R4’s for turfs

tealetm

Equipment
B7200 and B2601
Apr 20, 2015
Upstate, NY
Slim chance, but I’m looking to swap from R4’s on my B2601 to turfs.

The r4’s Have 150 hours on them, I’m located in NY.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Slim chance, but I’m looking to swap from R4’s on my B2601 to turfs.

The r4’s Have 150 hours on them, I’m located in NY.
Did you get the tractor from a dealer or private seller? Dealers will sometimes make a "good" deal with you depending....

otherwise - check craigslist in surrounding area for those tires - you might get lucky. Or facebook marketplace.

I have seen some places on the net - get the rim and the tires all in one package but $$$$

tealetm

Equipment
B7200 and B2601
Apr 20, 2015
Upstate, NY
Unfortunately I bought it used via private seller (just last week).

I didn't want the R4's, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the tractor with its implements- it was a steal.

Anyway, I've called a few local dealers and they all say they would have to order new rims/tires which wouldn't be cheap. I guess I'll just have to wait until spring to see how much damage they do when mowing- my lawn has several large wet areas which concern me the most.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Unfortunately I bought it used via private seller (just last week).

I didn't want the R4's, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the tractor with its implements- it was a steal.

Anyway, I've called a few local dealers and they all say they would have to order new rims/tires which wouldn't be cheap. I guess I'll just have to wait until spring to see how much damage they do when mowing- my lawn has several large wet areas which concern me the most.
Two things about those R4's .....
they WILL NOT tear up the grass unless....

YOU are in 4wd drive and turn the wheel lock to lock

YOU are cutting grass on wet soil ... and as you mentioned, cutting that will be a mess regardless of tire tread used. IS it possible to cut down hill through this wet area?

Turfs are fine - but unless you expect a manicured lawn without little tire streaks - the R4 and turfs will show those both!:D

questions.....what is the grass? Bermuda or Fescue? What height are you wishing to cut ?

tealetm

Equipment
B7200 and B2601
Apr 20, 2015
Upstate, NY
I've been mowing the area for the past several years with my B7200 which has turfs and has worked quite well. The lawn a mix of grasses, but mostly fescue I'd say. I cut on the longer side frequently rather than hacking it low less frequently. Its not a golf course, but I don't need the r4's to be ripping it up when I turn the wheels.

Thanks for the input, if I can find a set to trade I'd still rather change to turfs.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I have b2601 with r4s they do leave tread marks and indents in the grass and soil even in 2wd unless you have a really thick luscious lawn, I don’t and wish I had turfs :rolleyes:

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Turfs are much better in the snow and on ice also

tealetm

Equipment
B7200 and B2601
Apr 20, 2015
Upstate, NY
Dealer quoted me about $950 for turfs on new rims. Not as bad as I was expecting, but still more than I"m looking to spend. Plus, I have no use for two sets of wheels and tires.

So, if anybody wants to trade (even if it costs me some $$) let me know.

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
Turfs are much better in the snow and on ice also

I have have read posts and other guys are saying this also. Not disputing it at all. My first though would be otherwise though the bar then the R4’s. I am getting ready to purchase a BX2380 and I am down to tire selection. I am thinking about turfs and just have some chains handy for the rear if needed in the winter with snow removal.