Is a cab a wise purchase

Mikeinfrank

Equipment
Yanmar 240D
Mar 10, 2019
Black River Falls, WI
Hello,

I have 26 wooded acres in Wisconsin, 3/4 mile gravel drive. Looking at 3301 for trail cutting, moving brush, putting up firewood and deep snow removal. The dealer suggested I not get a cab because I'd probably beat and scratch the #×@& out of it. I really want a cab, but I think he's right.

Let me know if you agree with the dealer.

Thanks

Mike H

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
You will likely get opinions for either type but I spend more time in my tractor in the winter so a cab is a no brainer.
It is also true that woods work can/will take a toll on the cab; so you need to be extra vigilant if you choose to use it for such.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Is a cab a wise purchase?

Let's see......Hmmm....

Would you like to be warm while plowing your driveway, how about your neighbors drive?

Would you like to be cool in the summer while cutting the grass?

Would you like to be able to use your tractor in all kinds of weather, and be comfortable?

Do you really care if there is a scratch on your cab if you're plowing snow in a T shirt?

Do you really care if there is a scratch on your cab while cutting grass and not getting bit up by flies and mosquitoes?

Do you really care what this knucklehead salesman thinks is important, your comfort or a paint scratch?

It's a tractor, a tool. Do the best you can while using. Stuff happens.

I voted for a cab on my tractor and NO regrets.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Simple, get a cab and don't run into the trees! :p

Mikeinfrank

Equipment
Yanmar 240D
Mar 10, 2019
Black River Falls, WI
Points will taken. I just worried about smacking down trees and grappling all that stuff. You guys are right. "Whats a few scratches.... it a tool.

i'm woke now after getting dope slapped by salesman. LOL

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Started this thinking about threads I read where people mentioned breaking a glass cab door or another piece of cab glass, (knocking on wood here). Each one commented/complained about the price of repair. And I am sure that I would too. But not one said, I wish I would not have gotten a cab.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Look at it this way, if you hit something that damages your cab or breaks the glass, think of what would have happened to your body if the cab or glass wasn’t there to stop it. I would go for the cab and never look back.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Simple, get a cab and don't run into the trees! :p
EXACTLY. However, breaking trails in the woods and a cab don't get along too well anyway. If I were you, I'd invest in a snowmobile suit and face mask for snow and forget the cab. They are nice but believe me (from experience) that damaging one can get expensive real quick. I left the door open on my M9 and hooked the door on a tree limb and in 1/10th of a second the door was gone and I was out 999 bucks. Instantly and not without the pain of an empty wallet either.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Started this thinking about threads I read where people mentioned breaking a glass cab door or another piece of cab glass, (knocking on wood here). Each one commented/complained about the price of repair. And I am sure that I would too. But not one said, I wish I would not have gotten a cab.
99% of my use is ag related so a cab is basically a necessity but if my primary use was a woodlot, or unimproved land use, I'd never consider a cab. Whole lot cheaper to brush off a tree limb with a ROPS than brushing one off with a cab with it's plastic roof and expensive glass doors and windshields.

I know I'm extremely careful when mowing at the edges of the fields I cut hay on, I'm extremely careful about the tree limbs and contact with my cabs. In fact, every spring I get in there and cut them back with a chainsaw or pruner. I got real careful after I blew the door out to the tune of $999.00

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
You cant get a cab on the 3301. The dealer probably has one sitting in inventory and just wants you to help clear it :)

For a cab, you will need to bump up to the Grand L series. Welcome to the top tier of compact Kubota tractors!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello,

I have 26 wooded acres in Wisconsin, 3/4 mile gravel drive. Looking at 3301 for trail cutting, moving brush, putting up firewood and deep snow removal. The dealer suggested I not get a cab because I'd probably beat and scratch the #×@& out of it. I really want a cab, but I think he's right.

Let me know if you agree with the dealer.

Thanks

Mike H
The L3301 is not available with a cab.

That said, I have 4 Kubota tractors of various size. None have cabs because I routinely drive near and beneath trees.

SDT

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
2 Kubotas, at this stage and age, next one will have a Cab

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'll be 70 at my next birthday party and decided several years ago I'd rather be comfortable than brag about my ability to brave the elements. Spent the first 22 years here at the "new" house without a cab, then built one for the winter weather in 2012/2013. That partially spoiled me and made me wonder if it would be nice to have A/C for warmer weather, pollen and dust in warmer weather. So this past December the finance committee (Wifey) was on board to buy a clean used L4240HSTC when one became available. When the ground dries out there will be some lower limbs coming off our trees to make room for the slightly taller tractor.

The factory cab is much more refined and comfy than my DIY build. It's a whole lot quieter, and visibility is slightly better. In addition to the comfort offered by the cab, the HST+ trans is a biggie when it comes to operating it. A touch to the lever on the fly provides a significant change in gearing when needed. The lack of some real snowstorms this Winter has been a little disappointing, but it's been pressed into service (w/ 8' blade) a few times here at home an on the church parking lots. It has been running almost exclusively in 3rd range and toggling between the high and low. Makes operating the tractor even more fun.

Now that the L4240 seems to have proven itself, Wifey reminded me I should be selling the L3200.

Attachments

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Is it true that the cab models seats are side-saddles? :p

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
Is that a Caroni hanging on your L6060? It resembles one I'm refurbing for this coming mowing season.
Yes, I have had it 4 years now. It is the 8 foot version and trims quite well though I wish I could set it a few inches higher. You can get most parts from agrisupply.com
You can see how it cuts in this picture behind the tractors.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would like to have a cab, and I have to agree with sidecar on this one. Being in a woodlot things go sideways in a heartbeat. I know cause I had a cast on my arm from a branch getting caught in the ROPS that i had to push out of the way. Had there been a cab I probably wouldnt have broken my arm but the cost to repair the cab,, well you see where Im going. And the cost is pretty high to fix stuff in a cab from what I understand. Yes plowing snow in a light shirt would be nice and mowing in the AC would be nice, but heading to pull wood out of the wood lot,,,, maybe not so much to good for a cab,,, Just MHO