What size pulling chain?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Right, so my B2650 drawbar is 1.26" thick and has ~3/4" holes.

Excuse my newbie ignorance here, I just want to be sure I'm approaching this correctly/safely.

If I get 5/16" chain and 5/16" hooks (grade 70) and I want to attach it to a shackle on the drawbar, I have three options (that I can think of):

1. I have to hook the 5/16" hook directly to the shackle loop. This requires the shackle thickness being able to accommodate the 5/16" hook opening width.

2. I need to pass the hook and chain through the shackle loop (gonna have to be big) to hook back onto the 5/16" chain.

3. I can oversize the shackle thickness for greater WTT and then get a different hook to match it that would then get attached to the chain. I just have to be sure the pin from the bigger hook can fit through 5/16" chain or I have to add an "adapter" ring/loop of equal strength (grade 70+) to allow for the connection.

Does that sound about right in terms of options or am I totally overthinking this? I just keep thinking about the saying "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" and want to be sure I don't add something that will compromise the entire system.
I use a clevis hook. I keep one in the toolbox of any tractor that I use for pulling.

It's a chain hook on one end with a two holes for a drawbar pin on the other. Small, light, and versatile.

I even keep one under the seat in my RTVX-1100C.

SDT

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Several handy things to know about chain hooks
A slip hook will not grab the chain link so will always “choke” whatever you have in the chain. I use this to lay the chain out straight and pile branches across the chain, then throw the chain back over the top and attach slip hook to chain. Pull far end of chain and the loop tightens on branches and you can drag them out of the way without loosing too many.

A grab hook will grab one link of the chain and never tighten up on what is inside the loop. Use this type of hook to shorten the chain or join two chains.

If you take two grab hooks, one with a clevis, the other with an eye and attach clevis pin through the eye (essentially a very short chain) you can use it to tighten/shorten a chain without having to disconnect either end. Nice when using come a long and tie points.

Hopefully not too simple of information to seem condescending to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I reached out to Tusla chain to get their recommendations for my setup.

Drawbar dimensions: 1.26" thick and 0.82" holes taken with a micrometer.

Here is what they suggested:

It looks like a regular 3/4" screw pin shackle would be close to fitting the drawbar. I measured our 8058703 Blue Pin Shackle the pin was close @ .88 and so was the width @ 1.22”. there was no problem fitting the 5/16” binder chain through the shackle (picture attached).

What would work for sure is our CM Long Reach Shackle M7151P It has a pin size of .75 and a width of 2.25”.
The question is, with the drawbar shackle, are you better off hammering for a tight fit or going with a little room to wiggle/move?

Attachments

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
You want the wiggle room so it doesn't seize in there with rust or grime.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I agree with shootem - this is my "collection" of big old timers....they're bent, twisted, (pins too), etc, but they'll hold up to anything my tractors can dish out. Fit on drawbars pretty loose - which is fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
This looks nice for a shackle...

Crosby S-2169

https://www.riggingwarehouse.com/default.aspx?page=item detail&itemcode=307-1021664&catlist=5759

https://www.thecrosbygroup.com/cata...s/?view=catalog&language=en-US&direction=next

1.25" opening and 0.88" +/- .02" pin. Would be tight though, not loose. I may remeasure, seems like it's hard to find a shackle wide enough and thin enough to fit the bill. Makes me think I'm approaching this wrong since it should be pretty straightforward. I've seen threads on here where guys have had trouble with tight fits on the drawbar shackles.

Last edited:

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
FWIW, I ordered three Grade 70 5/16" 20ft chains with straight clevises from Tulsa Chain. I asked them to cut one in half to make two 10ft chains as I bought two extra clevises for it, if not I'll cut it here at home and add the clevises. I figured I'd do as mentioned and make sure I was getting chains made in the USA. Tulsa was reasonably priced, the only part that sucks is the shipping fee which tacks on like $40. I have Amazon Prime so could get free shipping but figured I'm probably only buying these chains once, so pay a little extra, get guaranteed USA made and be done with it :D

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
FWIW, I ordered three Grade 70 5/16" 20ft chains with straight clevises from Tulsa Chain. I asked them to cut one in half to make two 10ft chains as I bought two extra clevises for it, if not I'll cut it here at home and add the clevises. I figured I'd do as mentioned and make sure I was getting chains made in the USA. Tulsa was reasonably priced, the only part that sucks is the shipping fee which tacks on like $40. I have Amazon Prime so could get free shipping but figured I'm probably only buying these chains once, so pay a little extra, get guaranteed USA made and be done with it :D
I think you made a good choice. I have done business with Tulsa Chain for several years now and have always been satisfied with the product. Like you say, their prices are very reasonable but shipping heavy items is expensive.

I have 4x of the Grade 70 5/16 chains in 20' length, plus a couple of 6 footers.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I think you made a good choice. I have done business with Tulsa Chain for several years now and have always been satisfied with the product. Like you say, their prices are very reasonable but shipping heavy items is expensive.

I have 4x of the Grade 70 5/16 chains in 20' length, plus a couple of 6 footers.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since this thread has reached a near conclusion I would like to discuss putting hooks on chain. My father was a “collector” of chain with no hooks. I ended up with some of them and bought clevis hooks to install. On most chains they went on fine but there is one chain that looks like a slightly heavier link chain but around the .25 size. I assume the different strength chain has different size links and the correct clevis hook will fit.

How do you select the proper hook for a given chain?

I don’t recall seeing too many different strength hooks at the hardware store but honestly did not look or think about it too much, I just picked the ones that looked right to fit the chains.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Since this thread has reached a near conclusion I would like to discuss putting hooks on chain. My father was a “collector” of chain with no hooks. I ended up with some of them and bought clevis hooks to install. On most chains they went on fine but there is one chain that looks like a slightly heavier link chain but around the .25 size. I assume the different strength chain has different size links and the correct clevis hook will fit.

How do you select the proper hook for a given chain?

I don’t recall seeing too many different strength hooks at the hardware store but honestly did not look or think about it too much, I just picked the ones that looked right to fit the chains.

Where I ordered, they had different fittings for various grades. Look at the left hand menu to navigate to the different grade fittings.

https://tulsachain.com/

I happened to be in a hardware store yesterday and they had mostly grade 43 or 30 I believe, not too much higher. Even my local Kubota dealer was limited on Grade 70 surprisingly (some premade chains but no shackles, anchors, or clevises in G70). So based on what I've learned in this topic, be careful as you may have a weak clevis on a strong chain. The Grade 70 seems to be the going standard and is easily discernible with its coating (appears yellow/brass in color). And the chain and clevis should be labeled with its grade and WLL.

In a more general sense as to what would physically fit, you'd need to know the pin diameter of the clevis, as well as the gap of the clevis where the chain link would go, and then need to make sure the chain link will fit in there.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks I’ll look into that site