BX Bush Hog

Alderman

Mar 10, 2019
I’m new to this site and sub compact tractors. I am sure to have lots of questions. What size bush hog do you BX owners run?
I have a 42” and I am wondering if the 1870 will handle it without the bucket on for counterweight?
If I stay on top of things, the brush won’t get too high. The woodlot is a bit crowded with trees and while I made a trip through with the bucket, it would be easier without the bucket hanging in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scratchypants

May 4, 2012
Godmanchester, Quebec
I ran a 42" on a BX23S, but I keep my loader on while running it. But, configured as I have it, the tailwheel never leaves the ground (long top link, tailwheel set so the deck slants forward).

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you don't want to use your bucket for its weight, then consider adding a weight bar to the front of the tractor. You can purchase one from Kubota, or you could make one yourself, and buy used body builder weights to add to a custom made bar.

Sparky73

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2018 B2650HSD
Apr 28, 2018
WA
If you don't drive around with the mower raised high, counter weight shouldn't be a factor for you. You can always just lift the front off the ground and let the wheel drag the ground.

That being said, I put my FEL about 2" off the ground and tilted up as a safety measure to find any rocks, stumps, etc. that I can't see and don't want to go through the brush hog.