Boosted my hydro pressure. BX23S

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Ok, I’ve got an older L 4400D. Needs a little love and care, but I’m working on getting her back in good shape.
Any down side to increased hydraulic pressures?
key in this is "older" increasing pressure will have the age and work hour related weaknesses show up sooner. I'd consider getting all things up to snuff and running well.... use her...... enough to find the few things left you thoughtttttt were up to snuff and were not. Fix those.

Then when all going good... look at raising pressure; yet expect to have to replace other things needing replacing that show up sooner due to the new higher pressures. (hoses, connections, seals in cylinders, etc.

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Just did the same thing on my 2014 BX2670.
I was surprised that pressure did not vary much between idle and 3000RPM. Roughly 50PSI difference.
Started with about 1770PSI at 3000RPM, added one .4mm and one .1mm shim and ended up slightly below 2000 PSI.

I guess my starting pressure was not bad for 4 year old tractor. I never had an issue raising front of my tractor with the bucket at slightly above idle RPM.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Just installed two .3mm shims in my BX23s

Bumped up the pressure from 17-ish
to 2k

FEL seems to have more nut.

Has anyone installed a pressure gauge in line so you can see it when working?

BX expanded gauge is pretty nice BTW

Flat face connector

I used the backhoe yesterday... And it was a Noticeable improvement.

Last edited:

idigmykubota

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Mar 18, 2019
Old Lyme, CT
A lot of folks here and in videos state the BX is delivered with a relaxed hydraulic pressure limit, and will take up to 2000 psi. I got a gauge and fitting and checked, and at PTO speed (~3000 rpm) it maxed out at about 1600. Huh? Wasn't expecting that low.

I also bought from Messicks a .1, .2, and .4 mm shim, where you get ~40 psi / 0.1mm. I added the .4 and the .2 and it brought it up a bit over 1900. This increase effect wasn't astounding, but I did notice the backhoe bucket straining far less when curling it through soil. True test will be when I dig out another stump, as the last time I did this I wasn't real impressed with the power.

When making the adjustment, it took me longer to take the backhoe off and put it back on when I was done than it took to install the shims.

The most frustrating part of the job was trying the find all the parts for the pressure gauge at one store. Be it Northern Tool, Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply, they all left me disappointed as each of them were missing some piece. I finally gave up and found everything (gauge, thread adapter, pioneer fitting) in less than 10 minutes on Amazon for less than $30 total, including shipping ... so I'll offer that advice to anyone looking to do this.

Just ordered the kit to do this from BXpanded... Anyone do it that wants to give me some tips?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just ordered the kit to do this from BXpanded... Anyone do it that wants to give me some tips?
Unhook one of the FEL (but on yours ...all of them unhook at once)

Place gauge on any port.....

fire up machine - set rpm at 2500 .......move stick around till gauge works.

hold there for about 3 seconds..... record numbers..... gonna say you'll read 1650-1725

remove bolt from rear.....add shims of choice...

repeat testing.....

at 2000 psi..... slow down!

idigmykubota

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Mar 18, 2019
Old Lyme, CT
Thanks for the response.

Can't wait to boost the psi.

Love the tractor so far (only owned it for one week) but I know it can lift more than what I have been trying to lift.

asnyder51g1

Equipment
2018 BX23s
Mar 19, 2019
Fairmont, West Virginia
I got all excited and bought the kit from Bxpanded. I tested the system as per the instructions and I got a reading of 2250 psi @ 3000 rpm's. So needless to say I did not add any shims. Has anyone heard of factory readings this high? Is there anything I could be doing wrong that would cause the readings to be inaccurate?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I got all excited and bought the kit from Bxpanded. I tested the system as per the instructions and I got a reading of 2250 psi @ 3000 rpm's. So needless to say I did not add any shims. Has anyone heard of factory readings this high? Is there anything I could be doing wrong that would cause the readings to be inaccurate?
wow - that is a bit high!
Now maybe they increased it with the new "S" series......most have been in the low 1700's

Did you check all four ports by chance?

idigmykubota

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Mar 18, 2019
Old Lyme, CT
Well I am receiving my kit at the end of this week so it will be interesting to see what PSI reading I get.

I wonder what PSI other bx23s owners have read on a gauge.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
My BX 23S was on the low side
2017 tractor

Can’t remember exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I'm going to back up what CoachGeo said in his post. Bumping your pressure is all fine and good but I can tell you from experience that the weak points in your hydraulic system WILL be found. I bumped my 2001 BX22 w/1402 hours up to a tic over 2000 back in 2015 and since that time I've had to replace every hydraulic hose on the FEL and rebuild all three cylinders. Just yesterday I dropped off the curl cylinder for BH off at Jackson Air and Hydraulic for a rebuild. That leaves me with the left side outrigger cylinder on BH to be rebuilt, 4 hoses and the BH will be completely refurbed as far as cylinders and hoses.

If your machine has some age on it have your tools with you.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
idigmykubota, I'm sure all will be well for you since your tractor is new. Mine is far from new and was all original before I took possession of it in 2015. Good luck and be careful.

eubie5

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, 60" mmm, loader, 54" landpride grapple, box blade, rear blade
Feb 24, 2019
greenville, indiana, USA
Unhook one of the FEL (but on yours ...all of them unhook at once)

Place gauge on any port.....

fire up machine - set rpm at 2500 .......move stick around till gauge works.

hold there for about 3 seconds..... record numbers..... gonna say you'll read 1650-1725

remove bolt from rear.....add shims of choice...

repeat testing.....

at 2000 psi..... slow down!
waiting for my kit to be delivered, along with their tooth bar:)
so, say i get the same readings as you, which shims did you use, and in which order? do you start small, and work up? did you place both shims at once?
sorry if these questions sound stupid. my old bx that i had for 17 years didn't have a loader. this is my 1st one.
thanks

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Can anyone share the part numbers needed for a BX2200 gauge? I'm intrigued guys are paying ~$30 but BXExpanded wants $70 before shipping.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bought a 5000# guage to test my 'new' A-C D-14, 19 years ago. Then it collected dust....time passes. Since then I've bought 6 more tractors and I've used that guage on every one of them ! It's like a batteyr charger or a BIG pipewrench. Not used often, but when you NEED it, you're happy you bought it !

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Hi guys - Can someone who knows tell me where to plug in the pressure gauge on the BX2200? I got that version from BXExpanded, but the instructions aren't great.

I am trying to make sure I plug the gauge into the proper port, and do I disconnect all the others? I think there are three? I only have the FEL running off the hydraulics and just don't want to blow anything up accidentally while checking the pressure.

Thanks! Bonus points if you've got photos, because I've been accused of being kinda stoopid before sometimes :D