Is a 3rd function worth the expense?

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
Very soon I'll be adding rear remotes for a hydraulic top link, BX2680. I asked the dealer about a price for that kit and also a price for the 3rd function kit as I plan to add a grapple later in the year.

He said a less expensive way was to just run lines from the rear remotes up to the loader to run the grapple.

The grapple would get used but I'd say maybe 20% of the time. Is it worth the $800+ expense for the 3rd function/would it really be that much of a pain to move your hand to different controls to operate the grapple?

Has anyone done it using only rear remotes?

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Absolutely. The grapple will be your main implement before you know it.

blenderbender

Equipment
B3000
Mar 5, 2016
Eastern Ohio
Is it worth the $800+ expense for the 3rd function
I started a thread a couple weeks ago with very same question. Lots of good answers flowed in. As an aside, I found a kit for quite a bit less at Bailey's International, which I just received, though not installed yet. Check out this youtube vid about same. And read through the comments. At the time they were running a 40% off w/free shipping. Appeal to their marketing director by making a comment like I did. Perhaps she'll help you out as she did for me. Mine ended up costing $317 after tax and free shipping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezY5Eh43GswGood luck!

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
Thanks all, looks like it's time to rob the piggy bank.

Blender, somehow I missed your post but just looked it up; great info thank you!

Grodrianst

Equipment
L3430 with FEL and belly mower
Nov 22, 2018
St. Louis area
I started a thread a couple weeks ago with very same question. Lots of good answers flowed in. As an aside, I found a kit for quite a bit less at Bailey's International, which I just received, though not installed yet. Check out this youtube vid about same. And read through the comments. At the time they were running a 40% off w/free shipping. Appeal to their marketing director by making a comment like I did. Perhaps she'll help you out as she did for me. Mine ended up costing $317 after tax and free shipping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezY5Eh43GswGood luck!
Blender, let us know how that install goes. I'm sure several of us will be interested to hear about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Very soon I'll be adding rear remotes for a hydraulic top link, BX2680. I asked the dealer about a price for that kit and also a price for the 3rd function kit as I plan to add a grapple later in the year.

He said a less expensive way was to just run lines from the rear remotes up to the loader to run the grapple.

The grapple would get used but I'd say maybe 20% of the time. Is it worth the $800+ expense for the 3rd function/would it really be that much of a pain to move your hand to different controls to operate the grapple?

A proper 3rd function kit on the loader usually has factory bent steel lines all the way to the front and ideally the remotes can be activated from the loader joystick.

When dealers run lines from the rear remote you are going to get rubber hoses zip tied in various places and a bunch of dirt collecting rub points all the way. You will also probably end up with a diverted valve you need to flip and you have to take your hand off the loader joystick to operate the 3rd function by your seat.

Ive had both and now prefer to spend a few extra bucks and get it done right.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
When I got my BX23S 2 years ago, I didn't get the 3rd function kit. Within a month, I kicked myself and had to eventually send it back to get one installed. I wanted a grapple and the kit was the best way to do it. I could have done it myself, but honestly, I just didn't want too. So back to Messick's it went. lol My factory kit is actually a diverter valve and not a true 3rd function. However, once you get hang of it, it is easy to use and doesn't cause a problem. I would say to get it up front when you get the tractor, as you can roll it into the financing of the tractor. If not, you will be kicking yourself later.

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
For that price you can't go wrong. I sourced out my own components and installed it myself but simply because up here in Canada the dealers close to me were asking $1100 just for the kit. I got all the parts and hoses for $275.
I agree with Dunbar that the grapple will be the best and most usefull attachment you will have, other that forks that is. They're pretty handy also.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

I have an M9960, L6060, B3350, all with Kubota FELs and Kubota third function valves. The M9960 and L6060 also have three rear remotes.

Yes, you can operate a grapple from a DA remote valve but it's much more convenient to have a thumb button on the joystick.

My 3350 has no rear remotes but I have a FEL mounted, hydraulically angled snow plow for it. Trying to operate the hydraulic angle from a fender mounted rear remote valve lever while operating the joystick at the same time would be a real challenge.

Yes, the Kubota third function valves are expensive but everything fits so it's worth it to me.

Dean

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
A proper 3rd function kit on the loader usually has factory bent steel lines all the way to the front and ideally the remotes can be activated from the loader joystick.

When dealers run lines from the rear remote you are going to get rubber hoses zip tied in various places and a bunch of dirt collecting rub points all the way. You will also probably end up with a diverted valve you need to flip and you have to take your hand off the loader joystick to operate the 3rd function by your seat.

Ive had both and now prefer to spend a few extra bucks and get it done right.
Agree, and the 3rd function actuated from a rear remote is the worst of the 3 if you have to reach off the loader joystick to actuate the rear remote lever for the grapple. Do it right if you are going to get it. If you can get this rear remote actuation tied to a toggle or rocker switch that can be put on the loader joystick...that would work fine (I am not sure if this is even available). Lots of folks live with a diverter (you have an electronic button on the loader joystick you have to hit every time before you want to actuate the grapple..then you use the bucket curl function (left right on joystick) to make the grapple open/close. Then hit the button again and you are back to bucket curl.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Buying the 3rd function will save you frustration and suffering from buyer's remorse!

I bought the Kubota kit for my L4240, and it's a clean installation with steel lines and cover shield over critical area. The steel lines going to the front really cleans up the appearance over hoses, in my opinion.

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
With that many votes for the 3rd function, I'm sold; just need to scrounge up the funds so I can move forward on it.

Anybody want to buy a magazine subscription?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I have the BX23S-AU

This is the Aussie model which has a 4in1 bucket & 3rd function as standard.
Use this more than I can count. As soon as I gaet a chance will be fitting another to the BH to upgrade and operate the thumb.

Thought about another one for a top link upgrade but I use the 4in1 bucket far more than the box blade for grading & leveling anyway