Zero Turn Mowers?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Looking at getting a Kubota Z100 Series mower. Anyone have any input as far as issues and or concerns with them.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I cant speak for that model but I love myZD326 which has been trouble free for 9+ years. Crazy fast. Built like a tank...and weighs as much as one.

I personally wouldnt buy anything but a diesel because they tend to be quieter, less trouble than small gas engines, and have better power and fuel economy.

If you have rough ground consider an air ride seat option.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Mike, thanks for the input. I'd love another diesel in the fleet, but my Wife will be the primary operator(so she say's now).. LOL. Diesel isn't her thing.

After looking at all the machines Kubota and all makes I think I'm leaning towards a Z400 series with a Kawasaki mill in it, its built like a Tank out weights the Z100 series and is a big step in standard options.

Will start fishing with Quotes in the next week or so, still dealing with Snow here.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Diesel isn't her thing.
I haven't found my diesel Kubota to drive or behave any different than a petrol machine, other than using less fuel and having more grunt. But ultimately you turn the key and it starts, you drive it, you put it away. You have to fill it with diesel, but I might rudely assume you'll need to do that for her anyway....will she really notice the difference?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I haven't found my diesel Kubota to drive or behave any different than a petrol machine, other than using less fuel and having more grunt. But ultimately you turn the key and it starts, you drive it, you put it away. You have to fill it with diesel, but I might rudely assume you'll need to do that for her anyway....will she really notice the difference?
After working on Diesel equipment and arriving home I tend to get greeted with "Your Stinking Up The House" and them she wants to strip me down and hose off in the back yard, which is quite fun in the summer not so much in Fall, Winter and spring.

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
Just my 2 cents;

I'd love to have a zero turn but have been warned by countless people that it wouldn't work very well with the hills that I have. If your property is fairly flat, go for it but if not some more research my be in order.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Just my 2 cents;

I'd love to have a zero turn but have been warned by countless people that it wouldn't work very well with the hills that I have. If your property is fairly flat, go for it but if not some more research my be in order.
How steep are your hills?

I went from regular old turf tires on my ZT to Carlisle AT-101's and it made a world of difference when side tracking my ditches.

Attachments

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Agree, inclines can be an issue, but you can figure out how to handle them with practice. Sometimes you just keep the deck facing up

Don't know about the Kubota model longevity but should be good. I have a 20 year old gas Hustler and it got new belts and deck bearings for the first time last season, otherwise just regular maintenance

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
On the worst one the inclinometer says 40 degrees, others in the 30-35 range.
Steep inclines can be exciting on a ZT and I wouldnt recommend a ZT for inexperienced or less skilled operators...especially if you have things like trees, rocks and bodies of water to deal with. Turf tires on slopes and wet grass can be like driving on ice. Get the R4 style bar tires for sure.

If you have a lot of obstacles and steep slopes an HST 4WD mower/tractor might be a better option. Slower, but more controlled with less slide. Not as fun as using the ZT.

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
Steep inclines can be exciting on a ZT and I wouldnt recommend a ZT for inexperienced or less skilled operators...especially if you have things like trees, rocks and bodies of water to deal with. Turf tires on slopes and wet grass can be like driving on ice. Get the R4 style bar tires for sure.

If you have a lot of obstacles and steep slopes an HST 4WD mower/tractor might be a better option. Slower, but more controlled with less slide. Not as fun as using the ZT.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Agreed, not as much fun but safer so I'll stick with using the BX with R4s. Slow but stable.