Bx - Increase loader lifting power

BX Woody

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, MMM, Bagger, Snow B
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
Just a general question. Would larger diameter cylinders increase the lifting capacity of the BX?
By the time I put on the quick attach and then the forks I’m probably down to around 350lbs of lift cap.

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
Just a general question. Would larger diameter cylinders increase the lifting capacity of the BX?
By the time I put on the quick attach and then the forks I***8217;m probably down to around 350lbs of lift cap.
I am getting ready to purchase a BX2380 with quick attach. I am looking at the same numbers and deciding what I can do. I think if we try to modify it to lift more it will just stress other parts on the tractor. It will probably pick up more than 350lbs but safety could be an issue especially if on inclines. My Ford 1720 is rated at 950 lbs. I have had way more than that on the loader and it will lift it but the control of the unit dimishes quickly. My unit will mainly be used for mowing without the loader attached. But with the loader it will be great for working in close quarters and make small projects go a lot quicker. But I feel I will be able to reach its limits quickly.

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
All the hydraulic components of a tractor work together as a balanced system. Sure, bigger cylinders have more lift capacity, but do you have the pump capacity to drive them? Do you have the ballast/framework to support it?

You're getting yourself into trouble here. If you need more capacity, get a bigger tractor.

And live to help others do the same someday. :)

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
A friend of mine had a tractor dealership for years and when I talked to him about bumping up the pressure on my BX, he said the lifting capacity of the loader is regulated by the front end. That would be the weak point.
I raised my pressure 200 psi and noticed a big difference while still staying under 2,000 psi. I would not recommend increasing the cyl size. To many other things coming into play with the geometry of everything else.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Safest way to increase the lifting capacity of a BX is to trade it for a MX, ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
By the time I put on the quick attach and then the forks I’m probably down to around 350lbs of lift cap.
As Red said - you can increase about 10% on the lift.... really is a 20 cent fix.
But as others have said - the tractor is designed around THAT original capacity.....

YOU might need to go B or L

BX Woody

Equipment
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
A friend of mine had a tractor dealership for years and when I talked to him about bumping up the pressure on my BX, he said the lifting capacity of the loader is regulated by the front end. That would be the weak point.
I raised my pressure 200 psi and noticed a big difference while still staying under 2,000 psi. I would not recommend increasing the cyl size. To many other things coming into play with the geometry of everything else.
Interesting, how did you increase 200psi?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Interesting, how did you increase 200psi?
Get yourself a workshop manual and a pressure tester/shim kit.Pressure tester/shim kit can be had from BXpanded (https://bxpanded.com/pressure-test) or kens bolt on hooks (http://www.boltonhooks.com/hydraulics.html). Or you can build your own to check hydraulic pressure. Adding shims to the relief valve ups the hydraulic pressure (which increases lift capacity of your loader) among other things. Many youtube videos and threads on it. You just need to be careful with increasing the pressure too high. Looks like your spec should be between 1790-1850 PSI.

alternatively, others have used correctly sized SS washers...but the shims can be ordered from dealers as well. I believe the increase is roughly 40psi/1mm of shim.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
edit above should read pressure change is approx 40psi increase/ 0.1mm ;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All the hydraulic components of a tractor work together as a balanced system. Sure, bigger cylinders have more lift capacity, but do you have the pump capacity to drive them? Do you have the ballast/framework to support it?

You're getting yourself into trouble here. If you need more capacity, get a bigger tractor.

And live to help others do the same someday. :)
Exactly. People tend to buy looking at price and then kick themselves down the road when the unit is too small.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I used the BXpanded kit, really easy to test and adjust. When I got the tractor I couldn’t lift my welder generator with the forks, now I can lift it easily, but not really high, that is, if I curl it in close I can move it like I want, but it won’t lift straight up. It will now lift my loaded big job box into a pickup truck no problem. I’m happy with the results, and didn’t go over the maximum spec.

Jerry

BX Woody

Equipment
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
I used the BXpanded kit, really easy to test and adjust. When I got the tractor I couldn’t lift my welder generator with the forks, now I can lift it easily, but not really high, that is, if I curl it in close I can move it like I want, but it won’t lift straight up. It will now lift my loaded big job box into a pickup truck no problem. I’m happy with the results, and didn’t go over the maximum spec.

Jerry
I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts on this issue. I reviewed the YouTube links and this looks easy to do.

Jerry, I***8217;m heading over to the bx expanded site now to check it out!