Loader hydraulic rebuild question..

GA Orange

Equipment
L3400 LA463
Mar 17, 2019
GA
I am doing a rebuild on a LA463 front end loader...bucket hydraulics...
I have the correct kit...all seals match up...
My problem is the seal for the piston head...does the head separate? The old (and new) seal consists of rubber o-ring inside of plastic 'retainer' ring...does NOT look like there is any way that will stretch and slip into place...?

Help is very much appreciated!!! Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the slot you need to put it into is exterior, boil the seal for about 5 min and it will soften and stretch enough to put it on, be quick.

If the slot is interior then you will need to fold the seal then install and unfold it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here's a picture of the tool used to fold up the seal that fits inside. Three fingers collapse the seal and when you get it in the correct position you release the catch and the fingers release the seal.

It would be like you could take you thumb, forefinger and middle finger to squeeze the seal and get it in place. Almost impossible!

https://www.ebay.com/i/112479786715?chn=ps

GA Orange

Equipment
L3400 LA463
Mar 17, 2019
GA
It is an exterior plastic seal which fits over the rubber o-ring in the center groove of the piston head...will try the boiling! Thanks!! All interior seals in place waiting on me to figure out the last! ;) Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Adding picture for clarity...o-ring (blue) and seal (grey) go in deep groove on right side of piston head...the plastic grey seal is the one I am concerned about getting in...will attempt the boil trick in the morning I guess...Thanks!

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The piston seal is tough. Boil it, then carefully stretch it over the piston and into it's groove. It won't relax on it's own usually--and I find that wrapping the seal/piston assembly with a piece of plastic, then using a worm-drive hose clamp to lightly clamp the seal helps to relax it enough to get the cylinder back together. You don't need a lot of clamp pressure, JUST enough to put some pressure against it and that's it.

GA Orange

Equipment
L3400 LA463
Mar 17, 2019
GA
NIW...D2...lugbolt

Thank you! Wouldn't have boiled it on my own! Back together and all is well! I sincerely do appreciate the tips!

Thanks! :cool: