TSC subsoiler

RockPileGardener

Equipment
BX2380, loader, snowblower, mowing deck, bagger
Mar 13, 2019
Canton, CT
I'm getting ready to start converting a wooded area to lawn and garden and have been reading about the right combination of implements to use with my BX2380. I've settled on a Piranha bar and a TSC CountyLine subsoiler. The bar is on order but I was able to pick up the subsoiler at my local TSC. Unfortunately the fit is kind of marginal. The subsoiler is almost too wide and tall to fit. To swing the lower arms wide enough I had to lower them way down and tuck the subsoiler under the tractor, barely making it. When I have the arms fully raised I barely have an inch of ground clearance under the bottom of the subsoiler. It fits but when I'm driving around on uneven ground I'm going to drag the subsoiler any time I hit the slightest dip in the ground. I measured 25 inches from the bottom of the subsoiler to the pins for the hitch lower arms.

I read some posts about an earlier version of the subsoiler being kind of light duty, but this ones a beast. The whole thing is made from 1/2 inch bar stock. Unless it turns out to be soft iron there's no way the tractor is going to bother it.

Anyway, has anyone else had trouble fitting a TSC subsoiler? The brand is CountyLine. Looking forward to ripping up some roots.

DC

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Did you get the one for a compact tractor or the sub compact. They have a yellow one that is for the compacts and a red/orange one for the subs which is what you would need. But I don’t see it on their website right now. Believe it was a sub soiler and middle buster combo that came with both blades.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
It's the BX, not the sub-soiler. They just don't have the lift height of a bigger machine. Posts you've read about them being light duty were probably from guys with alot more tractor than a BX. To a BX, it is a heavy duty beast of an implement, but to a Grand L, it's relatively light duty.
Plus, a BX utilizes a category 0 3pt hitch, that sub-soiler is sized for a category 1 3pt hitch, so it's going to be wider and taller, than what is spec'd for your machine.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Some guys have had similar problems with a subsoiler on a BX; it's too long...I remember one cut it to make it shorter.

I bought a middle-buster, which is shorter.

I took the mould board off, and replaced it with a homemade point like a SS has. Haven't used the mould board yet - point has stayed on it for several years now.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I got a sub-soiler mounted on the back of my tractor right now. It's yellow, I think a King Kutter. Handy tool when you need it. I can't really help with your fitment on your tractor because mine sets higher and is no problem clearing the ground when up. It's on an L4240.

I have a neighbor who has a pond that leaks and the water gets over to his driveway and causes problems. I took the sub-soiler and cut the ground between the pond and the edge of the driveway. Worked pretty slick. The water gets in the opening and goes downhill, staying off the driveway!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The water gets in the opening and goes downhill, staying off the driveway!
'Cat - that's exactly what I use mine for most often. Works great.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
RCW, my neighbor thought I was way off base when I was telling him how I could help solve his problem. His driveway had no water running down it after a couple of days of rain, yet at the bottom of the driveway water was coming up and into the county ditch where it is suppose to go.

Then he drove over it with his vehicle to make a deeper ditch, thinking that will help! I was working....why "fix" it? But then he doesn't own anything but a ZT lawn mower for his 600' driveway and 3 acres. I have to remember he is a computer, techy "person".:D

RockPileGardener

Equipment
Mar 13, 2019
Canton, CT
Guys, thanks for the replies. I didn't realize there were different sizes available, this was the only one they showed. Now the question is, since it "fits", do I keep it or try to find a smaller one. The middle buster might be the right way to go. It's shorter and looks to be just as beefy. I thought I saw somewhere that the middle buster comes with another blade like the subsoiler, narrow and short. I don't think I'd use the wide blade that much, not looking to till rows.

DC

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Now the question is, since it "fits", do I keep it or try to find a smaller one.
With only 1" clearance raised, I suggest another one.

When driving around on uneven ground, slopes, etc., the point will hit the ground, and you're going to be digging in places you didn't bargain for....:eek:

Maybe the MB/SS combo would be the ticket?

Pay attention to what the digging depth would be with a shorter shank/point to make sure it fits your needs.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have one as well. Mine is CAT2 and has the pipe layer attachment. I've laid a bunch of plastic pipe with mine over the years. Sure beats digging a trench.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I have a subsoiler and so far I haven't used it on my L4240. I have used it on my L3200 and when roots or rocks were encountered, it was an anchor and not a subsoiler. I'd be pretty surprised if you have success with a BX.

RockPileGardener

Equipment
Mar 13, 2019
Canton, CT
Chim, I don't plan on doing a lot of heavy duty work with it. I'm mainly looking to cut through roots and loosen rocks near the surface. There are a lot of 2-4" saplings I need to clear and I hope to cut the roots and loosen the soil so I can clear them out. I'm also trying out a Piranha bar. The combination of the two should (fingers crossed) save a lot of back breaking work. I hope. If I can find a subsoiler that works with my tractor I may also run some underground lines in my yard. Water to my vegetable garden and maybe power to light posts along the driveway. The soil is pretty loose and I wouldn't be going very deep.

DC

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
one other option would be to add a quick hitch set up. that should lift the sub-soiler a bit higher.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ford - your link is for plastic parts bins....they might dig, but don’t have a 3PH...[emoji2957]

My kids would have liked them on the beach when they were young!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I bought one of those sub soilers too - made a good ol chisel edge on it replacing the original blade......

Used it once - I think I might need to change the pitch of the contact point a bit, rather than dig down, it will rise up if anything hard is hit on top.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I bought one of those sub soilers too - made a good ol chisel edge on it replacing the original blade......

Used it once - I think I might need to change the pitch of the contact point a bit, rather than dig down, it will rise up if anything hard is hit on top.
Hokie - the point you made is almost identical to mine - extending below factory mounting point. Great minds (or idiots) think alike.:eek:;)

I've had good luck with mine - I think I get ~12" penetration. Never had an issue with it "riding up."

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ford - your link is for plastic parts bins....they might dig, but don’t have a 3PH...[emoji2957]

My kids would have liked them on the beach when they were young!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I hit the link it goes to the subsoiler. Not sure what went wrong lol

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When I hit the link it goes to the subsoiler. Not sure what went wrong lol
Ha! Rednecks like me are few and far between anymore..... betting I screwed it up,......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk