Mower Decisions

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
I have a B2650 with 60"mmm w R4s. When its damp out it will dig up the lawn when I turn tight. I am actually getting turf tires this week. The cut quality on the mower is top notch. The only knock I have on it is having to cut all my tree branches so the cab doesn't hit or knock my lights off. For the cost of the deck and tires in hind site I would have considered a 0 turn a little more. On the plus side it's one less piece of equipment to break down.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Great feedback all! I can't edit my original post, but I wanted to add I do have turf tires on my B2650. I am in sandy soil, and most of the dirt/woods work is sand and pines. And for snow, they say the turf tires perform better. And there was the goal of using the B2650 to mow with, hence the turf tires for the lawn (which is still applicable for doing mulch, etc).

I see there are varying opinions, which makes sense. Everyone has a preference. So I guess this boils down to cost and time.

Time is one reason I've avoided the simpler riding mower, because I don't want to be there cutting for 1-2 hours a week. So it seems like it's between the MMM and a ZT. Both the MMM and ZT would fly through the property and I'd be done cutting quickly. Maybe 45 min to an hour total with trimming. And as groomerbuck experiences, many have said the B2650 MMMs finish cut very nicely, which is what had me leaning that way for quite some time. I was leaning towards the 72" over the 60" mainly to extend past the wheels and reach out more.

B2650 MMM Pros:
  • Same machine for everything
  • Costs less than a ZT

B2650 MMM Cons:
  • Heavier machine, potential lawn damage, unknown until I actually try it (which requires purchasing the MMM)
  • Resale of MMM is likely low or trader dealer in for a significant loss if I find I can't use it
  • Small hassle of having to remove the MMM to do non-lawn work, and the FEL+BB/rear implement to do lawn work. This would likely lead to just leaving the MMM on for cutting season and avoiding doing other work unless necessary. FEL and rear implements are quick attach/hitch, so it's pretty quick. And removing the mower should only take a few minutes.

ZT Pros:
  • Lighter machine, know it won't damage the lawn
  • Faster cutting than the MMM (or at least certainly not slower)

ZT Cons:
  • A separate machine to maintain
  • Costs more than the MMM

With all that highlighted, what ZT mowers do you guys like for 3/4 acre to cut as fast or faster than the B2650 with 72" MMM? Figure I can start researching them and pricing and see how much more of an investment it is.
Just a heads up on the weight thing ... my ZD326 weighs over 1700lbs which is on par with a base B2650. A good quality commercial diesel ZTR weighs as much as many CUTs

In your situation Id stick with adding a mower to the CUT. 3/4 acre isnt much grass to warrant the cost of a ZTR for the speed benefit.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Mcgoo, a B2650 with a cab is a good problem to be had

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Clover13, no trees in my cutting area, surrounded by them, just wide open lawn to cut.
RFM works perfect me, sounds like a MMM would be a better fit for your cutting needs..

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Here are a couple pics of my lawn after mowing with my b2650. I do tow a stripper behind me tho. But cut quality is top notch!

As a stripe enthusiast, nicely done!
There are way too many variables to really have an iron clad opinion about the op's dilemma, but I prefer commercial ztr mowers. I cut (12) 2-3 acre lots though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
As a stripe enthusiast, nicely done!
There are way too many variables to really have an iron clad opinion about the op's dilemma, but I prefer commercial ztr mowers. I cut (12) 2-3 acre lots though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oh for sure. If your needing to cut as fast as possible and still have a nice cut, you cant beat a zero turn. I borrowed my dads zero turn(ferris 60”) and shaved about 20mins of time off compared to my typical 1hr45min. With that said, if i didnt strip my yard and just made laps, i bet the times would be very similar. The only grip i have about the b2650 for mowing is the transmission gearing. “M” range is a bit too slow for my preferred mowing speed and “H” is way to fast flat out. I do mowing in high range but only at 1/2 hst peddle.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Please educate me... What the heck is a striper? I see the striped grass, just don't understand what implement makes it that way. Would be very handy to stripe the grass runway at the airport to make it more visible than the surrounding longer non-runway grass.

BTW I cut a ton of grass at the airport with the B2410 and 54" MMM. I'm still surprised by the number of compliments I get on the grass. The MMM does a really nice job (once you figure out that you have to take off the deflector on the discharge chute).

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Please educate me... What the heck is a striper? I see the striped grass, just don't understand what implement makes it that way.
It's a small diameter roller mounted aft of the deck, and simply "pushes over" the cut grass. One direction you are looking at grass blade tips, the other direction you are looking at the stem, thus the stripe effect.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Oh for sure. If your needing to cut as fast as possible and still have a nice cut, you cant beat a zero turn. I borrowed my dads zero turn(ferris 60”) and shaved about 20mins of time off compared to my typical 1hr45min. With that said, if i didnt strip my yard and just made laps, i bet the times would be very similar. The only grip i have about the b2650 for mowing is the transmission gearing. “M” range is a bit too slow for my preferred mowing speed and “H” is way to fast flat out. I do mowing in high range but only at 1/2 hst peddle.
I think you're being a tad optimistic thinking your B2650 could mow is similar time as a zero turn. Maybe depends on the quality of the ZT, but we have a Grasshopper, and I can pretty much tell you you can't keep up. And the cut is just a good as you're use to!

This is the old one we traded in last year. Needed a Grammer seat!

Attachments

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
on
I think you're being a tad optimistic thinking your B2650 could mow is similar time as a zero turn. Maybe depends on the quality of the ZT, but we have a Grasshopper, and I can pretty much tell you you can't keep up. And the cut is just a good as you're use to!

This is the old one we traded in last year. Needed a Grammer seat!

Not being optimistic at all. Just stating facts that obtain to MY property.
Im not here stating in anyway shape or form that a b2650 (or any other tractor)can mow as fast as a zero turn on the OP’s property, or any others property. I clearly stated in my previous post that in MY CASE, on MY PROPERTY, a zero turn would NOT save me a lot of time. MAYBE 10min(if that) if i were to only worry about cutting grass instead of trying to strip and make things look as nice as possible. I am able to mow as fast as a zero turn on MY PROPERTY and still achieve great cut quality. But then again, im an operator with OCD and did all the dirt work at my place, so you better believe it is smooth as butter!!

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
In my case I have a new B2601 turf tires with 60" drive over deck its overkill for our property but that is what my wife wanted :D

In the garage on concrete the deck is off in about 3 minutes I slide it off the right side there is tons on clearance on this tractor... no need to drive over in my case. Kubota has made this tractor way to easy..

I have cub cadet lawn tractor with 50" deck for areas the B2601 won't be able to get too .. which I see happening the B2601 is huge.
And holding a trump card if all fails I wanted a BX1880 .. 9 months later I gave in to wife and bought B2601 , I can always say I told you it was too big :D

in your case the pictures B2650 deck looks heavy/huge the wheels look to be on a bar that may not slide out from under tractor.. you may have to driver over ? Pictures look like deck comes off quick ? is it a style that rides on ground adjusted by wheels ?

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I have a ZT Hustler Super Z for the lawns and a BX23S-AU for the rest

We purchased the ZT about 2 years before the BX
Both were about the same price

The ZT cuts at 26Kph (16mph) and has a 60in deck

I considered getting the BX 60" deck for the BX and getting rid of The ZT.
After purchasing the BX we borrowed a 60in deck from the dealer to test it out.

If we had no trees I could have lived with the deck but I just could not get into the places the ZT could. Added to that the BX is half the speed. All in all what took me a an hour to do on the ZT took me 3 hours on the BX.

Given we had both the decision to keep both was a no brainer for us.
However faced with nothing Id problly get the BX23s + deck and no ZT

It all depends on your needs and budget. If you have the cash get the best tool for each job. If you dont get the best compromise you can.

Lastly your not talking abut cheep gear. So dealers are happy to do an onsite demo and even loan you gear to test and compare. Take advantage of that and work out what is best for you on yor land

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Groomerbuck, didn't mean to get your dander up. Just wouldn't think a few sentences would cause it. Only wanted to let others that come to this forum searching for realistic information have something to compare to.

And my guess is, if you had as much seat time on a ZT as your B2650 you'd be a better operator and then much faster with it! It does take some time to become proficient with one.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I have a ZT Hustler Super Z for the lawns and a BX23S-AU for the rest

We purchased the ZT about 2 years before the BX
Both were about the same price

The ZT cuts at 26Kph (16mph) and has a 60in deck

I considered getting the BX 60" deck for the BX and getting rid of The ZT.
After purchasing the BX we borrowed a 60in deck from the dealer to test it out.

