect for any bacteria present. The problem with dissolved iron is it breeds bacteria in the water besides everything else it causes.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I use a perastaltic injection pump (Pulsafeeder) and the injection is connected to the well pump so when the pump is energized, the Pulsafeeder pump is injecting. You can buy H2O2 in 15 gallon carboy's (30%). I use a 20" spin on filter housing with replaceable blow down elements.

Nice thing about using H2O2 injection besides the precipitation is it renders the water 100% bacteria free. My well water always tests perfect for any bacteria present. The problem with dissolved iron is it breeds bacteria in the water besides everything else it causes.
Any chance you have pictures and specs of your system? Sound interesting but I don't know enough about integrating it into my system.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have had two types of iron removal systems over the years, one which ran the water through a resin bed for iron removal, and its tank had to be taken away by Culligan and back washed every so often with potassium permanganate I think, and more recently one which bubbles air through the water. It backwashes itself every few days. Both also had a separate system to remove calcium ions and exchange them for sodium ions. The air bubbling method is the best so far. It also reduces the amount of salt used in the second stage. Culligan offers a rent to buy program, so you can get one installed and if you like it, buy it, and no longer have the monthly charge. My current system has no maintenance other than adding salt, and the latter is only necessary if your water is hard as well as iron containing.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Stmar that one looks similar to mine.

Re: sludging up, I have not had any problems and mine has been in for at least 7 years. It is however a leased unit from Culligan, and any problems and they will swap it out. They were doing some routine thing and swapped out a part, but I didn't see if it was a nozzle or what. Not the cheapest way to go ordinarily, but maybe safest if you are not sure if it is going to work well. No issues with bath tub fixtures turning red etc. More likely to feel that water is hard because the salt softener is turned way down.

I read the link Rusty. Probably depends on how bad your water is. Peroxide works on the same principle of precipitating the iron out in a less soluble form, question is just where is the precipitate going to go?

Yes the water looks milky until the bubbles rise to the top, but I think it tastes and smells fine.

Glassman13

Jan 26, 2017
wimauma fl.
We also have a locally made n serviced system but our issue is sulpher. The first step is a greensand, actually garnet the installer claims, filter that backflushes every so many gallons of use. Then twice a year needs the system is flushed with special compound. Works great so far.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
We also have a locally made n serviced system but our issue is sulpher. The first step is a greensand, actually garnet the installer claims, filter that backflushes every so many gallons of use. Then twice a year needs the system is flushed with special compound. Works great so far.
Can you give more info/specs on your setup? Just trying to get as much input as possible. Skeets mentioned greensand.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I've had 2 different iron removal systems.
My basic home water filtration always had a iron/sulphur remover, a water softener, an a third tank of activated charcoal (charcoal filter).
My first iron removal was based on an air injection venturi on the main intake line and a resin bed to filter out the precipitate. Backwash was every week or so. My second iron filter is self contained, it has air inside the tank and the water "sprays" through it to oxidize the iron out. Backwash is every 2 days, which also recharges the air inside the tank.
The first option (venturi) was more noisy, and caused water pressure from the pump to reach over 100 PSI due to the back pressure of the venturi air injector.
My second option runs "normally" with regard to pressure, etc.

The best way to remove iron (and sulphur) is to oxidize it before it reaches the rest of your system. I ruled out any chemical options to start with, and using just normal air injected into the water coming in is enough to precipitate the iron (sulphur) as oxidized material.

Both systems have been running about 6-7 years now (each - first one lasted 7 years), and I have no iron staining anywhere. Sorry, but I can't recall the name of the newer device, but I'm sure you can ask around at plumbing shops for "air injector" type of tanks for iron removal. My iron was not too bad, about 0.3ppm, but my sulphur was high, about 50ppm. Both are gone with air injection systems.

My air injector tank was about $1700 CDN (about $1200USD) back about 6-7 years ago.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Sagor and Sheepfarmer, it sounds like the system I am looking at is similar to what you have. Air injection ahead of the softener. The unit says it is good for up to 12ppm iron and mine is 6ppm. It uses a Catalytic Carbon media/filter. Still looking at the H2O2 system, trying to get a handle on what I would need and how to do it.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Neighbor was having some water work done so I went over and talked to the guy. I guess there is more to it than just buying something that sounds good. My $600 may turn into $1700. There are different media for different issues and different technologies even for air injection. The different media and technologies offer different benefits and longevity. The world is not a simple place, lol.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It's been a LONG time since I dealt with home water or sewage systems, so take accordingly....

Sometimes, I've had luck with a wellhead pellet chlorinator for oxidation/precipitation of iron.

The typical scenario was bad coliform bacteria tests in a house that had an iron issue also.

Iron isn't harmful to health, but isn't aesthetically nice, with laundry, staining, etc.

With high mineralization, an ultraviolet disinfection system is not recommended, thus a pellet chlorinator.

Folks not only got the advantage of disinfection, but reported fewer issues with iron (red/,brown), managese (grey/black), and sulphur.

If there is chlorine in the water, you will not smell sulphur because of the oxidation of the free chlorine.

Is it possible wellhead pre-treatment is enough to reduce iron levels to a point your existing system can accommodate the rest?? Don't know, as this is not conventional treatment for iron.... but certainly common for continuous disinfection.

It also requires that oxidation/precipitation to occur in the well casing itself. In my area, too much water is the normal... Never heard of casings becoming plugged due to fouling with iron precipitate.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Offshell

Equipment
B2650HSDC and BH77
Apr 17, 2019
Brainerd, MN
Neighbor was having some water work done so I went over and talked to the guy. I guess there is more to it than just buying something that sounds good. My $600 may turn into $1700. There are different media for different issues and different technologies even for air injection. The different media and technologies offer different benefits and longevity. The world is not a simple place, lol.
Yeah I'm actually getting ready to install one of the oxidation filtration type systems with almost 150 lbs of filox media for arsenic (hopefully) due the ratios of iron to arsenic that I have in my well water. Will see how it ends up handling the water after the next testing.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Instead of worrying about iron, just buy red clothes....:eek: