Hydraulic cylinder replacement

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
After 15 years of neglect my barn resurrected L260 has been running great and moved allot of snow this winter. Now it's time to go through the little issues first of which is a leaking hydraulic cylinder for the bucket dump. I took it off and to a shop for a rebuild but they are telling me the shaft is scored and it will be cheaper to replace it. The question is it's an oddball length and the shop is wanting to replace it with an off the shelf unit but will we have to do both cylinders? Also what things should I look it for so I don't lose any function? Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Need to be careful about what they say. You have a 30 year old tractor so it's not likely to be perfect.

I have taken cylinders to hyd. repair shops to have rebuilt and gotten similar responses. The first time it happened I took the cyl. home and repacked it myself. It worked fine. When I asked one of the guys in the hyd. shop why they said it needed replaced, the answer is because they have a guarantee and don't have time to "hope" it works when they're done. They also have an insurance policy to cover mistakes. They rebuild/make cylinders that are often 12-14" in dia. and 18-20' long for places like World's Of Fun. So they can't take short cuts.

I'm just saying I'd be real hesitant to buy 2 new cylinders too quickly. Evaluate what damage you have and see if you can polish it up.

I have a dipper cylinder on a backhoe I bought 20 years ago. It was setting in a field when I saw it. The shaft had pit marks pretty much all over it. I bought the hoe, took it home and polished with an fine grit emery cloth. It does not leak and I'm still using it today.

Same thing with another cylinder that had a scratch in the housing. I rigged up an emery cloth (wheel) on a threaded rod with heater hose on the threaded rod to keep from making further scratches. It worked fine also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the cylinders are truly damaged beyond repair, then go to https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/
Check out what they have stock to see if any will work or you can have them built to exact spec for a bolt in replacement.

With cylinders you want proper diameter and rod size, and type and size of ends.

You also need cylinder collapsed length and cylinder expanded length, those two numbers give you stroke.

you will also need to know what direction you want the hydraulic fittings.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I actually have a bent shaft on my backhoe - it has a visible bow in it. I am planning on replacing it, but right now it works fine...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I actually have a bent shaft on my backhoe - it has a visible bow in it. I am planning on replacing it, but right now it works fine...
Guy across the road has a small NH Boomer with a front loader and the one bucket cylinder rod is curved and has been for years and it don't leak. Looks funny but works fine.