If we had no trees I could have lived with the deck but I just could not get into the places the ZT could. Added to that the BX is half the speed. All in all what took me a an hour to do on the ZT took me 3 hours on the BX.

Given we had both the decision to keep both was a no brainer for us.
However faced with nothing Id problly get the BX23s + deck and no ZT

It all depends on your needs and budget. If you have the cash get the best tool for each job. If you dont get the best compromise you can.

Lastly your not talking abut cheep gear. So dealers are happy to do an onsite demo and even loan you gear to test and compare. Take advantage of that and work out what is best for you on yor land
Very useful info! I will definitely ask my dealer if they will accommodate a demo, but my sense is they won't come here to do it, they'll ask me to come to the shop and test it in their parking lot.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since you want to save time and have to buy something to mow with have you thought about getting one of the electric robot mowers (aka electric sheep) to have it mowing grass for you? As I understand it they work by mowing grass a little at a time so the grass is always about the same height and don’t produce much clipping debris. Not sure how much area they can cover but two may be cheaper than one mower. No time needed on your part after install of the hidden wire system to contain it.

And when the robot overlords take over you might be spared elimination due to your love of robots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Ok, so I'm on my final evaluation before buying a mower for the upcoming season...I've been debating this for way too long. I have 5 acres of land, for which I bought the B2650 ROPS to do the work and it's been excellent from gravel driveway maintenance to woods clearing...shame we didn't get enough snow to have some fun with it then too!

I only have 3/4 acre of actual lawn to manage and it's very flat with few tree obstacles. The previous owner was a professional landscaper, so it is a very well kept lawn with full irrigation. I've had landscapers cut it since I bought the place, but want to take it over because they're NASCAR drivers on their ZTs and tear up the lawn every time they turn.
If you were to buy your own zero turn and mow your yard many different ways then 1 your yard would not get tore up from turning. Landscapers like to leave a stripe in the yard. They usually only mow one or two ways total. Do nut run the same path and turn slower and not as clear cut. If you mow a different path each time you will actually have a healthier yard. Good luck. As far as size a nice 48 or 54 cut would do perfectly for a 3/4 acre yard. Anything bigger is a waste of money. I would not use a B series tractor to mow with. If there is dew or moisture in the yard you will create divets everywhere. I mowed my grandmas yard in 20 mins with a 54 and hers was one acre.

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Dang, that IS golf course quality! Where's the pin at? :D
Very nice!

Were you the guy who leveled his lawn with a grader? That is pancake flat. Mine has some lower spots, not much but enough that I see them haha. I'm trying to figure out how to level it back out. Maybe regular top dressing of topsoil/sand mix? Any suggestions?

Also any reason you went 60 over the 72?
Haha. Yes I am the one who put his yard with a grader. There were 2 reasons I went with the 60" over the 72". I mow 1 1/2 acres with it, and had a 60" previously and mowed the yard in 55 minutes. Reason 2 was it wouldnt fit in my garage where I need to park it. My yard is flat enough to run a 72" and I really wanted one. Extremely happy with the 60 though.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Since you want to save time and have to buy something to mow with have you thought about getting one of the electric robot mowers (aka electric sheep) to have it mowing grass for you? As I understand it they work by mowing grass a little at a time so the grass is always about the same height and don’t produce much clipping debris. Not sure how much area they can cover but two may be cheaper than one mower. No time needed on your part after install of the hidden wire system to contain it.

And when the robot overlords take over you might be spared elimination due to your love of robots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha that was pretty good. In my neck of the concrete jungle of NJ, there are many starting to go electric where they can. When I first bought my house I tried an electric powered leaf blower and that lasted precisely one hour before both batteries were dead and I went out and bought the highest CFM gas powered leaf blower my Husqvarna sold. Leaves fear me now.

In all seriousness, electric is coming along quite well. I saw Stihl's latest lineup from this year but do believe it would take their backpack battery pack to do some serious work. The various brand electric mowers are gaining popularity but I'm not sure they're worthwhile for anything 1/4 acre or less without dying. I've read reviews of them being pretty good, but also reviews of them not being up to snuff.

Electric just seems premature based on my experiences but I don't believe it will be long before it gains ground...especially for those of us who have to deal with SOs complaining about smelling like gas or diesel after working in the yard! :D